British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone moved to Florida? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-moved-florida-527845/)

theloop Apr 8th 2008 6:38 pm

Anyone moved to Florida?

Hi Everyone,

I was born in FL and moved to the UK when I was 3.

My wife, one year old daughter and I are planning to move to FL next year, most likely to the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale area.

If you have moved - we are really keen to know how you got on, do you like it over there? How did you manage with the lifestyle change?

My wife is worried about meeting people and making friends, especially with a small child to care for.

Any advice would be appreciated!

CitySimon Apr 8th 2008 7:06 pm

Re: Anyone moved to Florida?

I think that your wife might have real problems meeting people... I think you'll find that Florida is one of those wierd parts of the US where there are absolutely no Brits anywhere. :)

Nah, not really... Based on the number of threads which come through here relating to people moving to Floreda from Blighty, it seems a very common destination for people trying to flee the British weather.

However, being in the north of the US, I'll let the Florida crowd take over this one.

anotherlimey Apr 8th 2008 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by theloop (Post 6179306)
Hi Everyone,

My wife, one year old daughter and I are planning to move to FL next year, most likely to the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale area.

If you have moved - we are really keen to know how you got on, do you like it over there? How did you manage with the lifestyle change?

My wife is worried about meeting people and making friends, especially with a small child to care for.

There's is a Brits in Florida forum around here somewhere.. I'm sure someone will chime in with the URL.

I'm in Miami, but it's a bit different to Ft. Lauderdale I think.

chicagojlo Apr 8th 2008 7:58 pm

How you'll cope with the lifestyle change depends on how much you like your current lifestyle, how much you'll try to re-create it over there, and how much you'll be able to live without being able to do so. If you are hoping to live pretty much the same way, but with sun, it ain't going to be pretty!
Not saying you are of course, but a lot of Brits go to Florida because it's full of Brits.

Elvira Apr 8th 2008 8:04 pm

I thought Ray said that Florida is closed...

No doubt he'll confirm once he wakes up from his afternoon nap

Thydney Apr 8th 2008 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6179603)
I thought Ray said that Florida is closed...

No doubt he'll confirm once he wakes up from his afternoon nap

No there's a vacancy coming up

Elvira Apr 8th 2008 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 6179666)
No there's a vacancy coming up

Apologies......... hadn't forgotten about you guys - just not good at connecting the dots... ;)

What are your views on the schools in FL, Thyd?

Poppy girl Apr 8th 2008 8:26 pm

From someone that loves living in the US would never move back to Blighty, good luck to you, everything is what you make it in life it will hopefully be a wonderful experiance for you.:)

Thydney Apr 8th 2008 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6179683)
Apologies......... hadn't forgotten about you guys - just not good at connecting the dots... ;)

What are your views on the schools in FL, Thyd?

Florida schools:rofl:if it weren't that serious.
Move elsewhere NC/SC/Tennessee

Bob Apr 8th 2008 10:33 pm

Probably want to look at getting the visa sorted for the missus first, that takes a while...and if you've never filed a tax return to the IRS, get that fixed first...

Don't know what the deal is for a yank not filing for SS though.

Kid should be easy though as probably already a USC.

Meh....florida, use the search, plenty of threads....especially about the general state of crapiness of the schools there, cost of property taxes and insurance as well as cost of utilities like electric etc

Oh, welcome to BE though :)

Dan725 Apr 8th 2008 11:11 pm

If you haven't already, have a look at this forum - not Brit related at all, but its good for anyone moving anywhere in the US:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-lauderdale-area/

To be honest, there is no general "Moving to Florida" thing - its a bit of a myth. The State is very diversified, from a huge major city area (Miami metro area), all the way through to trailers in the middle of a field.

The general things you can say - have a good search on the forum here, it'll throw up lots as the moving to FL question is one of the most often asked, sometimes serious, sometimes not.

I've not spent much time in Fort Lauderdale at all so can't really say too much about it. Is there any particular reason you are thinking there? Family ties, jobs, etc? Often these sorts of things have more to do with how you get on with an area than the area itself.

Its always a bit of a worry meeting new people, etc, but it's doable; its not really a Florida thing though, more a traveller's in general type question. Good luck with your move, should you go for it!

marcelle38 Apr 9th 2008 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 6180288)
If you haven't already, have a look at this forum - not Brit related at all, but its good for anyone moving anywhere in the US:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-lauderdale-area/

To be honest, there is no general "Moving to Florida" thing - its a bit of a myth. The State is very diversified, from a huge major city area (Miami metro area), all the way through to trailers in the middle of a field.

The general things you can say - have a good search on the forum here, it'll throw up lots as the moving to FL question is one of the most often asked, sometimes serious, sometimes not.

I've not spent much time in Fort Lauderdale at all so can't really say too much about it. Is there any particular reason you are thinking there? Family ties, jobs, etc? Often these sorts of things have more to do with how you get on with an area than the area itself.

Its always a bit of a worry meeting new people, etc, but it's doable; its not really a Florida thing though, more a traveller's in general type question. Good luck with your move, should you go for it!

well, i've lived all over the usa. i;ve lived in ft lauderdale in my younger years..party town, nightlife, drugs, south beach..say no more, now i'm older and have a son i've quietened down a bit. i now live in orlando which is very family oriented..ft laud miami area is alot more liberal than orlando, the orlando area is a kids paradise, more conservative than south fl. the people in orlando are more normal than ft laud..what else? my personal experience is that i;'ve outgrown ft lauderdale, where there is a strip club on every street. lol. but i find orlando a bit too conservative, lots of southern baptists here, but thats jmo.

Ray Apr 9th 2008 2:31 am

It is the most transient State in the Union ..people come and go every day
In the hotter months you can drive alound a lot of development and never see a soul ..all are staying in the A/C comfort

Its a diffferent way of life to be sure ..some like it... some don't

Have you spent at least a month here before to see if you
could acclimatise

Bill_S Apr 9th 2008 2:35 am

Originally Posted by theloop (Post 6179306)
Hi Everyone,

If you buy a house there, cost of living will be higher than you think. Don't forget you will need regular homeowner's insurance PLUS hurricane insurance PLUS flood insurance PLUS periodic termite inspections.

Ray Apr 9th 2008 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 6180820)
If you buy a house there, cost of living will be higher than you think. Don't forget you will need regular homeowner's insurance PLUS hurricane insurance PLUS flood insurance PLUS periodic termite inspections.

areas varyi you keep away from flood plains
yes
no
no
no