British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone having problems in Arizona? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-having-problems-arizona-718184/)

Bob May 25th 2011 12:25 am

Re: Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385571)

I'm also a little sensitive to indiscriminate slagging of law enforcement. My daughter is a LEO and i have many, many cop friends. They are not all pigs.

No, they all aren't, more than most are decent cops...but there are a few who are, and they are massive arseholes in a position to abuse their power, which they do.

Oregon4now May 25th 2011 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9385897)
You can't take that stance, because more than most people with those stickers are yanks.

Seriously, they're showing they're English, Scottish, where ever else in the world.

It's only a complete moron who would take offence to it and think that everyone that had a sticker was a foreigner and not a US citizen.

100% spot on Bob !

Rockstar08 May 25th 2011 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385571)
....and there's the rub, perhaps, because I suspect it was speeding - action.
I think the flag is a diversion to deflect the real issue that the OP got busted for speeding and felt the need for some mitigating circumstance. So I'd ask again, why the flag in the first place?
My position is the antethesis of racism and segregrtion - I'm touting (badly, it would seem) integration - all as one, in one nation (that has a perfectly good flag, if you are so heraldically inclined).

I'm also a little sensitive to indiscriminate slagging of law enforcement. My daughter is a LEO and i have many, many cop friends. They are not all pigs.

Troll... enough said... the OP (me) has just come back from court, and he has not been "busted" for speeding, get over yourself..

The flag is a show of pride, one which my American friends support, and my family too. I guess you have no pride in the nation that fed you, educated you, and gave you security, this says a lot about you. I feel sorry for you.

Karrie72 May 25th 2011 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385501)
I now feel the need to get a British car sticker just for the hell of it.

I have a Union Jack sticker on my Dodge Caravan and it seems to incite people to speed past me, pull all kinds of scary traffic tricks and I have 3 kids in my van and I'm a 'typical' (on the outside. Lol) soccer Mom type. My kids beg me to take the flag off, but I'm stubborn and maybe a bit patriotic...

Rockstar08 May 25th 2011 1:56 am

So I arrived at court this morning, ready to face my accuser. I was told by the court clark that my ticket has been 'vacated', because the DPS had not filed the complaint with the court. No further action will be taken.

So decide for yourself, why didn't the DPS officer file the complaint with the court?

Steerpike May 25th 2011 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385241)
By that logic, someone with a fish on their car should be treated as a mindless idiot.

Er, isn't that an appropriate reaction? Are we talking about the same 'fish' ... the symbol of Christian Fundamentalism? Perhaps my favorite car decoration is one of those fish with legs and the word 'darwin' inside ... :)

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 9385463)
There are plenty of Irish Americans, Italian Americans, Brazilian Americans etc. who were born and raised in the U.S. but still proudly display their heritage with bumper stickers or whatever. Numerous cities have cultural parades of numerous ethnicities. We have China towns, Little Italy's, German town just to name a few of the many many ethnic enclaves of born in America people who are proud of their historic roots and they even have clubs dedicated to those cultures. We are a nation of immigrants and the children of immigrants and it is time to remember it. ...

Exactly - which is why I see this (OP's story) as a complete anomaly. How many Americans criticize or dislike UK immigrants? I've never heard of any such case. And when have you ever, ever heard of a UK immigrant 'living off the government'? Even if they did, it wouldn't make the news - they are too busy sensationalizing the Mexicans.

SultanOfSwing May 25th 2011 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385752)
I think it's great to have people from different backgrounds around. If you start saying everyone has to conform to what an 'American' should be, how do you define that?

Umm:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

:sneaky:

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 9386269)
Er, isn't that an appropriate reaction? Are we talking about the same 'fish' ... the symbol of Christian Fundamentalism? Perhaps my favorite car decoration is one of those fish with legs and the word 'darwin' inside ... :)

Have a shufty - hardly a symbol of fundamentalism is it? If you saw a crescent moon on a car would you assume the person inside was a terrorist?

Preach tolerance to those of other races but woe betide someone who wants to believe in God. How many actual, real life fundies have you run in to on a daily basis in order to hate Christianity so much? Were you buggered by a vicar, maybe??

Look - I'm not having a jab at you, and I'm agnostic, but I get kind of tired of this 'oh aren't we so enlightened and lets all have a go at the Christians' when in reality it is only a small percentage of them that are nutters.

Your view of that fish is just as bad as what Awesome Wells' American chums are saying about the Puerto Ricans IMO.

Awesome Welles May 25th 2011 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rockstar08 (Post 9385988)
Troll... enough said... the OP (me) has just come back from court, and he has not been "busted" for speeding, get over yourself..

The flag is a show of pride, one which my American friends support, and my family too. I guess you have no pride in the nation that fed you, educated you, and gave you security, this says a lot about you. I feel sorry for you.

The noob called me a troll - fantastic.

So, the flag is a show of pride - for the nation you walked-out on.

You also seem to be making an assumption that in order to have pride, it must be publicly demonstrated. I disagree with that.

Why anyone would choose to live in a new country and then make it clear to anyone who might give a shit that you are somehow different, foreign (superior maybe?) is objectionable and disrespectful to the hosts, in my view.

I think the phrase, "Attention Whore" may be appropriate in some cases too.

I'm humbled and grateful that you feel sorry for me, your pity will help me struggle through the day. Now, where's my union jack underpants?

Awesome Welles May 25th 2011 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385518)
Anchor Baby on Board :lol:

Racist

Awesome Welles May 25th 2011 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 9385584)
Little story for you..back around 1990 the London evening news paper ran a small story about how a police unit had smashed this guys door down with axes to enter

The truth about how a little old lady from next door came out and opened the door with the key never came out ....

the axe story was far more impressive

Ray, I don't understand the relevance of this, in the context of this thread. Have I missed something, or have you been at the Jack Daniels again?

Awesome Welles May 25th 2011 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9385890)
Baseball and cigars...

I'll give you baseball - PR cigars are like smoking sweetened dog turds.

sir_eccles May 25th 2011 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rockstar08 (Post 9386000)
So I arrived at court this morning, ready to face my accuser. I was told by the court clark that my ticket has been 'vacated', because the DPS had not filed the complaint with the court. No further action will be taken.

So decide for yourself, why didn't the DPS officer file the complaint with the court?

I'm glad you followed through with this. Let us know what comes of any formal complaint to DPS etc.

Sally Redux May 25th 2011 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9387183)
Umm:

Have a shufty - hardly a symbol of fundamentalism is it? If you saw a crescent moon on a car would you assume the person inside was a terrorist?

Preach tolerance to those of other races but woe betide someone who wants to believe in God. How many actual, real life fundies have you run in to on a daily basis in order to hate Christianity so much? Were you buggered by a vicar, maybe??

Look - I'm not having a jab at you, and I'm agnostic, but I get kind of tired of this 'oh aren't we so enlightened and lets all have a go at the Christians' when in reality it is only a small percentage of them that are nutters.

Your view of that fish is just as bad as what Awesome Wells' American chums are saying about the Puerto Ricans IMO.

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9387200)
Racist

I think we're all getting a bit mixed-up with our irony here.

Ray May 25th 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9387210)
Ray, I don't understand the relevance of this, in the context of this thread. Have I missed something, or have you been at the Jack Daniels again?

Just that what you read and the truth are probably different

SultanOfSwing May 25th 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9387352)
I think we're all getting a bit mixed-up with our irony here.

You were being ironic, I'm not sure if Steerpike was. I was pontificating a bit, as is my style. No harm done or intended either way.