British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone having problems in Arizona? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-having-problems-arizona-718184/)

sir_eccles May 24th 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9385146)
When I was living in Colorado someone had a " ( Insert 4 letter word beginning in F here ) George Bush" sticker in the back window , copped pulled them over and told them to take it off, ended up in a big broohaha resulting in cop having to publicly apologize to owner of said sticker.

Correct result in the end but it does tread a very fine line between first amendment rights and I suppose one could loosely argue making threats at the president. Now, if it had been a picture of a theodolite pointing at the president...

Awesome Welles May 24th 2011 6:46 pm

I can see why someone might want to proclaim, "***** George Bush" in the back window of their car.

I'm struggling to understand why you would place a British flag there. What is it supposed to convey? That you are different? Not of this place? Proud of your country and your heritage? What?

Sally Redux May 24th 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385201)
I can see why someone might want to proclaim, "***** George Bush" in the back window of their car.

I'm struggling to understand why you would place a British flag there. What is it supposed to convey? That you are different? Not of this place? Proud of your country and your heritage? What?

Probably, yes. Like the people who have US flags, 'proud veteran', 'support the troops', fish signs, stick pictures of their family, 'In Memoriam' etc.

SultanOfSwing May 24th 2011 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385207)
Probably, yes. Like the people who have US flags, 'proud veteran', 'support the troops', fish signs, stick pictures of their family, 'In Memoriam' etc.

I saw one of these in a car window on my way home from work the other day :D

Sally Redux May 24th 2011 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9385225)
I saw one of these in a car window on my way home from work the other day :D

:lol:

Awesome Welles May 24th 2011 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385207)

Trouble is, it's not at all like 'proud veteran', 'support the troops', fish signs etc. - is it? The only one of your examples it is like is the US flag one - and we're in the US.

I'm struggling with the concept of overtly advertising yourself as different - and then complaining when you are treated different(ly).

It's predominantly PR's where I live. Big Puerto Rican flags and I (heart) PR stickers. Most of my American friends and associates (of all colors, creeds and dispositions) find them to be offensive - i.e. "I have taken advantage of the ability to live here, but I'm not prepared to integrate into it and furthermore, I'm going to broadcast the fact".

Sally Redux May 24th 2011 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385234)
Trouble is, it's not at all like 'proud veteran', 'support the troops', fish signs etc. - is it? The only one of your examples it is like is the US flag one - and we're in the US.

I'm struggling with the concept of overtly advertising yourself as different - and then complaining when you are treated different(ly).

It's predominantly PR's where I live. Big Puerto Rican flags and I (heart) PR stickers. Most of my American friends and associates (of all colors, creeds and dispositions) find them to be offensive - i.e. "I have taken advantage of the ability to live here, but I'm not prepared to integrate into it and furthermore, I'm going to broadcast the fact".

By that logic, someone with a fish on their car should be treated as a mindless idiot.

SultanOfSwing May 24th 2011 7:17 pm

That's a bit reactionary, since Puerto Ricans are allowed to be here - it is a US territory, they hold US passports, they're no more taking advantage of the ability to live here than someone from out of state.

With the best will in the world, it's OK to be proud of where you are from, an English flag on the back window of your car isn't hurting anyone.

Awesome Welles May 24th 2011 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385241)
By that logic, someone with a fish on their car should be treated as a mindless idiot.

I would say so, yes.

Awesome Welles May 24th 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9385274)
That's a bit reactionary, since Puerto Ricans are allowed to be here - it is a US territory, they hold US passports, they're no more taking advantage of the ability to live here than someone from out of state.

With the best will in the world, it's OK to be proud of where you are from, an English flag on the back window of your car isn't hurting anyone.

PR is a US territory, that bit I get. Can you think of a single instance where the 'government' of Puerto Rico in any way integrates with or contributes to the economy of the US?

I also agree that there is nothing wrong with national pride. My point is that if you wish to broadcast it, as an immigrant, you should be prepared for potential adverse reaction from some quarters.

The Puerto Rican example I cited was to illustrate the feelings of my indiginous friends and colleagues, rather than my own views. Years of living in Bradford and being exposed to Pakistani nationalistic symbolism deadened my sensibilities to a large degree.

sir_eccles May 24th 2011 7:29 pm

What about a Confederate Flag on your car, I've seen plenty of those. Some might find those offensive. But it's free speech.

What happens when cops start pulling over cars that display a Toyota badge, 'cos they don't like what those foreigns have done to the Merkin car industry?

What about the phrase "Driving while black", are you suggesting they should put white make up on so they don't advertise their differences?

SultanOfSwing May 24th 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385310)
PR is a US territory, that bit I get. Can you think of a single instance where the 'government' of Puerto Rico in any way integrates with or contributes to the economy of the US?

I also agree that there is nothing wrong with national pride. My point is that if you wish to broadcast it, as an immigrant, you should be prepared for potential adverse reaction from some quarters.

The Puerto Rican example I cited was to illustrate the feelings of my indiginous friends and colleagues, rather than my own views. Years of living in Bradford and being exposed to Pakistani nationalistic symbolism deadened my sensibilities to a large degree.

Yeah I should have pointed out it was your US associates that were being reactionary and not you, but I think you got my meaning anyway.

Sally Redux May 24th 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385310)

You seem to agree with the sentiments though.

Surely we pay cops to rise above their personal prejudices.

Englishman43 May 24th 2011 7:52 pm

This one always vexes me . On the one hand we get the above reaction , of course not from everyone, then in the next breath we get the story of how thier ancestors came to America for a better life and they are 1/4 French, 1/8English etc, etc.

What is one to make of this ?? Proud to be an American , proud of your heritage or more than likely both ??

If so why then get the hump when others are doing the same ?

Awesome Welles May 24th 2011 7:54 pm

Yes, I think I do agree with the sentiment.

Although I'm not ashamed of my nationality, I think it would be inappropriate and offensive to shove it in the faces of the people who have welcomed me into this country.

I just don't feel the need to metaphorically shout, "Look at me! I'm different". Those that do - and sticking flags all over your car is just that, in my view - should not then piss and moan when their actions incite a reaction (justified or otherwise).

The reaction of the LEO in the original story is also inappropriate - but would not have happened (if indeed, it happened at all) if the driver hadn't felt the need to telegraph his/her 'individuality'.