British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone having problems in Arizona? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-having-problems-arizona-718184/)

Rockstar08 May 23rd 2011 11:14 pm

Anyone having problems in Arizona?

I've been living here for about 4 years, since the 1070 law was passed I have notice an increased distain for all immigrants, legal or otherwise.

I was recently stopped by a DPS officer, who said he was "sick of immigrants coming over here and living off of the government", he gave me a speeding ticket, without any proof that i was speeding, he said all he needed was his testimony.

I have an English flag in the back window of my car, and feel thats the reason he stopped me.

I am not to bothered about the ticket, I have a clean record and can get it dismissed by the court, but the reason he stopped me, is churning me up. I know I can make a complaint, but what good will it do? Profiling immigrants appears to be an accepted practice here.

Should i remove the flag, I feel aggreaved to do so and am quite pissed about the whole thing..

Whats your opinion?

Bob May 23rd 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Keep the flag...contest the ticket and tell the judge he called you a cnut for laughs :D

Noorah101 May 23rd 2011 11:29 pm

I don't think you should remove the flag, unless it was obstructing your rear view.

My immigrant husband and I haven't felt any repurcussions at all. But then again, he doesn't drive, and he spends most of his time working in L.A. LOL

Rene

fatbrit May 23rd 2011 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9383397)
Keep the flag...contest the ticket and tell the judge he called you a cnut for laughs :D

+1

Also, please, file complaint here: http://www.azdps.gov/about/Profiling/

Poppy girl May 23rd 2011 11:56 pm

I was there back in February and found the folk extremely friendly but then I live in CA so that was not to difficult :lol:

But I would follow Bobs plan of attack for sure :thumbsup:

Sally Redux May 24th 2011 12:02 am

That's terrible - it seems that the lame old 'blame the immigrant' refrain is on the rise everywhere.

I don't put anything on the car just in case it pisses some nutter off, however I did get OH a sign that says 'Howay the Lads Newcastle United' :unsure: just hope there are no sherriffs from Sunderland around.

sir_eccles May 24th 2011 12:03 am

I haven't personally witness such things but I wouldn't put it past people to be idiots. You didn't say precisely where this occurred. Phoenix Police has a complaints department http://phoenix.gov/police/commend_eng.html and you know how much police departments hate publicity, it would be terrible if the news reporters started digging into this.

fatbrit May 24th 2011 12:07 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9383453)
I haven't personally witness such things but I wouldn't put it past people to be idiots. You didn't say precisely where this occurred. Phoenix Police has a complaints department http://phoenix.gov/police/commend_eng.html and you know how much police departments hate publicity, it would be terrible if the news reporters started digging into this.

It's DPS, not Phoenix PD.

All of them except the vile MCSO are worth filing a complaint with.

sir_eccles May 24th 2011 12:11 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9383458)
It's DPS, not Phoenix PD.

All of them except the vile MCSO are worth filing a complaint with.

Ah, I misread it initially. This makes me so angry I can barely think straight but if I was the OP I would be writing letters to congress critters, senators, media, everyone I could think of.

fatbrit May 24th 2011 12:16 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9383466)
Ah, I misread it initially. This makes me so angry I can barely think straight but if I was the OP I would be writing letters to congress critters, senators, media, everyone I could think of.

Yep -- if you don't make a noise, you accept the situation.

HarryTheSpider May 24th 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9383397)

+1

I know this part of the world (AZ) doesn't have a monopoly on stupid/ignorant cops, but...

... it's worrying that this DPS 'officer' is of the opinion that you can come over here and, well, live off the state! How does that work? Is it even possible? (and if so, where do I sign up!?)

I've only been here 7 months, and everybody I've interacted with directly has been really very nice, helpful & courteous. The 'idiots' have been those people with a mobile stuck to their heads...

Chhers

HTS

jackattack May 24th 2011 1:44 am

I drove for 15 years in the UK and was only stopped once (for driving at dusk without my lights on). I got a quick slap on the wrist and told not to do it again.

In the 6 years I've been here, I must have been stopped 10 times and have been to online 'traffic school' three times! My husband tells me that I drive like a European, which causes the cops to pull me over, and then when they talk to me, my home counties accent sounds condescending. Therefore I get a ticket.

My husband on the other hand, always hands over his (expired) military ID along with his driving license. They immediately hand it back saying "we don't need this" and he gets off with a warning.

Traffic cops. Seriously, who needs 'em?

Sally Redux May 24th 2011 1:48 am

Originally Posted by jackattack (Post 9383545)
My husband tells me that I drive like a European,

You use indicators?

AZ_Alba May 24th 2011 3:14 am

I have lived here in AZ for 11 years now, and the Scottish accent has been more of a help dealing with police officers rather than a hindrance.

Part of the backlash you might be experiencing is that two Buckeye Police officers were shot recently in Phoenix.
According to a DPS officer that I spoke to, apparently two of the shooters were illegal immigrant from south of the border who had been deported previously for criminal activity and the third was an anchor baby whose parents are here illegally from south of the border.

Does not justify the officer's actions, but may explain it.

fatbrit May 24th 2011 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean (Post 9383663)
and the third was an anchor baby who parents are here illegally from south of the border.

Otherwise known as a US citizen.