British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone having problems in Arizona? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-having-problems-arizona-718184/)

SultanOfSwing May 24th 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385501)
I now feel the need to get a British car sticker just for the hell of it.

I'd get one, if I didn't think car stickers were a right pain in the arse. Maybe one of those static-y window jobs though :)

The more I think about it, what are the odds this knucklehead peeler would even recognise the English flag if it bit him on the arse? Was it the OPs accent that did it? Or is he well tanned perhaps, a bit Mediterranean in appearance?

I doubt it was the flag - if it doesn't have some sport team or military insignia on it, nobody recognises it out here. For all the copper knows that cross could represent anything, not necessarily another country.

Sally - you should get a Mexican flag for your car :eek:

Sally Redux May 24th 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9385516)
Sally - you should get a Mexican flag for your car :eek:

Anchor Baby on Board :lol:

SultanOfSwing May 24th 2011 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385518)
Anchor Baby on Board :lol:

:rofl:

That'd raise an eyebrow or two . . .

sir_eccles May 24th 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385495)
I beg your pardon? The OP gets a speeding ticket - maybe - just maybe because the cop has got a bee in his bonnet about immigrants and assumes that because the OP has a foreign flag attached to the car they are immigrants and deserve speeding tickets like everyone else.

Flag - action
Speeding ticket - reaction

With the greatest of respect, what the **** are you on about?

Lets remind ourselves what you said earlier:

"the driver hadn't felt the need to telegraph his/her 'individuality'.
I was merely drawing a comparison with statements that have been made by pig headed judges in regards to rape cases. That certain actions by the victim brought it on themselves and it is therefore their fault they were raped/pulled over and given a bogus speeding ticket.

dakota44 May 24th 2011 9:10 pm

Ahh for the good old days of profiling...like my hippie days. Peace sign on your car? Long hair? Instant road stop. :lol:

Disclaimer: I was only a hippie because most of the hot girls were. :)

Sally Redux May 24th 2011 9:12 pm

http://home.comcast.net/~earthbeat//...%5B1%5D(1).gif

dakota44 May 24th 2011 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385533)

Truth to that.

Awesome Welles May 24th 2011 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9385506)
Err...shouldn't it be speeding - action?

You actually think it's perfectly fine for cops to make up the law as they go along?

....and there's the rub, perhaps, because I suspect it was speeding - action.
I think the flag is a diversion to deflect the real issue that the OP got busted for speeding and felt the need for some mitigating circumstance. So I'd ask again, why the flag in the first place?
My position is the antethesis of racism and segregrtion - I'm touting (badly, it would seem) integration - all as one, in one nation (that has a perfectly good flag, if you are so heraldically inclined).

I'm also a little sensitive to indiscriminate slagging of law enforcement. My daughter is a LEO and i have many, many cop friends. They are not all pigs.

Englishman43 May 24th 2011 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 9385531)
Ahh for the good old days of profiling...like my hippie days. Peace sign on your car? Long hair? Instant road stop. :lol:

Disclaimer: I was only a hippie because most of the hot girls were. :)

Funny you say that, I used to travel to and from the US and Oz to England several times a year, at the time I was wearing rings, earrings, necklaces , always carried a guitar and backpack and wore t-shirt and sandels result everytime I came through the airport I'd get hassled.

Finally got PO'ed so removed all the jewelry & guitar, changed to a button down shirt and dress shoes and my carry on became a laptop bag result never been hassled since.

Ray May 24th 2011 9:41 pm

[QUOTE=Awesome Welles;9385571
I'm also a little sensitive to indiscriminate slagging of law enforcement. My daughter is a LEO and i have many, many cop friends. They are not all pigs.[/QUOTE]

Little story for you..back around 1990 the London evening news paper ran a small story about how a police unit had smashed this guys door down with axes to enter

The truth about how a little old lady from next door came out and opened the door with the key never came out ....

the axe story was far more impressive

Giantaxe May 24th 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385571)
I'm also a little sensitive to indiscriminate slagging of law enforcement. My daughter is a LEO and i have many, many cop friends. They are not all pigs.

Was the OP indiscriminately slagging off law enforcement? Seems to me, assuming his story is correct, he has a legitimate gripe about this individual's conduct.

dakota44 May 24th 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9385582)
Funny you say that, I used to travel to and from the US and Oz to England several times a year, at the time I was wearing rings, earrings, necklaces , always carried a guitar and backpack and wore t-shirt and sandels result everytime I came through the airport I'd get hassled.

Clearly you were a dope smuggler. :sneaky::lol:

Sally Redux May 24th 2011 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385571)
....and there's the rub, perhaps, because I suspect it was speeding - action.
I think the flag is a diversion to deflect the real issue that the OP got busted for speeding and felt the need for some mitigating circumstance. So I'd ask again, why the flag in the first place?
My position is the antethesis of racism and segregrtion - I'm touting (badly, it would seem) integration - all as one, in one nation (that has a perfectly good flag, if you are so heraldically inclined).

I think it's great to have people from different backgrounds around. If you start saying everyone has to conform to what an 'American' should be, how do you define that?

Bob May 25th 2011 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385310)
PR is a US territory, that bit I get. Can you think of a single instance where the 'government' of Puerto Rico in any way integrates with or contributes to the economy of the US?

Baseball and cigars...

Bob May 25th 2011 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9385378)
Yes, I think I do agree with the sentiment.

Although I'm not ashamed of my nationality, I think it would be inappropriate and offensive to shove it in the faces of the people who have welcomed me into this country.

I just don't feel the need to metaphorically shout, "Look at me! I'm different". Those that do - and sticking flags all over your car is just that, in my view - should not then piss and moan when their actions incite a reaction (justified or otherwise).

The reaction of the LEO in the original story is also inappropriate - but would not have happened (if indeed, it happened at all) if the driver hadn't felt the need to telegraph his/her 'individuality'.

You can't take that stance, because more than most people with those stickers are yanks.

Seriously, they're showing they're English, Scottish, where ever else in the world.

It's only a complete moron who would take offence to it and think that everyone that had a sticker was a foreigner and not a US citizen.