Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone else have problems adjusting??

anyone else have problems adjusting??

Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:31 pm

SafetyNet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone else have problems adjusting??

Originally Posted by Tracym
Hello then Beenish, nice to meet you.
Nice to meet you too Tracy
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Damn ..I hate changes ...
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Damn ..I hate changes ...
soiled your nappy again have you?
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
I moved from England to Texas in Feb 2005 and then I moved from Texas to California in April. Talk about culture shocks. We are only in CA for a year. I'm looking forward to leaving here. It was an experience, one I am glad I took (I always thought I was missing something living in Texas, and longed for the bright lights of LA or New York).
California (IMO) is faceless, dirty, and lacking community spirit. What you drive and what you earn are what define you.
Get out, run for your life, save yourself . . .
Sounds like yet another So Cal (Southern California) experience to me! After 24 years here, I have to say, I'm now finding some good spots in the greater LA area when I have to visit there - Santa Monica, downtown Pasadena, etc - but it is NOT a place you should head for on a first visit, if you want to avoid culture shock.

I would say that, even though San Francisco and LA are both in California they are vastly different. Culturally, SF is closer to Boston, Chicago, NY. All these cities are tight communities, car-unfriendly, have significant public transit systems, densly populated (in a good way), very cosmopolitan. LA is closer in culture to Dallas, Houston, Atlanta - the more modern, sprawling cities that have a freeway culture, and where public transit is an afterthought.

Every place here has its merits, but in order to avoid culture shock on first arrival, I would recommend one of the former list of cities as a starting point. Starting out in Dallas, LA, Atlanta could be tough. Seek out an older, established neighborhood with some character.

SF has a major, major homeless problem at the moment, ironically because it is a caring and compassionate city. The rumor is, everywhere else in the country sends their homeless here because SF won't throw them in jail like everywhere else.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
soiled your nappy again have you?
Careful... I am only now getting used to you being here ...
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Careful... I am only now getting used to you being here ...
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
SF has a major, major homeless problem at the moment, ironically because it is a caring and compassionate city. The rumor is, everywhere else in the country sends their homeless here because SF won't throw them in jail like everywhere else.
Certainly the homeless are tolerated far more than most other places, and this usually ends up being counterproductive in that the homeless issue becomes essentially 'untouchable' politically. Otoh, aside from Southern California, if you're going to be homeless, the climate in SF is probably the best place to do it in that it doesn't suffer from extremes of cold and heat. Being homeless in NY would literally be a rather more chiiling experience than being homeless in SF.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tracym
I'm a yank, so can't really talk to adjusting. Though I admit I might find parts of California difficult.

There are so many different places, cultures, landscapes in the U.S. There are small towns where you can walk around and shop. There are places miles and miles from shopping malls. No pre-fab houses anywhere near where I live for example.

If one place isn't for you - try looking for another. Travel around a bit if you're able...

Welcome - and good luck!
I was gonna say that too Tracy. California is huge! I have been to Corona a few times.. the drivers scare the shite out of me.. we actually saw a fatal accident happen right in front of us on the freeway. I don't think you can say that one town is representative of the whole of California. You want something different.. and you worked hard to get here, so I wouldnt just give up based on the limited experience you have of the US.

The whole country is your oyster.. but then you might be allergic to shellfish.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Sounds like yet another So Cal (Southern California) experience to me! After 24 years here, I have to say, I'm now finding some good spots in the greater LA area when I have to visit there - Santa Monica, downtown Pasadena, etc - but it is NOT a place you should head for on a first visit, if you want to avoid culture shock.

I would say that, even though San Francisco and LA are both in California they are vastly different. Culturally, SF is closer to Boston, Chicago, NY. All these cities are tight communities, car-unfriendly, have significant public transit systems, densly populated (in a good way), very cosmopolitan. LA is closer in culture to Dallas, Houston, Atlanta - the more modern, sprawling cities that have a freeway culture, and where public transit is an afterthought.

Every place here has its merits, but in order to avoid culture shock on first arrival, I would recommend one of the former list of cities as a starting point. Starting out in Dallas, LA, Atlanta could be tough. Seek out an older, established neighborhood with some character.

I am pleased you said it and you are right...Plus NoCal is like a different state much nicer we are in the valley move here we will look after you
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:05 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I lived in Athens, GA for 4 years, a small-ish town in Georgia that is unlike any other small town in Georgia and unlike any major cities in Georgia ... because it is home to the University of Georgia.

I went to UGA thus my nick!

Woohoo! Goooo DAWGS!!! Sic'em! Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof!

Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:52 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am pleased you said it and you are right...Plus NoCal is like a different state much nicer we are in the valley move here we will look after you
Every now and then there's a move to split it into 2 states.
Named, naturally: Northern California and Mars.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:14 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew

I went to UGA thus my nick!

Woohoo! Goooo DAWGS!!! Sic'em! Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof!

http://www.bk.psu.edu/faculty/ramsey/uga.jpg
Ah, so you do belong the Mad Hatter's club? Any free passes available?

---
Old Dec 14th 2007, 1:43 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
You know that would not be such a bad idea as we are certainly that far apart in our life style and culture here.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:56 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You know that would not be such a bad idea as we are certainly that far apart in our life style and culture here.
Whats the difference between LA and Yoghurt (yogurt)?
Yoghurt has culture.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Xebedee
at one time even three states: northern, central, and southern california.

for the most part i've lived in central california; spent 4 years down south and was so glad when i returned.

that said, my experience moving from base to base prior to living in california did get me used to visiting the local attractions and enjoying what made each place and the people living there special.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.