Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any other Brits in Midcoast Maine?

Any other Brits in Midcoast Maine?

Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any other Brits in Midcoast Maine?

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup, that's the place.

Don't they do the free tours any more then?
Not sure about free ones. We got a Groupon as a Christmas present that included the tour, tasting, free shot glasses, and $20 to spend in the shop.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tildamai
What is the vodka place Bob? I think the raceway is still in Oxford, I am sure we have driven past it a few times. Hi Montfan, what bread do they do in TJ's?
TJ do really nice European style bread that toasts well and isn't too sweet or pasty feeling. Also crumpets. Standard Baking have good bread and also try Aurora Provisions on the West End and Scratch Bakery in South portland for the best bagels in the world.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
TJ do really nice European style bread that toasts well and isn't too sweet or pasty feeling. Also crumpets. Standard Baking have good bread and also try Aurora Provisions on the West End and Scratch Bakery in South portland for the best bagels in the world.
If you're up for a bit of a pleasant drive, the Co-Op in Belfast do fab stuff too, sausages and lamb but you've got to ask for the lamb as it's usually in the fridge out back.

And not that anyone would casually end up in Skowhegan, but if you did, Kniffin's do the best sausages and especially bacon, pretty close to English style but that is a bit pricey but they make it fresh themselves.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you're up for a bit of a pleasant drive, the Co-Op in Belfast do fab stuff too, sausages and lamb but you've got to ask for the lamb as it's usually in the fridge out back.

And not that anyone would casually end up in Skowhegan, but if you did, Kniffin's do the best sausages and especially bacon, pretty close to English style but that is a bit pricey but they make it fresh themselves.
Yes that would be a nice summer drive
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I occasionally drive through Skowvegas :-)
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Tildamai is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully we will get the chance to do a trip up the coast over the summer, i'd love to see more of that part of Maine. I don't eat meat but would be interested to know if anyone knows of some good farmers markets! That and flea markets/antiques places off the beaten track where I might be able to find some 'English pine' furniture.. most of what I have found furniture wise is dark wood and I love that pale pine stuff.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of furniture in Maine, any suggestions on where I could get a decent bed from? Looking to spend around $400. Doesn't have to be anything special, just something that'll stay together longer than the cheapo frame we bought from Chapter 11
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tildamai
Hopefully we will get the chance to do a trip up the coast over the summer, i'd love to see more of that part of Maine. I don't eat meat but would be interested to know if anyone knows of some good farmers markets! That and flea markets/antiques places off the beaten track where I might be able to find some 'English pine' furniture.. most of what I have found furniture wise is dark wood and I love that pale pine stuff.
There are hundreds of decent flea markets all along Rt1a from Rockland out to Ellesworth...the ones by Searsport are worth the hike.

Farmers markets, same thing, most of those towns have one. Rockland and Belfast especially. But you also get loads of fruit/veg/fish folks selling things in little stores along the road.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Speaking of furniture in Maine, any suggestions on where I could get a decent bed from? Looking to spend around $400. Doesn't have to be anything special, just something that'll stay together longer than the cheapo frame we bought from Chapter 11
Perry's Furniture in Belfast. We got ours there, mentioned we were looking at a mattress at a big box store so we negotiated a deal and he delivered it the next morning and had it put together. Offered to deliver it that evening as we were across town but we still had crap to clear out

Anyway, really nice stuff, big range of prices but would definitely recommend them.

We got a slay style bed and apart from the kids scuffing the finish at the foot of the bed, it's still in great shape and it's 10 years old now and about that money plus the mattress.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good stuff, i'll look into it. Cheers Bob