Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Boston

Moving to Boston

Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

otter_rocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Boston

I'm a US citizen with a UK citizen spouse. We're now at the penultimate stage of the CR1 visa process and looking ahead to get ready for the move. My husband has a huge amount to sort out on his end, and I'm here in Boston trying to think of anything I can do to ease the transition. So, UK expats: what did people do for you when you emigrated that made it easier on you? Or in hindsight, what could have been done?

I've already sorted out what he'll need to do to get a driver's license here. He's already covered on my health insurance. I've made a start at a resume template for him with guidance so he knows how to make his CV into something American-friendly, and I plan on collecting some job hunting resources to help him get started. I'm also going to have a list of volunteer opportunities ready. For his last visit I made him a neighborhood map with important locations marked, along with some hot spots in Boston. We have easy access to public transit so he won't have difficulty getting around even without a license. I've identified local sources for imported food so we can pick up some of his favorites from home. Suggestions for other things? Thank you for reading!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Boston

Read the wiki.

There's a great thing in there about stuff to do and think about.

For jobs, get on LinkedIn and hammer any and all contacts and hit any and all networking events being held, but that'll depend on the field of work.

For food, Kiki's in Brighton seems to be the mother load for cost/price/availability. Then you've got Ocean State and Trader Joes etc for the other random things. H-Mart, the Korean grocery store in Burlington is also great as are the various dodgy little Indian grocery stores in the area.

Boston Brits, on Facebook is a good group to join too, lot of events and the like get posted on that.

Last summer had a slew of threads on Boston and the burbs, with a lot of decent advice, if the search is working you might be able to find a few that'll help.

Good luck and welcome to BE!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

otter_rocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Boston

Thanks. I'll definitely do more ferreting around when search functionality permits.