Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any other Brits in Midcoast Maine?

Any other Brits in Midcoast Maine?

Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Tildamai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any other Brits in Midcoast Maine?

Hi all, anyone else live around the Brunswick area of Maine?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any other Brits in Midcoast Maine?

There's someone near Augusta....but really, that's just down the road and it's all relative.

We used to live up out that way.

Don't know where all the Brits live, but there were always loads milling around the Trader Joes in Portland every time we've stopped by....and all over the coastal Rt1a area.

Anyway, welcome to BE...what brought you to ME?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bob!
I still haven't made it into Trader Joe's..it's on my list! I presume they sell the odd bit of British food? I am so badly missing Sainsbury's, the British section in Shaw's just isn't good enough, I recently parted with $7 for a small bottle of golden syrup!
My husband is from Maine which is what brought me here.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hit or miss on that front, but they do have a lot of similar stuff.

They have a lot of the cereals and similar snack items and generally pretty decent.

If you find a Ocean State Job Lots or a Big Lots, they often had a fair bit of Brit stuff and cheaply. At the mo, OS have Golden Syrup for $3 and 120 count Typhoo for $3-4 as well.

Shaws, in Freeport, last time at least had a really decent Brit section.

If you get the chance to head to Belfast and Camden, you can find quite a lot of decent stuff there as well....also, Whales Tooth Pub in Lincolnvile between those towns probably has the best fish and chips I've had here.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm between Brunswick and Portland! Did you just arrive recently?

I was in Trader Joes yesterday evening stocking up on crumpets...
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Oooh Crumpets! I bought a Paul Hollywood recipe book recently on Amazon so I could make crumpets at home! I miss the M&S ones

Thanks for the heads up Bob, I tried a 'big lot' earlier but no luck. I will get my husband to try the OSJL next week when he is up near Oxford. I have discovered the Freeport Shaws (for my proper baked bean fix) and the British goods store, though it is rather expensive for a packet of prawn cocktail crisps! lol
I have been in Maine since last summer, where about's are you kins? I am planning a trip to Portland soon so I can see what the fuss is all about with Trader Joe's! I have a German friend who also swears by it!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Tildamai
...and the British goods store, though it is rather expensive for a packet of prawn cocktail crisps! lol
It's fab a day or so after a holiday, when they have big sales going.

The vodka place going down the other way as you head into Freeport is worth a visit too.

Downtown Portland is a lot of fun. Got to check out Duckfat, it's a fab place for a bite to eat at lunch in the old port!

And speaking of Oxford, the raceway, is that still there? We used to live up that way too, years ago
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just outside of Portland and Trader Joe's is a lifesaver for me too. Good tea, irish butter and really nice bread in addition to the crumpets. They have a lovely wine selection also. You have to come to Portland and go to RI-Ra for a full Irish/English breakfast, also try their amazing shepherds pie.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the one that's in Augusta but I go to Brunswick every now and again. A fellow Brit used to live down there and there's one or two more I know of. The Brits in Maine group on facebook is a great way of connecting us.

We went to Trader Joes on Saturday to stock up on crumpets, granola and good cheese. I'm sure I saw the wife sneak some wine in too.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi Southy, I will take a look on FB then!
I have spent a bit of time wandering the old port over the years as I have family in Portland, I have been in all the Irish pubs though no fry up for me- I don't eat meat and have yet to find somewhere that does a good veggie breakfast!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:15 am
Just Joined

What is the vodka place Bob? I think the raceway is still in Oxford, I am sure we have driven past it a few times. Hi Montfan, what bread do they do in TJ's?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

If its the one I went to recently, it's Cold River Distillery. If it's something you're interested in, look on Groupon for a voucher.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 11:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
If its the one I went to recently, it's Cold River Distillery. If it's something you're interested in, look on Groupon for a voucher.
Yup, that's the place.

Don't they do the free tours any more then?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Sounds like it might be worth a visit! I will have to pay more attention to my groupon emails. Anyone know where to find proper croissants? I have tried several places and the closest I have got is the standard bakery in Portland, the supermarket ones are very unusual to put it politely.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Waving at you Not resident, but a regular visitor to Brunswick/Bath/Phippsburg etc.

SB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.