Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another benefit for being a Dual Citizen.

Another benefit for being a Dual Citizen.

Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another benefit for being a Dual Citizen.

Yes!!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:19 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Wow and I've never even heard of it!
Reminds me of the scene in Daddy day care where the nerd turns out to be an excellent child minder because he mistakingly read the Dr. Spock book.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

My mother's parents followed the Spock book.

The results are for life and they're heartbreaking. It will take several generations to undo the damage that one book did.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:23 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

The results are for life and they're heartbreaking. It will take several generations to undo the damage that one book did.

I've heard of it, but never seen it - and now I'd be scared to open it in case I got any ideas! whats so bad about it?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:41 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I've heard of it, but never seen it - and now I'd be scared to open it in case I got any ideas! whats so bad about it?
Oh ffs ..... he wasn't that bad.

It's like anything ..... if you don't use your own judgment and common sense (or if you don't have any) and rely completely on pop-psychology to raise your children - there are going to be problems.

Dr. Spock & his theories are still widely respected and used today. His approach was one of the first to encourage affection and respect over discipline and punishment. To actually treat the child like a human being rather than a disobedient pet. He advocated picking your baby up when he cried (prior to that doctors told mothers that it would "spoil" the child to do so). The idea was to treat the child as an individual and try to help them find out where they "fit in" rather than force them to conform to rigid societal requirements - which was the norm prior to his appearance on the child-rearing scene.

The flip side (probably what Rete is referring to) is this approach can be taken too far ...... leading to a lack of respect for authority. Also, certain children actually need boundaries and discipline ... whereas other children by their very nature do much better in a less rigid environment.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:25 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Holy f**ksticks Batman, that must have been one very powerful book to have such an effect! :scared:

I shall not go anywhere near it!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:27 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Oh ffs ..... he wasn't that bad.

It's like anything ..... if you don't use your own judgment and common sense (or if you don't have any) and rely completely on pop-psychology to raise your children - there are going to be problems.

Dr. Spock & his theories are still widely respected and used today. His approach was one of the first to encourage affection and respect over discipline and punishment. To actually treat the child like a human being rather than a disobedient pet. He advocated picking your baby up when he cried (prior to that doctors told mothers that it would "spoil" the child to do so). The idea was to treat the child as an individual and try to help them find out where they "fit in" rather than force them to conform to rigid societal requirements - which was the norm prior to his appearance on the child-rearing scene.

The flip side (probably what Rete is referring to) is this approach can be taken too far ...... leading to a lack of respect for authority. Also, certain children actually need boundaries and discipline ... whereas other children by their very nature do much better in a less rigid environment.
Ah I see, interesting.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

NOT the greatest book.

Rete, you need to read a book by Kay Hymowitz, a Senior Fellow at the Manhattan Institute, titled, 'How treating small children as adults is ruining their future and ours'. Excellent book.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
The trouble with pop psychology is *precisely* that they target those who want rules, rather than common sense or advice from family/friends -- the most rigid people, who want to have someone to point to as their guide. Sounds sort of like religion, I guess.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:10 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble with pop psychology is *precisely* that they target those who want rules, rather than common sense or advice from family/friends -- the most rigid people, who want to have someone to point to as their guide. Sounds sort of like religion, I guess.
Pop-psychology - much like religion - should be approached with discernment. Anybody that hands all of their power over to an adviser, whether religious or psychological, is doomed.

Dr. Spock, like any good priest, shared a lot of good ideas and healthy advise.

At the end of the day we have to take responsibility for our own lives as well as the upbringing of our children.