British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Another benefit for being a Dual Citizen. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/another-benefit-being-dual-citizen-385612/)

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 18th 2006 9:01 pm

Another benefit for being a Dual Citizen.

UK

Britain is sending two ships, including an aircraft carrier, to the Middle East and has warned citizens to have their travel papers in order for a quick departure.

US

The main U.S. evacuation plan involves a Pentagon-contracted cruise ship, the Orient Queen, due to arrive in Lebanon today to ferry people to Cyprus. The ship can carry about 750 passengers for the five-hour trip. Defense Department officials said other private ships were likely to be hired as well.

Americans have been told to wait for a telephone call that could come in hours — or days. They've also been told they can't board a ship unless they've signed a contract agreeing to repay the U.S. government for the price of their evacuation

TruBrit Jul 18th 2006 9:06 pm

Re: Another benefit for being a Dual Citizen.

Originally Posted by Boiler
UK

Britain is sending two ships, including an aircraft carrier, to the Middle East and has warned citizens to have their travel papers in order for a quick departure.

US

The main U.S. evacuation plan involves a Pentagon-contracted cruise ship, the Orient Queen, due to arrive in Lebanon today to ferry people to Cyprus. The ship can carry about 750 passengers for the five-hour trip. Defense Department officials said other private ships were likely to be hired as well.

Americans have been told to wait for a telephone call that could come in hours — or days. They've also been told they can't board a ship unless they've signed a contract agreeing to repay the U.S. government for the price of their evacuation

yeah i just heard that on the news....so much for this land of the free, thank god i was not born a usc :rolleyes:

Partystar Jul 18th 2006 9:08 pm

Surely this can't be true? :confused:

TruBrit Jul 18th 2006 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar

yep quite unbelievable but then look at katrina last year...such a rich country and all that :rolleyes:

peacelover Jul 18th 2006 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar

I think it is!

britvic Jul 18th 2006 9:12 pm

Just show's you the Brit's look after there own :)

Partystar Jul 18th 2006 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yep quite unbelievable but then look at katrina last year...such a rich country and all that :rolleyes:

I kinda expected that, I mean look at the health care system, the government don't give a shit if you get sick, do you think they really give a crap if there is a possibility that you might drown, starve to death etc etc, me no think so! Shame on the US government.

Partystar Jul 18th 2006 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by peacelover
I think it is!

Disgraceful.

Jerseygirl Jul 18th 2006 9:21 pm

Yes its true...its been talked about all day in TIO the Middle East Madness thread.

franc111s Jul 18th 2006 10:02 pm

I agree with charging.

SInce the Governments have had warnings on their sites for many years, i.e. travel at own risk, it makes sense to charge to bring them home. A small price to pay when the country you go to, by choice, at risk, then goes to war.

Who the heck do you think would pay for it otherwise, the ordinary tax payer that's who. Perhaps the tax payer who can't even afford a holiday.

I also like it now where 911 services CHARGE you for their service when you do something through some high risk venture, like racing cars!!!

Heck, my insurance company wouldn't even insure my house because I had a trampoline in the back yard!!!

This is the world we live in. Pay more, the more risks you take..... Seems prety fair to me.

gruffbrown Jul 18th 2006 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by franc111s
I agree with charging.

SInce the Governments have had warnings on their sites for many years, i.e. travel at own risk, it makes sense to charge to bring them home. A small price to pay when the country you go to, by choice, at risk, then goes to war.

Who the heck do you think would pay for it otherwise, the ordinary tax payer that's who. Perhaps the tax payer who can't even afford a holiday.

I also like it now where 911 services CHARGE you for their service when you do something through some high risk venture, like racing cars!!!

Heck, my insurance company wouldn't even insure my house because I had a trampoline in the back yard!!!

This is the world we live in. Pay more, the more risks you take..... Seems prety fair to me.

Sorry, don't agree with you Frank.
I think you'll find it's not to get them Home, it's to evacuate them to Cyprus. And they charge about the same as an Airline ticket.
And as many of them are there because of American interests in the Middle East it's a total piss take.

TouristTrap Jul 18th 2006 10:29 pm

What utter BOLLOCKS!

Thank God I'm not born one either!

Pony Jul 18th 2006 10:45 pm

Who can blame them?

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/u...Untitled-1.gif

Originally Posted by franc111s

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 19th 2006 3:40 am

Probably quite a few who are Lebanese and US Citizens.

I wonder how much they charge, extra for an external cabin, is it all inclusive, questions, questions.

Perhaps I should check Expedia.

cabritpop Jul 19th 2006 3:56 am

Could be worse, the French government has sent a fleet of icebreakers :D