Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are Americans really an different to us?

Are Americans really an different to us?

Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are Americans really an different to us?

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
In the workplace I much prefer men who wear a t-shirt (vests are those sleeveless little jackets that have button up the middle) under their dress shirts. Btw, they don't wear the sleeveless t-shirts (wife beaters) under dress shirts, it's typically the short sleeve version.
OK I think I've got this worked out

What is called a vest in the UK is called a wife-beater in the USA.

What is called a waist-coat in the UK is called a vest in the USA.

A t-shirt is a t-shirt in both countries. but in the USA men wear a t-shirt under their dress shirt & in the UK men wear a vest/wife-beater under their shirt (or they used to but it has gone out of fashion now, and generally people wear nothing under their shirt now).
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Do little kiddies still wear vests - an underwear garment (as added warmth) under their clothes?

I know the girls at school did back in the UK until it was time to start wearing a bra - then the vests went out the window.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:23 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
I believe some students turn thir underpants inside out for the same reason
My wife refuses to iron and press my underpants and socks, my mother always did this.

Then British mothers knew the need to look your best when wheeled into the emergency room on a stretcher.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
My wife refuses to iron and press my underpants and socks, my mother always did this.

Then British mothers knew the need to look your best when wheeled into the emergency room on a stretcher.
You lazy so & so, my DH not only irons his own, he does mine too.
Heaven help the wife of a retired man.. get busy, you!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:25 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
In the workplace I much prefer men who wear a t-shirt (vests are those sleeveless little jackets that have button up the middle) under their dress shirts. Btw, they don't wear the sleeveless t-shirts (wife beaters) under dress shirts, it's typically the short sleeve version.

I can't stand seeing men's chest hair poking out their shirts. Nobody wants to know how hairy (or not) your chest is, so leave it covered. And nobody wants to see your man nipples poking through the usually thin dress shirt. The t-shirt gives an extra layer to prevent those little embarrassments.

Would you like to know why you get all these negative responses? It's the tone that you write with. Perhaps it's a shortfall of the written word, as opposed to the spoken. To me, none of your sarcastic wit (if you possess any) comes across - most of your posts come across as autocratic, superior and condescending. You may not mean it like that (but maybe you do), so your posts beg for nasty remarks in return.
I see it's the nipples thing again !

Now that was an informative reply and I learned something factual

Ah well in that case I would much rather see that little white T shirt than a male 'sports bra' or scotch taped quarters

Many people in England find me reasonably amusing, but obviously nobody in the US - that constitutes a more valid reason to return to the UK rather than vest wearing and all the things that people get upset about on here

ok well you guys win eventually so well done. The war on people who tease about america and use British humour on a BE site has been won and the correct flag raised - if there are any things different about america and the UK, all the differences simply point out the superiority of the american way in everything from check pants to private medicine

My form I-407 is at hand so you can turn your guns on the next upstart
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:30 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You lazy so & so, my DH not only irons his own, he does mine too.
Heaven help the wife of a retired man.. get busy, you!
But your DH is a citizen I'm not, the agreement my wife signed with the US government to caterer to my every need is still valid.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:34 am

My form I-407 is at hand so you can turn your guns on the next upstart
Gad sir, no true Brit retreats in the face of the enemy.

Remember no peace treaty was signed after 1776 so they may still be viewed as enemy combatants.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:34 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Do little kiddies still wear vests - an underwear garment (as added warmth) under their clothes?

I know the girls at school did back in the UK until it was time to start wearing a bra - then the vests went out the window.
Was that a signal to the boys? I can see them now, waiting for the vests to come flying out of the window. When I was very little, very young boys, girls and some women wore "Liberty Bodices".

They were Liberty compared with the corsets that women previously wore.
Attached Thumbnails Are Americans really an different to us?-freda-cox.jpg  
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:35 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Gad sir, no true Brit retreats in the face of the enemy.

Remember no peace treaty was signed after 1776 so they may still be viewed as enemy combatants.
Yeah but can we fit em all in Gibraltar which is our Guantanamo
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But your DH is a citizen I'm not, the agreement my wife signed with the US government to caterer to my every need is still valid.
Well alright, as long as you keep up the Good Works.

Get her a nice new iron for your anniversary and see if that doesn't advance your cause.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well alright, as long as you keep up the Good Works.

Get her a nice new iron for your anniversary and see if that doesn't advance your cause.

What she is getting a new kitchen, it is being gutted as we speak.

They have already found a problem we didn't know existed, mold behind one of the old cabinets and wet wall board I guess from a leaking pipe so an iron might be beyond the budget.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:32 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

My Northern Irish friends call a sleeveless white undershirt a "wife-beater." In fact, my rock band friends dared their bass player to play a gig wearing only a wife-beater on top. Here in hot, open-minded Austin, no-one cared! They had a good giggle over that one.

I imagine that said shirt was on the tour bus, to be worn under another shirt, or as sleepwear, but not meant to be seen in public.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Back in England we used to call Stella Artois "wife beater".
I've also heard vests/wife beaters called an Italian Tuxedo over here.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:53 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Many people in England find me reasonably amusing, but obviously nobody in the US -
I dunno, I've laughed at many of your posts.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I dunno, I've laughed at many of your posts.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to another bloody yank again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.