British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Are Americans really an different to us? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/americans-really-different-us-602740/)

yodfrodo Apr 9th 2009 5:43 pm

Are Americans really an different to us?

In september i will be moving to US for 6 months to 1 year. I basically want to know what Americans are like. I hear alot of stereotypes but im not sure i believe them. Are there any clear differences which are obvious??

i will be very lonely if i cannot make friends. I am quite a shy person but when people are very like me i can usually come out my shell. i like making a joke out of everything, i like 'taking the piss' out of my friends, i sort of like spontaniaty (sp) and self-depricating people. i find people who take themselves seriously quite intimidating.

do you think i will be liked? Is there any anti-english people there? does being english make you kind of stand out??

christmasoompa Apr 9th 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Are Americans really an different to us?

Originally Posted by yodfrodo (Post 7466883)
In september i will be moving to US for 6 months to 1 year. I basically want to know what Americans are like. I hear alot of stereotypes but im not sure i believe them. Are there any clear differences which are obvious??

i will be very lonely if i cannot make friends. I am quite a shy person but when people are very like me i can usually come out my shell. i like making a joke out of everything, i like 'taking the piss' out of my friends, i sort of like spontaniaty (sp) and self-depricating people. i find people who take themselves seriously quite intimidating.

do you think i will be liked? Is there any anti-english people there? does being english make you kind of stand out??

Whereabouts in the US are you going to and on what visa?

:)

Elvira Apr 9th 2009 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7466891)
Whereabouts in the US are you going to and on what visa?

:)

And what is the purpose of his coming here............. for what sort of company will he be working...

Bluegrass Lass Apr 9th 2009 5:58 pm

Oh yeah, we Yanks have very long memories and dislike all things British! We all especially love to reinact the Boston tea party where we dumped all the precious tea overboard! :p

Just kidding ya, hon. If anything, a good majority of Americans will be fascinated by your accent and the fact that you are British. You will get any and all manner of idiotic questions (eg Do you celebrate Independence Day in England?), and you'll have to resist giving them some idiotic response.

What stereotypes have you heard/read? Let us know and we can let you know how true they are. I'll say that stereotypes are there for a reason, and you very well could meet people just like that. But for every person that fits a stereotype, there are plenty who don't. Whereabouts will you be staying and we can tell what types you may likely meet.

lansbury Apr 9th 2009 6:11 pm

Americans are just like any other people. They come in shapes, sizes, colors, and personalities. There will be some you like, some you don't and some who will become life long friends.

Just anticipate you may well end up having to explain your jokes and they quite often do not understand mickey taking and can think you are being serious. Like they will have to get to know you, you will have to get to know them and understand who you can joke with and who you cannot. One of my brother-in-laws has known me for 15 years and I can still say the most outrageous exagerations to him and he takes it all in.

Rete Apr 9th 2009 6:18 pm

One thing that the majority of Brits feel about Americans is that we don't know about taking the "piss". Ragging on someone's faults or even our own is not the norm here.

Octang Frye Apr 9th 2009 6:22 pm

I used to self-deprecate... but I wasn't very good at it.

Americans are generally like mogwai; happy, sweet and fun to be around. But if you take their mudkipz, or mock their beer, they turn into gremlins. Woe betide you then, sonny Jim.

What an American may look like in its natural habitat:
http://gremlins.files.wordpress.com/...gizmpillow.jpg

If you want to make friends, find a hobby and join a club. Be it softball, dancing, soaker - that's the best way to meet people.

yodfrodo Apr 9th 2009 6:25 pm

really?? so what do they find funny? because most of my humour is kind of like that!!

i will be going to Virginia

london52 Apr 9th 2009 6:27 pm

Americans love the Brits, I have never seen such generosity and real friendliness as I have when I have visited the USA, the women loooove an English accent and they seem to prefer us to their own men…is it just the accent though?

Elvira Apr 9th 2009 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by yodfrodo (Post 7467016)
really?? so what do they find funny? because most of my humour is kind of like that!!

i will be going to Virginia

which PART of VA...!!! :ohmy:

Rete Apr 9th 2009 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by london52 (Post 7467025)
Americans love the Brits, I have never seen such generosity and real friendliness as I have when I have visited the USA, the women loooove an English accent and they seem to prefer us to their own men…is it just the accent though?

He's generalizing :eek:

Most Yanks will think you are from Oz and won't understand a blooming thing you sods are yapping about.:zzz:

Rete Apr 9th 2009 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7467027)
which PART of VA...!!! :ohmy:

Let's hope it's not the religion portion ... Holy Rollers will frighten him away for sure.

yodfrodo Apr 9th 2009 6:34 pm

Unfortunatley i do not know! I wish I did. Geeez aus accents arent that similar to british! but i kinda think no one will think im british because i dont speak the queens english, im a northerner!
but it is an adventure, i havent even been on holiday to America and I am very excited

Leslie Apr 9th 2009 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by london52 (Post 7467025)

Oh Good Lord. American women, as a demographic group, do not prefer you to their own men. The American women that happen to fancy you are the only ones. So, unless you've slept with every woman in the country and they've all sworn never to touch American cock again, your theory is shit. There are buckets and loads that don't care about you or your accent - they're just not the ones that you will ever know. :rolleyes:

Rete Apr 9th 2009 6:37 pm

Wow are you in for an interesting adventure. Will you be working in the DC area? If so, then you will meet up with so many foreigners that you will think you are still on the European continent. Life in America is interesting and our way of working is different from yours. People generally are friendly if you learn how to smile and appear friendly and open.