Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Express Global Transfer = SUCCESS

American Express Global Transfer = SUCCESS

Old May 8th 2018, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Express Global Transfer = SUCCESS

Originally Posted by hp82
Hi. Is there a way of applying for a US card before moving? I’ve got my new apartment lined up but the leasing manager has already told me that I can’t have any mail directed there before I move. I’m keen to get the card before I leave the uk. I’ll be spending heavily as soon as I arrive (buying furniture etc) and don’t want to load a Uk card with a lot of foreign exchange fees.
Chances of getting a US credit card before moving are effectively 0.

Woithout a SSN they likely won't be prepared to lend to you, and even when you do for the beginning you'll probably only be able to get a secured card with a credit limit of $500 so heavy spending is out of the question.

Best thing to do is sort yourself out with a No fee UK card for when you first land.
Old May 8th 2018, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

hp82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will give the HF clarity card a go.

Yes, I currently have a uk platinum charge card.

Do I definitely need a us bank account to apply? I don’t recall seeing his when having a look at the online application.
Old May 8th 2018, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Triz is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget Revolut. https://www.revolut.com

It's basically a pre-pay card which you can top-up with USD/GBP for free, and then operate USD or GBP currency accounts at the same time. Also, there's zero international transaction fees. Comes with a decent app and they send you a mastercard debit/visa debit.
Old May 8th 2018, 11:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you deposit a large sum into a nearly opened US bank account when you arrive and then use your debit card to buy your major purchases. You can also try to get a secured credit card from the bank that you are opening your account at. Or simply use your UK credit card and/or debit card and eat the transaction fees.
Old May 9th 2018, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hp82
Yes, I currently have a uk platinum charge card.

Do I definitely need a us bank account to apply? I don’t recall seeing his when having a look at the online application.

US address (which doesn't have to be yours, just somewhere the card and statements can be sent initially), a US bank account, and a UK amex account in good standing. These are mandatory.
However, you do not need a SSN to use global transfer.
You should be offered a US plat right off the bat if you have a UK one - consider carefully as the US plat benefits are different to the UK ones. You can also keep your UK cards open if you wish, or downgrade them to a cheaper/free card. If you decide to close the UK one remember to transfer out any MR points first or you will lose them.
Old May 10th 2018, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Arathe is an unknown quantity at this point

Update from me on this. I applied over the phone (took about 35 mins). Information required was:

- UK Amex details (and this history was clearly the main thing they looked at to assess me)
- US income details (although no proof was requested)
- US address (and they did require evidence of this in the form of a bank statement or utility bill)

Things i *definitely did not need* :

- SSN - you need this to apply online but *not* over the phone - I made the mistake of waiting until I had mine to apply when I didn’t need to.
- Proof I had a US bank account (except to prove my address, if i’d had a utility statement that would have been fine. That said I don’t know how you’d make payments without a US bank account).

Once I had provided the statement I got an email in 48 hours saying i’d been approved. Overall, really smooth process.
Old May 21st 2018, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

LonSea is an unknown quantity at this point

Was a US home phone (landline) needed to apply?
Old May 21st 2018, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LonSea
Was a US home phone (landline) needed to apply?
Nope. I don’t have one.
I can’t remember what phone number they asked for but I would have given either my U.K. cell or US work no.
Old May 21st 2018, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Arathe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aquapanther

Nope. I don’t have one.
I can’t remember what phone number they asked for but I would have given either my U.K. cell or US work no.
Same here - also, US mobile numbers have areas codes like landlines so I doubt they could even tell if the number you gave them was a landline or not.

People not having landlines is very common here, I haven’t come across anything that preferred them over a mobile number.
Old May 21st 2018, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

LonSea is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks. It all went through, we hope to have the cards by the end of the week.