British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   American Express Global Transfer = SUCCESS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-express-global-transfer-%3D-success-908393/)

petepete99 Jan 24th 2018 8:08 pm

American Express Global Transfer = SUCCESS

Just thought I'd share an interesting update with you all.

I am a current UK British Airways American Express card holder. I moved to the US on 8th January.

Last Friday I followed the instructions here to apply for a new card in the US, so that I can fasttrack my credit score and build up some history. I was declined immediately, the reason being that "we can't find enough details through the credit bureau" despite me detailing the SSN, which I only received a few days prior.

I thought I had probably done this all a bit too soon. I waited a few days before calling the team. Today, I called them, was put through to the Global Transfer Team (after a few routing hiccups to a new account team and then somebody else), and was asked for the reference number of the declined application and a few other minor details.

Within literally 5 minutes, I was told I was approved and that my card would arrive in 2 business days. Within another 2 minutes, I received a confirmation email with details on how to activate my online account. I followed the instructions and when I get to my Amex online portal, the card shows up and I have been given a $5,000 dollar limit, right off the back. I am gobsmacked.

All this, and I still have a fairly sizeable current balance on my BA card which I'm paying off from over here in the US.

I'd advise anybody who has held an Amex card in the UK for at least 3 months to try this route.

TheKingOfHearts Jan 24th 2018 8:26 pm

Re: American Express Global Transfer = SUCCESS

I too used this route; having opened a UK Gold card 4 months prior to leaving with that intention. Was approved for a Premier Rewards Gold in the US with "no fixed credit limit" immediately and they fast tracked the card, too. It has for sure helped build up my credit score in a few short months, but even now, earning 6 figures, I still wouldn't have qualified without the UK card history. So a definite +1 there. I should also add that whilst it has no "fixed" limit, I'm sure there is one somewhere. All that being said, I've had over 8k on the card on a few occasions (paid off in full each month) and have since added my Mrs to the account (for free), with 0 hiccups or declines to date!

petepete99 Jan 24th 2018 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts (Post 12426812)
I too used this route; having opened a UK Gold card 4 months prior to leaving with that intention. Was approved for a Premier Rewards Gold in the US with "no fixed credit limit" immediately and they fast tracked the card, too. It has for sure helped build up my credit score in a few short months, but even now, earning 6 figures, I still wouldn't have qualified without the UK card history. So a definite +1 there. I should also add that whilst it has no "fixed" limit, I'm sure there is one somewhere. All that being said, I've had over 8k on the card on a few occasions (paid off in full each month) and have since added my Mrs to the account (for free), with 0 hiccups or declines to date!

That's awesome. I think the reason why there is no limit is because it's a Charge Card as opposed to a Credit Card. You're expected to clear the balance in full every month, whereas a credit card you could pay off over a couple (or many) months, which would of course cost you in interest.

That's my thought, at least

TheKingOfHearts Jan 25th 2018 2:27 am

Originally Posted by petepete99 (Post 12426822)
That's awesome. I think the reason why there is no limit is because it's a Charge Card as opposed to a Credit Card. You're expected to clear the balance in full every month, whereas a credit card you could pay off over a couple (or many) months, which would of course cost you in interest.

That's my thought, at least

Presumably; but ironically I doubt I'd have gotten $8k of credit, even for 30 days, as easily in the UK. But who knows.

fbf2006 Jan 25th 2018 5:01 pm

This worked for us as well when we moved to the London from NYC in 2014. We had a Delta Amex and once we got to London, my husband called and was able to get us a British Airways Amex right away. We were lucky as we didn't really know this could be done before our move.

FatFrank Jan 28th 2018 5:21 pm

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Jgray Jan 29th 2018 8:04 pm

Stupid question, but, I'm assuming you all had started employment in the US before applying for the Amex transfer?

TheKingOfHearts Jan 29th 2018 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jgray (Post 12430059)
Stupid question, but, I'm assuming you all had started employment in the US before applying for the Amex transfer?

Yes as it asks for your yearly income, I didn't want to apply and find out they needed evidence then have it declined. That being said; they never asked for said evidence ;)

Jgray Jan 29th 2018 11:20 pm

Same when I applied in the UK. I'd just started work, applied to Amex because of the cashback. Was my first credit card and they never asked for proof of income lol. Looks like my desire for cashback has actually been a blessing in disguise given I'll be able to transfer this card once I start working in the US though! Should help my credit score a bit, hopefully my soon to be wife and I can get a mortgage on a house sooner! Better than renting!! :)

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts (Post 12430158)
Yes as it asks for your yearly income, I didn't want to apply and find out they needed evidence then have it declined. That being said; they never asked for said evidence ;)

Arathe Feb 13th 2018 10:03 am

I'm about to take advantage of this for a move to NYC (I've had a UK Amex for a couple of years).

Is it best to contact them before or after I move?

Jgray Feb 13th 2018 11:26 am

As I understand it, after. Need your ssn and employment details etc first.

Originally Posted by Arathe (Post 12440975)
I'm about to take advantage of this for a move to NYC (I've had a UK Amex for a couple of years).

TheKingOfHearts Feb 13th 2018 1:05 pm

You do indeed need a SSN before you can apply, so after you move.

petitefrancaise Feb 13th 2018 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jgray (Post 12430164)
Same when I applied in the UK. I'd just started work, applied to Amex because of the cashback. Was my first credit card and they never asked for proof of income lol. Looks like my desire for cashback has actually been a blessing in disguise given I'll be able to transfer this card once I start working in the US though! Should help my credit score a bit, hopefully my soon to be wife and I can get a mortgage on a house sooner! Better than renting!! :)

Depends.
If you are eligible for an "international" mortgage then they look at your UK bank accounts/mortgage/credit card payments and build a US credit history from that. They start with the assumption of excellent credit in the UK and use your documents to justify it. The more US credit you have when you apply, the more they take that into account which can bring down the score.

If you want a mortgage quickly then look at the Wells Fargo international mortgage and I think Bank of America does it too. There is however, the question of whether it is wise to buy a house quickly though.

mrken30 Feb 13th 2018 4:43 pm

Many years ago, I got my US Amex card couple of weeks after moving to the US. I had my UK Amex card about 2 or 3 years before moving.My credit score was around 760 and had no problem getting a mortgage through a local broker. The mortgage was through a small local bank. I did have to provide wage slips and P60s from the past 2 years.

212 Feb 13th 2018 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Arathe (Post 12440975)

You do not need an SSN to use global transfer, but you do need both a US bank account and a US mailing address (it doesn't have to be yours, just somewhere it will reach you).
If you have those things, then do it before, as you can keep your UK amex cards active.