Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American culinary terms

American culinary terms

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:15 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: American culinary terms

The sprout man is pretty cute!
I actually like sprouts but my digestion (and hence anyone around me) does not
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:57 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
It sounds like the entire category of food measuring kit needs to be added!
Johnny Cash gave his daughter, Rosanne, a list of 100 essential songs she should know. Emjoy will hand on a list of 100 essential cooking utensils.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Johnny Cash gave his daughter, Rosanne, a list of 100 essential songs she should know. Emjoy will hand on a list of 100 essential cooking utensils.
One of which will be scales accurate to a 100000th 10th's of .00003 of a grams x velocity x volume and so on and so forth
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

hamlrt will become famous soon enoughhamlrt will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tonrob
Have you heard of Google or are you just trying to make conversation?
That want very nice was it !
Yes i have heard of Google and i do use Google . However when you are in a
kitchen and under quite a bit of pressure , dithering around wondering what Cilantro or some such thing ........Some ugly assed yank Chef wants to kick your ass .
So i am doing my best to learn about as many U.S culinary terms as i possibly can before i go , AND YES I AM ALSO MAKING CONVERSATION OK
So Mr Sprout if you cant be nice , just dont bother or i shall just take the P out of you and post up Welsh jokes Ok.
Merry Xmas and lots of love
John
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:28 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Of course the weight matters.

You can get close, by leveling a cup, if you use the same flour all the time but it really isn't a satisfactory method if you need to be precise, which serious baking calls for, I use grams and ounces, it saves adding 'a little more this or that' which is time consuming.

To get good consistent results you can't use cups for measuring dry ingredients. I don't care what anyone says.
What I don't get is people's subsequent reactions to this perfectly sensible post.

Originally Posted by meauxna
No sprouts!
I was going to post that the first time but figured it should be obvious.
Are you looking for trouble or something?

Originally Posted by Malashaan
The sprout man is pretty cute!
I actually like sprouts but my digestion (and hence anyone around me) does not
Sheesh - that's how people are supposed to enjoy them. And that's just your digestion's way of telling you it loves you.

Originally Posted by hamlrt
kitchen and under quite a bit of pressure , dithering around wondering what Cilantro or some such thing ........Some ugly assed yank Chef wants to kick your ass .
So i am doing my best to learn about as many U.S culinary terms as i possibly can before i go , AND YES I AM ALSO MAKING CONVERSATION OK
So Mr Sprout if you cant be nice , just dont bother or i shall just take the P out of you and post up Welsh jokes Ok.
John
Ok - you're new. You're forgiven because it's Christmas.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:14 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Originally Posted by traceym
One of which will be scales accurate to a 100000th 10th's of .00003 of a grams x velocity x volume and so on and so forth
Numpties.

Enjoy eating your dry cakes
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hamlrt
John
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:57 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Numpties.

Enjoy eating your dry cakes
Now you're cursing our cooking. You really take the cake.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:33 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

I feel this is an appropriate time to once again giggle at the number of people here who call buying a pre-made crust and pouring a can of pie mix into it "baking"
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:46 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Now you're cursing our cooking. You really take the cake.
No, YOU are really taking the biscuit.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I feel this is an appropriate time to once again giggle at the number of people here who call buying a pre-made crust and pouring a can of pie mix into it "baking"
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:41 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Don't be mad, you know I love it here
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be mad, you know I love it here
That's fine, but don't denigrate my "baking"!

I'm going to make cookies today, the FD is on stand-by.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:55 pm
Badger Badger Badger

I'm sure your baking is awesome.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:57 pm

I'm sure your baking is awesome.
Now you're just sucking up.. Unless 'awesome' is Brit for 'I can't believe that came out of a kitchen.'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.