Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Citizenship

American Citizenship

Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:35 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Citizenship

or:

We played the full game. You only showed up for overtime.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
Obtaining your US citizenship is a no brainer unless you believe that they somehow brain wash you at the swearing in.

You will have the services of two embassies when you travel and can get jobs that require citizenship.

Now what are you willing to do?
Not really a no brainer. If you become a US Citizen, you have to file your US and State tax returns for the rest of your life, even if (for instance) you return to the UK on retirement. If you live in the US with a green card or similar status, you can cross the IRS & state tax off your annual to-do list when you migrate abroad.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

If any American said that to me I would say "Thankyou but I wished you had joined us in 1939 and maybe my brother wouldn't have died in Naples in January 1944"
Along the same lines, what used to really annoy me was when Americans would say something like "we really whupped you guys' asses in 1776" or some similar crass & a-historical remark. When, in fact, I almost certainly had ancestors fighting on BOTH sides in the revolutionary war, and my US interlocutor was of (let's say) Italian or Armenian or East European extraction, so his ancestors had absolutely no connection with America in the eighteenth century...
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by robin1234
Along the same lines, what used to really annoy me was when Americans would say something like "we really whupped you guys' asses in 1776" or some similar crass & a-historical remark. When, in fact, I almost certainly had ancestors fighting on BOTH sides in the revolutionary war, and my US interlocutor was of (let's say) Italian or Armenian or East European extraction, so his ancestors had absolutely no connection with America in the eighteenth century...
Or you could say we won the war of 1812, when they tried to take over Canada.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Not really a no brainer. If you become a US Citizen, you have to file your US and State tax returns for the rest of your life, even if (for instance) you return to the UK on retirement. If you live in the US with a green card or similar status, you can cross the IRS & state tax off your annual to-do list when you migrate abroad.
I'm speaking of people that have cut ties to the UK. If you are a resident and work you have to pay taxes unless like my son ( Canadian/UK born) you work for the IMF. He pays no Federal or state income taxes.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Or you could say we won the war of 1812, when they tried to take over Canada.
My favourite war! Just look at my avatar, Sir Isaac Brock! Try telling Americans about Tecumseh, Laura Secord & the Battle of Cryslers Farm, and all you get is a puzzled look....

Last edited by robin1234; Jun 12th 2009 at 2:12 pm. Reason: doh, should have previewed before posting..
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Actually, they've probably heard of Tecumseh in relations to lawn-mower engines. One thing about Americans, they love their small engines...
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a no brainer. If you become a US Citizen, you have to file your US and State tax returns for the rest of your life, even if (for instance) you return to the UK on retirement.
Federal - yes. Not state.

If you live in the US with a green card or similar status, you can cross the IRS & state tax off your annual to-do list when you migrate abroad.
Assuming you're happy to give up your green card.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Federal - yes. Not state.
Some states still require it if they were the last state that you lived in before leaving the US...
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Some states still require it if they were the last state that you lived in before leaving the US...
Which states are these and how do they collect it, even from USCs? And unless they give relief for foreign tax (most states don't) it's true double taxation.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Which states are these and how do they collect it, even from USCs? And unless they give relief for foreign tax (most states don't) it's true double taxation.
I can't remember, but someone mentioned it for the state they were in, and I think NH is another for capital gains and dividends. How they collect I've no idea, they probably don't, but it's just a case of having to file for 3 odd years I think it was.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 11:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Bob
I can't remember, but someone mentioned it for the state they were in, and I think NH is another for capital gains and dividends. How they collect I've no idea, they probably don't, but it's just a case of having to file for 3 odd years I think it was.
In a situation like this one would need to look very closely at the actual state law (to see exactly what it says), not rely on second or third hand information.

For example, many states will tax non-residents on income derived in that state which is a different issue entirely.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by JAJ
In a situation like this one would need to look very closely at the actual state law (to see exactly what it says), not rely on second or third hand information.

For example, many states will tax non-residents on income derived in that state which is a different issue entirely.
In NH, I don't think it's a case of paying tax, just that you have to continue to file it for x years, 3 I thought it was. There's only property/capital gains and tax on dividends out there anyway.

I don't know the full details because I don't live in any of those states so I really don't care all that much. The main point being really to check the actual state requirements and not to rule out that there wouldn't be a state tax to file when you leave the US.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a dual citizen and it doesn't make much difference in my day to day life. I think I read somewhere (years ago) something about receiving pensions abroad if you are a citizen. That appealed to me as I plan to be in Europe full time at some point. I don't know if that's still the rule though.
I am planning on taking a leave of absence from work in 2010-2011 and going back to the UK (house is on the market now. I thought I would do that early because of the economy). It will mean that I won't have to worry about visas or being denied entry when I come back.
I say 'go for it'. As of right now, there really is no reason not too.