Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Citizenship

American Citizenship

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

JulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really nice
Default American Citizenship

I joined this forum yesterday and one of the moderators responded to a thread I posted on yesterday and she has got me thinking about perhaps seeking American Citizenship.

I have been in the US for 13 years. I came here through an inter-company transfer and have permanent residency. I never thought about becoming an American citizen and it has not crossed my mind. Now, I am considering it, but am asking myself if it's worth it. Considering I have no plans to move back to the UK, I've probably answered my own question there, but I am hoping to hear from others who have gone through the process and can inform me of the benefits - pros/cons?

I have a British passport and also Spanish citizenship, so this will be #3 for me. Aside from being able to breeze by immigration on a flight home, the ability to vote, being considered an 'American' (that part isn't really important to me) how has it made your lives easier?

Thanks everyone
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Citizenship

You'll have to pretend that it is important to you. If you pretend sincerely enough, it may actually become important to you.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

JulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really nice

Originally Posted by robin1234
You'll have to pretend that it is important to you. If you pretend sincerely enough, it may actually become important to you.
I'm a good actress.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesNYC
I'm a good actress.
OK you'll make a good citizen. To qualify you have to be a drama queen and have an overweening sense of entitlement.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
OK you'll make a good citizen. To qualify you have to be a drama queen and have an overweening sense of entitlement.
What I really want is the ability to yell 'BUT I AM AN AMERICAN!' to anyone abroad that gets in my way like they do in the movies
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a British passport and also Spanish citizenship, so this will be #3 for me.
I'm working on #4 at this point.

... how has it made your lives easier?
Other than the reasons you've already mentioned, I don't know that it has. In the past 5 years, I have gained an acute sense of superiority with respect to world affairs... and I now feel a sense of entitlement to all things, but other than that, nothing much has changed.

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

For us, I don't have to wonder if they will let me back in after visiting Europe for a while.
I was gone 11 mths one time and that was pushing my luck. I don't want restrictions on how long I can go for in case of family emergencies etc.
I can be a drama queen and have a sense of entitlement if they really want me too
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:21 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In the past 5 years, I have gained an acute sense of superiority with respect to world affairs... and I now feel a sense of entitlement to all things, but other than that, nothing much has changed.

Ian
I have learned that its OK to shout at my friends across the table in a bar or restaurant so that everyone in the place can hear how clever my conversation is.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

One thing, once you're a citizen you have to know how to salute the flag. The excuse "I'm just a foreigner (and/or a Democrat)" no longer applies.

Last edited by robin1234; Jun 3rd 2009 at 2:30 pm. Reason: corrected image url
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I joined this forum yesterday and one of the moderators responded to a thread I posted on yesterday and she has got me thinking about perhaps seeking American Citizenship.

I have been in the US for 13 years. I came here through an inter-company transfer and have permanent residency. I never thought about becoming an American citizen and it has not crossed my mind. Now, I am considering it, but am asking myself if it's worth it. Considering I have no plans to move back to the UK, I've probably answered my own question there, but I am hoping to hear from others who have gone through the process and can inform me of the benefits - pros/cons?

I have a British passport and also Spanish citizenship, so this will be #3 for me. Aside from being able to breeze by immigration on a flight home, the ability to vote, being considered an 'American' (that part isn't really important to me) how has it made your lives easier?

Thanks everyone
Spain doesn't recognize dual citizenships do they?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
Spain doesn't recognize dual citizenships do they?
Not sure if the rules have changed as I have not been there for many years. I remember as a kid my parents (who are both Spanish born) had to go through the process to make my sister and I citizens. This pertained to property they bought on our behalf - there were some rules around non-Spanish citizens buying property in Spain. Rules may have changed, I don't know - I haven't been back there and have no plans to visit anytime soon.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Annabella said a few months ago on this board that she will not become a US Citizen as it will automatically cancel her Spanish Citizenship.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Found this on the tinternet:

"new regulations regarding dual Spain and US citizenship went into effect in 2002. You should contact the Spanish embassy in Washington, DC."

So it maybe worth looking into what laws apply regarding your Spanish citizenship first and if gaining American citizenship would have any effect on it first. Hopefully they've changed in your favour
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ellimere
Found this on the tinternet:

"new regulations regarding dual Spain and US citizenship went into effect in 2002. You should contact the Spanish embassy in Washington, DC."

So it maybe worth looking into what laws apply regarding your Spanish citizenship first and if gaining American citizenship would have any effect on it first. Hopefully they've changed in your favour
Thanks for that I guess they have changed then! I'll look into that situation before I make any decisions - thanks again!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

And I hope you follow through, because I get a free toaster for the 10th successful applicant I recommend.

What I really want is the ability to yell 'BUT I AM AN AMERICAN!' to anyone abroad that gets in my way like they do in the movies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.