Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To All Florida Residents

To All Florida Residents

Old Jul 8th 2005, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To All Florida Residents

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Maybe we'll end up In Kansas Toto............
Nah, you don't want to go there it's tornado alley. I was reading a book by Bob Buck, a veteran pilot. He was employed by the US govt after WWII to research bad weather flying. He went all over the world looking for bad weather (I'm talking major thunderstorms, hurricance, snow, icing etc.) and he concludes by saying that after flying around the whole world in search of the worst storms, he ended up back in Kansas. He says that Kansas and the whole tornado alley has the worst, most violent storms he has ever seen anywhere in the world!

We had some pretty good storms here in Austin last night, with some rotating weather patterns being generated just to the east of where we live. Looking at some of the clouds, you could see the circular shape starting to form, but luckily the winds were not conducive to generate monster twisters.

- Tim
Old Jul 8th 2005, 12:53 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Good. Send me the pics.

Krizzy...odd to hear her called a newbie as shes an old timer on Rays site.

And why has that lady in your avatar got a garfield sticking out her bum?

Its nice to go back to being a virgin........
Old Jul 8th 2005, 1:50 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
He says that Kansas and the whole tornado alley has the worst, most violent storms he has ever seen anywhere in the world!
My huband flies up and down the east coast all the time. He hates this time of year and has had some v v scary flying time. :scared:
Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:13 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by emmals
not as genteel...it's bloody rough on here in comparison...
hope everything is ok your end Imhere......could do without last years scenario......lets hope the wind gets up and it goes the other way

Hiya em. Its looking pretty shite at the moment - especially for the poor buggers on the panhandle. Dennis is now a strong cat 4 and heading towards being a 5. They've already issued voluntary evacuations across the panhandle and mandatory evacuations in the keys and round everglades city. Currently we look like just getting the fringes of it but of course these things have a mind of their own and can go anywhere...look at charlie and jeanne last year. Also now they are saying the are looking at another "feature" developing off the coast of africa which can well become anothre hurricane in a week or so. bloody marverlous...im off to Alaska.

Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:37 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya em. Its looking pretty shite at the moment - especially for the poor buggers on the panhandle. Dennis is now a strong cat 4 and heading towards being a 5. They've already issued voluntary evacuations across the panhandle and mandatory evacuations in the keys and round everglades city. Currently we look like just getting the fringes of it but of course these things have a mind of their own and can go anywhere...look at charlie and jeanne last year. Also now they are saying the are looking at another "feature" developing off the coast of africa which can well become anothre hurricane in a week or so. bloody marverlous...im off to Alaska.

Its all part of living on the East coast....... our house in FL has the storms pass right over it time after time.......then our house in MA gets tons of rain dumped on it so our basement floods a few days later......such is life.......I've lived on the Shore in the UK and had the sea at my door a few times......its one of the joys of living by water....sometimes you end up living in it for a while.......
Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:38 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by krizzy
Its all part of living on the East coast....... our house in FL has the storms pass right over it time after time.......then our house in MA gets tons of rain dumped on it so our basement floods a few days later......such is life.......I've lived on the Shore in the UK and had the sea at my door a few times......its one of the joys of living by water....sometimes you end up living in it for a while.......

yep we lived in yorkshire on the banks of the Humber.....made one or two ingresses into our daily life.

Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:47 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

I have a very small little wooden house in MA thats lived through many a noreaster.....and larger storms....the only thing that knock it about abit was a twister....that took off part of the roof......twisters are my biggest worry in a storm inland......not the storm itself......we had a twister pass my home in FL last year...straight up the street.....only small at the time...but it went on to remove windows and roofs up the road.......
Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by krizzy
I have a very small little wooden house in MA thats lived through many a noreaster.....and larger storms....the only thing that knock it about abit was a twister....that took off part of the roof......twisters are my biggest worry in a storm inland......not the storm itself......we had a twister pass my home in FL last year...straight up the street.....only small at the time...but it went on to remove windows and roofs up the road.......
People don't realize we get tornados down here. Small they may be, but they invoke plenty of damage.

Holding thumbs it doesn't hit the bay area.

I left Africa due to the violence, and gosh darn it, if it hasn't followed me here
Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Nah, you don't want to go there it's tornado alley. I was reading a book by Bob Buck, a veteran pilot. He was employed by the US govt after WWII to research bad weather flying. He went all over the world looking for bad weather (I'm talking major thunderstorms, hurricance, snow, icing etc.) and he concludes by saying that after flying around the whole world in search of the worst storms, he ended up back in Kansas. He says that Kansas and the whole tornado alley has the worst, most violent storms he has ever seen anywhere in the world!

We had some pretty good storms here in Austin last night, with some rotating weather patterns being generated just to the east of where we live. Looking at some of the clouds, you could see the circular shape starting to form, but luckily the winds were not conducive to generate monster twisters.

- Tim

That's interesting.

This is my first year in tornado alley, and I realise already that it can be very scary. However, given the choice of living here in the alley or in Florida or any other hurricane area, I'd choose the alley.

Tornadoes are usually over quickly, they hit a much smaller area than hurricanes. Being hit by a tornado is more akin to being struck by lightening albeit the devastation covers a wider area.
My husband has lived his whole 60+ years in Kansas and Oklahoma and has never been involved in a tornado hit. The closest was this year, when one hit 7 miles away. Yet I'mHere has been in Florida only a short time and has seen hurricanes already. Many tornadoes hit land in open country and do no harm at all.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Follow the path ..projected and real ...
http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/florid...num=1120808155
Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:01 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Ray

Are you starting up a cult then Ray.....follow the path and all that......
Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:05 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by izibear
People don't realize we get tornados down here. Small they may be, but they invoke plenty of damage.

Holding thumbs it doesn't hit the bay area.

I left Africa due to the violence, and gosh darn it, if it hasn't followed me here
They happen anywhere....they have a few on the Coast down in Southern England sometime......bad enough to lose the side of the odd house.....
I read somewhere that England has more than its fair share of twisters...most small.....but there is a chance they could start to get bigger.......Southsea was hit by a big one in the early 1900 I think....but I can't find much info on it......
Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:30 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ray
yup as I said I pity the poor buggers on the keys and the panhandle, we look like just getting some fringe action down here, but its edging a cat 5 on its way to the gulf coast.

Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

yup as I said I pity the poor buggers on the keys and the panhandle, we look like just getting some fringe action down here, but its edging a cat 5 on its way to the gulf coast.
mwahahahah, my plan to use rows of office desk fans is working.

Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:46 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
mwahahahah, my plan to use rows of office desk fans is working.

Good job! Keep it going. Im blowing as hard as I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.