British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   To All Florida Residents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/all-florida-residents-312695/)

ImHere Jul 7th 2005 9:05 pm

To All Florida Residents

Seriously, just watched the weather channel and Dennis is now expected to be AT LEAST A CAT 4 when it strikes South Florida Fri night Sat morning. The Keys now have a MANDATORY EVACUATION. Its more likely to track up the Gulf Coast but will affect ALL FLORIDA unless it makes an unlikely turn west.

Cat 4 Winds sustained 131-155 mph (114-135 kt) 13-18 ft
More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failure on small residences. Major erosion of beach areas. Terrain may be flooded well inland.

Cat 5 Winds sustained 155 mph+ (135+ kt) 18 ft +
Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. Flooding causes major damage to lower floors of all structures near the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas may be required.

anotherlimey Jul 7th 2005 9:06 pm

Re: To All Florida Residents

Originally Posted by ImHere
Seriously, just watched the weather channel and Dennis is now expected to be AT LEAST A CAT 4 when it strikes South Florida Fir night Sat morning. More likely to track up the Gulf Coast but will affect ALL FLORIDA unless it makes an unlikely turn west.

Saturday afternoon, Saturday afternoon, Saturday afternoon.....

ImHere Jul 7th 2005 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Saturday afternoon, Saturday afternoon, Saturday afternoon.....

Turn West, Turn West, Turn West

clydegirl Jul 7th 2005 9:09 pm

Seriously, just watched the weather channel and Dennis is now expected to be AT LEAST A CAT 4 when it strikes South Florida Fri night Sat morning. The Keys now have a MANDATORY EVACUATION. Its more likely to track up the Gulf Coast but will affect ALL FLORIDA unless it makes an unlikely turn west.

Cat 4 Winds sustained 131-155 mph (114-135 kt) 13-18 ft
More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failure on small residences. Major erosion of beach areas. Terrain may be flooded well inland.

Cat 5 Winds sustained 155 mph+ (135+ kt) 18 ft +
Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. Flooding causes major damage to lower floors of all structures near the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas may be required.

So do you know yet if you have to evacuate?

ImHere Jul 7th 2005 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by clydegirl
So do you know yet if you have to evacuate?

Nope. If we get evacuation orders its will be tomorrow. but since Im about 8 miles inland its unlikely unless it becomes a 5 in which case Im outa here!

For comparison Hurricane Andrew in 1992 was JUST a cat 4. This is turning into one evil bastard storm.

Wintersong Jul 7th 2005 9:12 pm

Bad news piled on top of bad news :mad:

Will be thinking of you, and all the other Fl residents. Hope it turns out better than expected.

ImHere Jul 7th 2005 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Bad news piled on top of bad news :mad:

Will be thinking of you, and all the other Fl residents. Hope it turns out better than expected.

Cheers. And I've got a stinking cold...first one in 3 years. :mad:

Trouble is my wife is a nurse and since Im now working as a paramedic we are both expected to stay and work....not that any roads will be passable for a few days afterwards.

So, if you dont hear from us FL residents for a few days you'll know why....we just became Georgia residents :D

Dimsie Jul 7th 2005 10:00 pm

Cheers. And I've got a stinking cold...first one in 3 years. :mad:

Trouble is my wife is a nurse and since Im now working as a paramedic we are both expected to stay and work....not that any roads will be passable for a few days afterwards.

So, if you dont hear from us FL residents for a few days you'll know why....we just became Georgia residents :D

Fingers crossed for you and everyone in Florida that things turn out to be less severe than feared. You sound like a strong character :) and you and your wife do very admirable jobs. For what it's worth - I'll be thinkin' of y'all.

BritGuyTN Jul 7th 2005 10:20 pm

Hmmm

I really feel for you. Up until a year or so back it was my dream (like many brits i'm sure) to have a holiday home in FL.

After last hurricane season and knowing a load of people in Nashville with properties there I knocked that one on the head.

I think I will buy a lakehouse and boat instead

Best of luck with the storms

robskatie Jul 7th 2005 10:38 pm

Hope you all stay safe down there :(

sibsie Jul 7th 2005 10:40 pm

I've got a ton of friends in Pompano and Miami. As always they seem remarkably chilled about the season, even Dennis.

I hope all our FL expatters stay safe.

Jabba1 Jul 7th 2005 11:05 pm

I hope the weather settles down by the first week of August. I already have my Disney resort vacation package set in stone with the agency. I'll be spending the entire week there, I'd sure hate to have to contend with any hurricanes in my humble attempt to have a decent vacation. :scared:

ladyofthelake Jul 7th 2005 11:56 pm

Nope. If we get evacuation orders its will be tomorrow. but since Im about 8 miles inland its unlikely unless it becomes a 5 in which case Im outa here!

For comparison Hurricane Andrew in 1992 was JUST a cat 4. This is turning into one evil bastard storm.

I think people in the Keys and the Panhandle have the most reason to worry.

Bob Jul 8th 2005 12:00 am

sounds a beastie..well goodluck if it gets even scarier :p

krizzy Jul 8th 2005 12:38 am

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I think people in the Panhandle have more reason to worry.

I'm with you there lady......Fl is not the place to be if you don't like the odd bit of rain and wind.......

People could move up to the Cape in MA where I am and have it day in and day out for days on end.....have 300ft pine trees bending over backwards in your garden..... you soon learn to think that 50 mile an hour winds are just a light breeze....... :)