Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on obtaining a driver's license in North Carolina

Advice on obtaining a driver's license in North Carolina

Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on obtaining a driver's license in North Carolina

My OH got his in Charlotte from a UK licence - same process as Dogbyte, very straightforward. The driving test is nothing like the UK test.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

I just too my test in NC yesterday!
I only had a UK license so had to do the eye sight, sign, written (multiple choice) and driving test.
I read the driving test guide book for 20 mins and that was enough, passed first time. The actual driving test involved the tester getting in my car and asking me to drive for 10 mins, do a 3 point turn and reverse. That was it, very simple, not scary!
I now have a temporary paper license whilst waiting up to 20 days for actual license card.
My British husband has been waiting about 20 days for his card and they say it is taking longer because he is new and SSI is new??
The problem in NC is you cannot buy a car and put it in your name or buy the tag (plate) for it until you have the actual license card.
So luckily he has borrowed a Van for work until he can tag the van he bought for work. You have to have insurance to buy a vehicle but don't need the license to insure it.
I bought my car and luckily the people who sold it to me said they will keep it in their name until I can put in my name, I am insured on it.
We got insurance with GEICO as they were cheapest for us.
Good luck!
Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
Thank you very much for the welcome!! Did you need to do a driving test?

I ask because the Missus is already saying she will need to do most of the driving early on as practise for her test... if I can avoid her driving me around I'd love to!!
I didn't have to do a driving test, just the road sign thingy, but that was almost 15 years ago, so can't comment on what it's like now. However if you have to take the road test don't sweat it, it's easy. My son did it a couple of years ago, he was out for 10 mins, they made him drive up the main road for a bit, then turn around and come back again.

Also I second the experiences others have shared, if you can make an appointment, if not get to the DMV as early as you can, and even then be prepared to wait, you may be there a few hours. Try not to go during school holidays