Reload this Page >

Advice on obtaining a driver's license in North Carolina

Advice on obtaining a driver's license in North Carolina

Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

lblack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on obtaining a driver's license in North Carolina

Hi all,

I moved out to North Carolina a couple of months ago. I have adjusted to life in the U.S reasonably quickly, but I am struggling without a car. As much as we all complain about public transport in the UK, at least it is an option! So, I have decided to bite the bullet and sort out a NC driver's license. I know that because I have been in NC for over 60 days that I am required to obtain the NC license before I can buy a car. The first step is to take the written test, but does anyone from the NC area know if I will also be required to take the on the road driving test? I have a clean UK license, will that be sufficient proof of competence to obtain a license based only on the written part of the test? If I have to take the on the road test, is there a time limit with which I would need to pass after successfully completing the written test?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Laura
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on obtaining a driver's license in North Carolina

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/license/

You will need both the written and road test.

Download the manual and read it before you go. Do not ignore the bits about teenage drivers as they will appear on the test.

Road tests in most US states are easy, peasy.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And double check to see if you can do the test in a rental or not, some states don't allow it.

It's probably been answered for the state in a past thread already.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:37 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
And double check to see if you can do the test in a rental or not, some states don't allow it.

It's probably been answered for the state in a past thread already.
Better to take the test through a driving school, did mine back in FL took one lesson then sat my test in the learner car.

Or should I say drove round some cones in a car park, parked the car and passed
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

janicedean164 will become famous soon enoughjanicedean164 will become famous soon enough

Yep your right about the need to drive in NC, if it wasn't for my wife & father in law I would be kinda buggered. Have got right into my mountain biking though which is good.
Now remember you will always be asked what the percentage of accidents are caused by drunk driving(Or some variant of this) on your written test & I believe its 38% but double check this to be sure.
We moved here at xmas to Clayton, where in NC did you move to?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:28 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to say hello on this thread really... I have accepted a position in Charlotte (after lots of to-ing and fro-ing with other options in GA / CA) and will be moving out in late July / early August (subject to visa etc).
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:32 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

This is a bit confusing:

"Step 1, Apply for a Driver License
All new residents of North Carolina who plan to operate a motor vehicle in this state must obtain a driver license within 60 days of establishing a permanent residence. To apply, you must appear in person at one of the state’s driver license offices and take the required tests. New residents are encouraged to become familiar with North Carolina license requirements and traffic laws by reading the N.C. Driver’s Handbook. They must successfully complete the written, road sign recognition and vision tests to obtain a North Carolina driver license. "

That doesn't include a physical driving test requirement...
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

janicedean164 will become famous soon enoughjanicedean164 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lj2
This is a bit confusing:

"Step 1, Apply for a Driver License
All new residents of North Carolina who plan to operate a motor vehicle in this state must obtain a driver license within 60 days of establishing a permanent residence. To apply, you must appear in person at one of the state’s driver license offices and take the required tests. New residents are encouraged to become familiar with North Carolina license requirements and traffic laws by reading the N.C. Driver’s Handbook. They must successfully complete the written, road sign recognition and vision tests to obtain a North Carolina driver license. "

That doesn't include a physical driving test requirement...
I believe this is if you already hold a driving licence from another state or country. Trust me once you have lived here for lets say............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........maybe a day you will be left scratching your head thinking how the **** did most of these people pass their tests, lol!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:39 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by janicedean164
I believe this is if you already hold a driving licence from another state or country. Trust me once you have lived here for lets say............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........maybe a day you will be left scratching your head thinking how the **** did most of these people pass their tests, lol!
lol You are right, it is for when you come with a license from another country. I have an IL license and a UK license and I believe the OP has a UK license(?) - This therefore reads as though we would not have to do an actual driving test, just a written one... which is different to when I got my IL license.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:41 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lj2
Just wanted to say hello on this thread really... I have accepted a position in Charlotte (after lots of to-ing and fro-ing with other options in GA / CA) and will be moving out in late July / early August (subject to visa etc).

Just like to say welcome to Charlotte
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:58 pm
fsm
So I am where?

One thing I need to add that is fairly important, the lines to get the license can be dreadful.

Make an appointment, get the 8:00am slot.

When I did mine turned up at 7:45 line was out the door and then some, come 8:00am, ok who has an 8:00 appointment, me and two others were pulled out the line had my license 25 minutes later.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:01 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fsm
One thing I need to add that is fairly important, the lines to get the license can be dreadful.

Make an appointment, get the 8:00am slot.

When I did mine turned up at 7:45 line was out the door and then some, come 8:00am, ok who has an 8:00 appointment, me and two others were pulled out the line had my license 25 minutes later.
Thank you very much for the welcome!! Did you need to do a driving test?

I ask because the Missus is already saying she will need to do most of the driving early on as practise for her test... if I can avoid her driving me around I'd love to!!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:05 pm
fsm
So I am where?

Originally Posted by lj2
Thank you very much for the welcome!! Did you need to do a driving test?

I ask because the Missus is already saying she will need to do most of the driving early on as practise for her test... if I can avoid her driving me around I'd love to!!

No as I had a Florida license, so it was just the road signs and stuff like that.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:56 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fsm
No as I had a Florida license, so it was just the road signs and stuff like that.
Ahh useful. So that'll be all it is for me with my IL one.

Reading through the guidelines, however, it seems that my missus will also only need to do the roadsigns/written also unless the examiner deems it necessary for her to do a driving test (ie the same as would be required of me). Did anyone move from the UK with a UK license into NC who could confirm this?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP ....We took our tests within a week of arriving in the US. Albeit four years ago now, we just presented our form,together with car rental form and having studied the required NC written test for about 1 hour, we sat at the computer and answered the multi choice questions without probs. Eyesight test is looking at dots on bridges etc then road test. A quick trip around a few side roads,a three point turn and back to test centre. The examiner actually stated I had good roadcraft skills !! LOL, I didnt enlighten him. Photo taken and 40 minutes from start to finish new license which meant we could pick up our new car at the dealers which was waiting for us.( cant have a new car without the license.) Car rental was on our British license which wasnt a problem to NC DMV to take the test. Not difficult a proceedure all the way around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.