Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ADVICE FOR MMR JAB!

ADVICE FOR MMR JAB!

Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE FOR MMR JAB!

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
yeah, that's true. Though do you think it's likely to be high enough with only one dose of the single vaccines at age 3? (assuming the child is now over 5 and at school?)

I'm no expert at all, but I used to adminster the vaccines (MMR) as part of my job when all the scare stuff was at it's peak, we were constantly send updates from the DOH about the efficacy (or lack thereof) of some of the single doses. The measles single dose seemed to be effective in most cases, but there was a big question mark over either the mumps or rubella single dose (my memory doesn't go back that far )and as to whether it worked at all, plus they weren't licensed for use in the UK.
You are 100% correct. However, the child may well subsequently have been in contact with the virus.

MMR wasn't about in my day, nor were the same numbers of boosters. I didn't need it though, as my numbers were still high enough. Never knowing had mumps, but titre showed that I had been exposed to it
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
You are 100% correct. However, the child may well subsequently have been in contact with the virus.

MMR wasn't about in my day, nor were the same numbers of boosters. I didn't need it though, as my numbers were still high enough. Never knowing had mumps, but titre showed that I had been exposed to it
That's interesting. On a similar note we've had a lot of kids (including my two) in our small town who have had a high fever on and off for about 24-48hrs in the last couple of weeks. I was musing that it may well be swine flu as very few of the parents seem to have succumbed to the fever, I know that they've said that there may be immunity for those who have had flu before (though they were really talking about those who were around in the 1950's)
Some of the more panicky types have gone to get tamiflu when symptoms appeared, but as it only lasted a day or so if seemed like a bit of an overreaction to me.

What area of doctoring are you in, are you seeing many oinking people with curly tails?

Last edited by The Horticulturalist; Sep 13th 2009 at 8:00 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
but note you may have to pay a few hundred bucks for the test - so just be aware. I had to have the mmr last week for my green card application.
if you've got medical insurance, a lot of them will cover it for part of your doctors history....
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:02 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I paid £38 in the UK.
I had the titre test done and just paid my $15 copay.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
thank you everybody for your replies
so glad i decided to join this forum
If she is of school/kindergarten age, you will also need to check what else she needs immunisation wise and i think it can differ from state to state. We are moving over in 5 weeks time (quick move) and my son has to have a series of Hep b jabs. This isnt something that is provided in the UK as a standard so get them in early. Thankfully the school he is going to is happy to take him aslong as he has started the programme and can provide a schedule of when he will have the rest of the course (3 jabs in all) as you need to have at least 4 months between jab 2 and 3 (but again this could differe from state to state - we are moving to VA).

Couldnt say about the MMR - both my children had the single dose but i do believe its entirely up to the parent - however check with either the school or kindergarten etc that you would be looking at - most info is easily found on the school websites under the registration area.

Hope this helps
Best regards