British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   ADVICE FOR MMR JAB! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/advice-mmr-jab-630362/)

goldenstate31 Sep 12th 2009 9:31 am

ADVICE FOR MMR JAB!

Hi we are going to be moving next year to CA, but what with all the controversy over the combined MMR. I decided to go ahead and pay the extra money (and to be on the safe side:)) for my child to have single vaccines of MMR.
I went john and elizabeth hospital (i think i recall) some years ago now and my child received the singles and at the time they said as it was singles was highly unlikely that my child would need any more vaccines for measles, mumps rubella.
However the question is does states in U.S recognise single vaccines. (for my child to go to school in the us) and Im noticing people on this forum who are needing MMR for greencard:ohmy: . So I dont really want to be paying in the states for a shot of single MMR when she has already received it. Or for that matter myself? Its not the money Im concerned with its that I would rather not take any chances!
thank you for your help expats

Duncan Roberts Sep 12th 2009 1:10 pm

Re: ADVICE FOR MMR JAB!

You have the option here to get the single shots rather than the MMR so I can't think why they would not recognize it when it's done in another country.

Bob Sep 12th 2009 2:02 pm

There's nothing to worried about, it's all bumpf about the dangers.

Anyway, can always get a titre test so show what vaccines you are current with, and that should be covered by most medical insurance as info for the doctors, and that's also acceptable as vaccination history for the greencard.

The Horticulturalist Sep 12th 2009 2:12 pm

You know that all the MMR scare stories have been shown over and over to be a load of rubbish? I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

They shouldn't make you repeat the vaccines your child has already had, but if you opt for a titre test and it shows low immunity then you might have to repeat some of them.
If you've got a year before you come do make sure your children get the Hep B vaccine, that's required for all schools here. It's a course of three injections, I'm sure your practice nurse will do it.

did your children have booster vaccines before they went to school?

hillbillywillie Sep 12th 2009 2:33 pm

I had to be re vaccinated for my greencard as I couldn't provide a record of my previous jabs.
You'd better bring all your jab records with you.
And for the record Bob, vaccinations ARE dangerous-extremely so for many people.
Gardasil is killing and maiming thousands-and it's a false hope bs vaccination.
The proposed swine flu jab contains toxins that have killed and caused extreme health problems for hundreds of thousands when used in the Gulf War vaccines.
I'm PISSED that I had to be revaccinated.

Bob Sep 12th 2009 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by hillbillywillie (Post 7925769)
I had to be re vaccinated for my greencard as I couldn't provide a record of my previous jabs.
You'd better bring all your jab records with you.
And for the record Bob, vaccinations ARE dangerous-extremely so for many people.
Gardasil is killing and maiming thousands-and it's a false hope bs vaccination.
The proposed swine flu jab contains toxins that have killed and caused extreme health problems for hundreds of thousands when used in the Gulf War vaccines.
I'm PISSED that I had to be revaccinated.

We're talking the MMR, where the scare stories are a load of gonads.

If you knew you were okay for vacinations, you didn't need to be rejabed, just needed a titre test.

Ozzidoc Sep 12th 2009 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7925633)
You have the option here to get the single shots rather than the MMR so I can't think why they would not recognize it when it's done in another country.

Really? They are considered less safe in the UK, which is why they were never available on the NHS.

Get you kids to have a simple blood test, called a "titre" as mentioned by others.

Their blood will be tested in the lab to see if specific antibodies are present and if so if the antibody level is high enough to meet the USCIS Dr's standards.

Good luck with everything!

MsElui Sep 12th 2009 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 7926235)
Really? They are considered less safe in the UK, which is why they were never available on the NHS.

Get you kids to have a simple blood test, called a "titre" as mentioned by others.

Their blood will be tested in the lab to see if specific antibodies are present and if so if the antibody level is high enough to meet the USCIS Dr's standards.

Good luck with everything!

but note you may have to pay a few hundred bucks for the test - so just be aware. I had to have the mmr last week for my green card application.

Ozzidoc Sep 13th 2009 12:04 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 7926251)
but note you may have to pay a few hundred bucks for the test - so just be aware. I had to have the mmr last week for my green card application.

I paid £38 in the UK.

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 13th 2009 1:03 am

Also how old is your child. In most states an MMR is given at Iyr-18mths and then a booster at 4-5 yrs old.

If your child is older than 5 has she/he had a booster shot yet?

goldenstate31 Sep 13th 2009 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 7926744)
Also how old is your child. In most states an MMR is given at Iyr-18mths and then a booster at 4-5 yrs old.

If your child is older than 5 has she/he had a booster shot yet?

hi there no she didn't have a booster because I had the single vaccines quite late! I remember at the time that I wasnt going to get her immunised at all!:confused:
but decided against that one and just went for singles vaccines. She was around 3 half years when I had those done for her.

goldenstate31 Sep 13th 2009 9:10 am

thank you everybody for your replies :)
so glad i decided to join this forum :thumbup:

The Horticulturalist Sep 13th 2009 2:01 pm

Then you'll almost certainly have to get the MMR done before she's enrolled in school here,Though some states might give exemptions.
Definitely an MMR for a green card application, there's just no way round it I'm afraid.

I hope you're not still too worried, I know It's hard when it's your own child. The shaky evidence that was given 8 - 10 years ago that cast doubt on the safety of the MMR has been widely discredited by peer reviewed studies all over the world since, they have shown that the MMR is as safe as any other vaccine. Unfortunately there's no guarantees with any vaccine, medicine or course of treatment that there will be no adverse effects.

Don't forget about looking into getting the Hep B vaccine for your child to while you are still in the UK, and for yourselves if you're going the Greencard route.

Ozzidoc Sep 13th 2009 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 7927701)
Definitely an MMR for a green card application, there's just no way round it I'm afraid.

The titre can be a way around it. The levels may well be high enough to be acceptable to the USCIS doc :)

The Horticulturalist Sep 13th 2009 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 7927987)
The titre can be a way around it. The levels may well be high enough to be acceptable to the USCIS doc :)

yeah, that's true. Though do you think it's likely to be high enough with only one dose of the single vaccines at age 3? (assuming the child is now over 5 and at school?)

I'm no expert at all, but I used to adminster the vaccines (MMR) as part of my job when all the scare stuff was at it's peak, we were constantly send updates from the DOH about the efficacy (or lack thereof) of some of the single doses. The measles single dose seemed to be effective in most cases, but there was a big question mark over either the mumps or rubella single dose (my memory doesn't go back that far :o)and as to whether it worked at all, plus they weren't licensed for use in the UK.