Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Originally Posted by Leslie66
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
In fact, I might just get a couple of the more able to sign up to BE and seek you out. I could make it fit the scheme of work: under global communication or summat.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:02 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
In fact, I might just get a couple of the more able to sign up to BE and seek you out. I could make it fit the scheme of work: under global communication or summat.
Well, let's hope they don't take 10 minutes to get to their chair.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Well, let's hope they don't take 10 minutes to get to their chair.
And of course we are always desperate to recruit Additional Support Workers, should you ever be looking in this part of the world.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
From my experience in business the UK is seen as the country. Most companies we deal with use the ISO country codes and the United Kingdom is what is used there. I guess because of the confusion with Unknown the country code is GB.

Due to this I always put in United Kingdom (in full) on forms. My green card says that. However I am not sure what would have happened if I put UK down.
We put UK down on the forms needed for doing the electronic fingerprints done, Dh's came back and it had read as Ukraine as place of birth. Mine said England, it was a toss up depending on who was entering the information. Both of us were not from England or Ukraine, but both born in Wales.
There you go Thydney I don't wind up too easy.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:37 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
UK includes the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

kellydin is an unknown quantity at this point

i would have thought you needed an international licence??
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:33 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We put UK down on the forms needed for doing the electronic fingerprints done, Dh's came back and it had read as Ukraine as place of birth. Mine said England, it was a toss up depending on who was entering the information. Both of us were not from England or Ukraine, but both born in Wales.
There you go Thydney I don't wind up too easy.
Thats because you know your place and are willing to aspire to being English
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:36 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Yes, I know. But it's not the name of a single country was my point. I was being nasty.
Just a few more countries made of other parts Germany, Netherlands and Italy then there was the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia the list goes on
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:10 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
So you've been to London once? I'm impressed, you're obviously well travelled eh?
Why is that funny? Just because once was enough for me...and a few more times to the northern parts of that fine land known as Great Britain...doesn't mean anything. Frankly, the only reason I go there is to visit DH's family. We take all of our real vacations in the States now per HIS request. This country is so large with so many places to see, it's crazy not to explore them. Being well-traveled isn't the same as well-read or being educated. I know quite a few "thick" people that have been all over the world but couldn't manage to get through anything/understand more difficult than the The Daily Mail or a football program.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:26 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Thats because you know your place and are willing to aspire to being English
As any decent person should
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:42 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Why is that funny? Just because once was enough for me...and a few more times to the northern parts of that fine land known as Great Britain...doesn't mean anything. Frankly, the only reason I go there is to visit DH's family. We take all of our real vacations in the States now per HIS request. This country is so large with so many places to see, it's crazy not to explore them. Being well-traveled isn't the same as well-read or being educated. I know quite a few "thick" people that have been all over the world but couldn't manage to get through anything/understand more difficult than the The Daily Mail or a football program.

Are you suggesting that the average Daily Mail reader or football supporter is thick? Tch, tch, naughty naughty, I doubt they would agree with you, and honestly that could be construed to be an uneducated or naieve type of comment that someone might make if they didn't know much about either of those two particular things.
Anyway, in your previous message I thought you said you had disengaged from this?? In that case, I'm back to the topic.
My apologies to the OP for getting involved in the thread-jacking.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:49 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting that the average Daily Mail reader or football supporter is thick? Tch, tch, naughty naughty, I doubt they would agree with you, and honestly that could be construed to be an uneducated or naieve type of comment that someone might make if they didn't know much about either of those two particular things.
Anyway, in your previous message I thought you said you had disengaged from this?? In that case, I'm back to the topic.
My apologies to the OP for getting involved in the thread-jacking.
Do you have a comprehension problem? I said nothing of the sort. I said that I know many well-traveled people that cannot understand much more than the likes of The Daily Mail or a football program. Most newspapers are written at a 14-year-olds reading level (as would a football program) so that people of all ages and reading abilities can enjoy them.

But I can understand why you thought that, because some people automatically think the worst of someone/situation and are always trying to find the worst in everyone/every situation. It must be an exhausting job...that and maintaining your own perfection.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Dec 5th 2008 at 5:03 am.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:14 am
Queen of my house

I really think that everyone should check their keyboards....seems like some of them are stuck on the icon.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

... and to rip off the dumb american tourists, just like the street vendor burger sellers do in London. Uh huh I actually know americans that spent 5 pounds on a burger from a street vendor near Buck house when they could have gone to MC D's or BK and bought them for a pound.
I only ever hear complaints about French rudeness from americans, wonder why that is...
Broad statement? I wouldn't say so, I think it's probably exactly what the people that can rip them off think about them, don't you?
So you've been to London once? I'm impressed, you're obviously well travelled eh? Amazing that you didn't see many americans in London, because whenever I'm there the place is crawling with them. Walk around any tourist spots or up Oxford street and there they are.
I don't know anyone that's been here on vacation from the UK that's been ripped off by street sellers selling a one dollar burger for a five, but I'm sure it happens, maybe I just mix with the wrong people, you know... the more savvy ones?
Do you really have such a low opinion of Americans? If so, are you happy to be here, surrounded by them? Americans are trusting and gullible/naive at times, but I believe that adds to their charm and contributes, overall, to the much better attitude you encounter here.

When my brother comes over here, he is forever assuming he's being ripped off, forever assuming there is some ulterior motive for every action; it has taken a number of visits to just get him to relax and enjoy himself. The level of cynicism and negativity of Brits truly amazes me, and embarrasses me.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:19 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
And of course we are always desperate to recruit Additional Support Workers, should you ever be looking in this part of the world.
I'd love it. They'd be ten steps up the evolutionary ladder from the wanktards that I work with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.