Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:42 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Originally Posted by mickybrit
Forget the "foreigner" thing, I've lived in Australia and they are Kings at Pommie bashing so join the queue.

One things for sure if you was in a dilema and wanted help from "Johnny Foreigner" you wouldn't be so zenophobic then.
I don't want help from anyone, and why would think that I'm a zeonphobe? I love foreigners so much I married one!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:45 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not a law in all towns and cities of New York State. Only in those towns that have adopted that particular law. For instance it is not applicable in my town but is in my daughter's town 20 miles north of me.
You are so right. Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way in my town...the park district has even put STOP signs up on the walking/bike path for the walkers/bikers (and we have a law that says bikers must wear helmuts).
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:51 pm
Queen of my house

Yes and has a ballard in the center of the road clearly stating "State Law give way to passengers" so you are one of the drivers admitting you break the law deliberatly because you cant be bothered to stop for passengers. Yet come and preach to me.
Do you mean "pedestrians?" Giving way to passengers doesn't make sense. It sounds like you're describing a sign on a walk/bike path running parallel with the road where you usually do have to give pedestrians the right of way.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Dec 6th 2008 at 7:53 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
You are so right. Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way in my town...the park district has even put STOP signs up on the walking/bike path for the walkers/bikers (and we have a law that says bikers must wear helmuts).
The only place they have the "right of way" around here is in a parking lot or a crosswalk when the little "walking man" is lit green. Everywhere else they're fair game.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:56 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Leslie66
The only place they have the "right of way" around here is in a parking lot or a crosswalk when the little "walking man" is lit green. Everywhere else they're fair game.
Except I try to avoid the "larger" ones....don't want to dent my baby.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:59 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

The crash barriers are there because it has been seen fit that the particular area of road is/could be highly dangerous, yet the school bus drops school kids there.

I'm sure every body agrees it is far safer for the bus to come in the other direction and drop the school kids off on the houses side of the road.
They don't need to drive into oncoming traffic because oncoming traffic should stop. Again you obviously weren't paying attention because there is no way you can mistake the yellow lights for turn signals. Sorry but you're papping on blaming others for your own mistake.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

mickybrit will become famous soon enough

I don't want help from anyone, and why would think that I'm a zeonphobe? I love foreigners so much I married one!
Why mention or say the word "foreigner"? It has a xenophobic overture. Doesnt matter if you married someone from another country. Same as a white person may marry a black person doesn't make that person not racist toward other black people or vice versa.

You forgot to mention if you had ever broken the law by speeding?
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:05 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Helmets or hell mutts?
Attached Thumbnails Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.-21562.jpg  
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Why mention or say the word "foreigner"? It has a xenophobic overture. Doesnt matter if you married someone from another country. Same as a white person may marry a black person doesn't make that person not racist toward other black people or vice versa.

I thought you were the one who made a reference to "Johnny Foreigner", not Tamms?

Oh, and to clarify for everyone ... the word is "xenophobia" or "xenophobic", not zeonphobia, or the other versions previously posted. (MickyBrit - this isn't directed at you - just mentioned it at the bottom of my reply.)
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Helmets or hell mutts?
For me German soldiers came to mind ...
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

This is the sate law sign what most people ignore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...DE/yieldSM.jpg
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

I don't want help from anyone,
So if you wanted help from your husband you wouldn't want it.

If for a million reasons I could think of you wouldn't want help, pull the other one.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:19 pm
Queen of my house

I used the word 'foreigner' because that is what you are, a person from a foreign land, a resident that is not native to or a naturalized citizen of the US...and you make yourself stand out as one even more by the things you say about your situation. Last time I checked it wasn't a derrogatory term.

What does a speeding ticket have anything to do with this? And yes I've actually received 2 speeding tickets in my life, one 25 years ago when I was 18 and one 16 years ago when I was 27. But other than try to blame my passenger or the "system" or the police officer, I apologized for breaking the law and said I would pay more attention to the posted limits and my speed.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:23 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Thydney
Helmets or hell mutts?
Good one! Helmets in this case and hell mutt in my dog's case. He just gave me an early brown Xmas prezzie in the kitchen because I still can't understand Morkie when he's trying to tell me something. (Or he doesn't want to go out in the 29 F/18 F with wind chill weather)
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:25 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
For me German soldiers came to mind ...
Or Helmut Lang (I think that's the name of the photographer)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.