Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:34 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Yes, I know. But it's not the name of a single country was my point. I was being nasty.
I know you were
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:36 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Bet a lot of Welshies and Scotties (not to mention Northern Irish!) will disagree with this !

Where is Sarah Palin and her rapier geographical knowledge when you need it?!
They just have to face facts, the English kicked their arses and took over the gaff! They should be happy we let them keep their silly names.

Help I've been possesed by Rushman
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
They just have to face facts, the English kicked their arses and took over the gaff! They should be happy we let them keep their silly names.

Help I've been possesed by Rushman
Check your history book - it was the Scottish king (James VI) that took over the English throne to unite those two countries as James I. So if any arse was kicked it was the limey one.

The UK is a kingdom, as it says in the name, and is a unitary state (as opposed to a federal state.) That should clear things up, eh?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:14 am
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by notacrime
Check your history book - it was the Scottish king (James VI) that took over the English throne to unite those two countries as James I. So if any arse was kicked it was the limey one.

The UK is a kingdom, as it says in the name, and is a unitary state (as opposed to a federal state.) That should clear things up, eh?
Best not to mention the Jacobites then

Oh how I love to wind jocks and taffs up
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:31 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Heck, I had to walk 15 mintutes to the bustop when I was in middle school. it was the only one in the neighborhood, even though the school was only about 5miles away. I can feel your pain. I see it myself, and think how spoiled rotten the kids are. If there ain't nothing wrong with them, they need to learn to use their feet and legs, ya know! Evolution gave them to us for a reason.
My kids had to walk to a bus stop because the bus couldn't turn around in my small neighborhood of 3 no outlet streets. But when I was a kid the bus had to stop at each house because it was a main road.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:33 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

It may as well be, considering the other 'countries' like Wales and Northern Ireland don't elect their own Prez or Prime Minister. Until Wales, Scotland and NI secede from the UK and form their own gov'ts, the UK is a country hon.

You seem in a right bad mood today. Have a bad day in school?
I thought that it was a state consisting of four countries.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a country, that happened to be made up of 4 states (that just happened to previously be countries). I have no idea which is the more correct analogy.

But when I was a kid the bus had to stop at each house because it was a main road.
In elementary school, I had to walk a bit to the bus stop (maybe like a 3min walk) and it was on a main road. It could be diff now, I dont' know.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Dec 4th 2008 at 4:16 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:07 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Best not to mention the Jacobites then

Oh how I love to wind jocks and taffs up

Don't we all?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:16 pm
Not dead yet

I thought it was a country, that happened to be made up of 4 states (that just happened to previously be countries). I have no idea which is the more correct analogy.

In elementary school, I had to walk a bit to the bus stop (maybe like a 3min walk) and it was on a main road. It could be diff now, I dont' know.
UK is just an abbreviation for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Bring back GB is what I say
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

From my experience in business the UK is seen as the country. Most companies we deal with use the ISO country codes and the United Kingdom is what is used there. I guess because of the confusion with Unknown the country code is GB.

Due to this I always put in United Kingdom (in full) on forms. My green card says that. However I am not sure what would have happened if I put UK down.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:31 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Really! And what about the EU...that's a bunch crap too, isn't it. Why can't every country be the same over there, drive on the same side of the road, speak the same language (sure would be easier for me), have the same kind of cuisine. It would be great for us Yanks when we visit.
Well of course they could make it like that, it'd be easy to do, but there's a reason they don't.. because it discourages the riff raff, I mean, nobody in any of the European countries wants a yank to visit
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:33 pm
Banned

UK is just an abbreviation for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Bring back GB is what I say
Rule Brittania, lets take back the Empire!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:16 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Well of course they could make it like that, it'd be easy to do, but there's a reason they don't.. because it discourages the riff raff, I mean, nobody in any of the European countries wants a yank to visit
You're right, they like Asians better. But, they need our tourist dollars. Why do you think France had a big campaign to change their rude image that Americans have of them? And we usually only visit, not stay...after a few weeks or months most of us are more than ready to go home.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:19 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Rule Brittania, lets take back the Empire!
It's going to be tough with so many of the citizens residing in other countries.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:24 pm
Not dead yet

What I'd like to know is
A. Why not put the full United Kingdom on official forms.
B. What sort of knob thinks UK is an abbreviation of unknown fair enough N/K for not known but unknown is one word.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.