Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on CT

Advice on CT

Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:40 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on CT

Originally Posted by Nutek
Same here really.

It's near I84 and some sort of a power station now isnt it?
Not very close to 1-84. Hartford High School (huge) lies between the houses in their park-like compound & the highway, so you can't see or hear the motorway...at least not last summer when I was there with friends & family. Didn't notice any power station.

There is a railroad track, but that's not close by either. Actually I think it was the new RR link-up that originally attracted all the authors to buy houses in that area.

It's a fun area to walk around. Too mobbed with tourists in the summer though.

Oops, in my PP I meant to say the Harriet Beecher Stowe House NOT the Louisa May Alcott House. I think I heard that Alcott lived there too, but the Stowe House is the one that's preserved near the Twain House. (There's no Alcott House to visit.)

Last edited by WEBlue; Jan 4th 2013 at 3:41 pm. Reason: Remembered to correct error.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:11 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue

Not very close to 1-84. Hartford High School (huge) lies between the houses in their park-like compound & the highway, so you can't see or hear the motorway...at least not last summer when I was there with friends & family. Didn't notice any power station.
I was off by a few streets. I see that power-station thingy (next to the green roof) every morning on my way to work on 84

You would think something else interesting would have been built since Twains time.

Last edited by Nutek; Jan 4th 2013 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:26 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

You would think something else interesting would have been built since Twains time.
What about this?

It's been a few years since I've been but I always remember the beer to be good. Table service a bit patchy when busy as I recall though. Pool tables in the back which is a bonus.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:35 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
What about this?

It's been a few years since I've been but I always remember the beer to be good. Table service a bit patchy when busy as I recall though. Pool tables in the back which is a bonus.
I Don't know. I think I know where that is though.

Just need to motivate myself enough to drive past places to get to Hartford. Stopping somewhere on the way just always seems the more attractive option.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It is. So long as you know you aren't having to drive into it.
3 in the morning wasn't to bad, every other time I've been through, nightmare
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
3 in the morning wasn't to bad, every other time I've been through, nightmare
Coming down 91 == parking lot.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

After all that the Navy changed its mind again and decided to send us to DC for a couple of years first, which I am excited about. We will still most likely be headed to CT after that, though, so I will bookmark this thread for use when the time comes. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

P.s. Got my German DL sorted out no problem. 35 Euro, a passport photo and about 2 minutes of my time was all it took and I was able to organise it at the same time and place as my police record. Hopefully that will make things easier down the line. And if not at least I now have an EU licence that never expires. Mwhahahahaha.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:21 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you enjoy DC, Apfelkuchen -- and that you make it to CT eventually, it's a great place to live!