Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on CT

Advice on CT

Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice on CT

Hi all,

I'll be moving out to the US next summer/autumn to join my USC husband. For a while it was up the air where we were going to be but now it seems pretty certain it will be CT. My husband will be working in New London/Groton and I'm starting to research where we might live and where I should look for work. I would be grateful for any advice/thoughts on the surrounding area and on how widely I should cast my job search net (i.e. what is a reasonable commute? - I can of course look up distances on Google Maps but would benefit from some local knowledge on roads/traffic etc.).

Any other info at all about living there is also welcome .

Thanks in advance,
Apfelkuchen
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on CT

All I know is, it's not pronounced Connect-ee-cut. HTH
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Urgh, just found this: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=805&q=514952. What a pain in the backside.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Wow....you have to be a learner driver for 90 days!!???
Oh well....I suppose in that time you can use your 'foreign' licence??
My husband used to live in CT.....all he says is that it's colder than a witch's tit in winter!!!!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mamasue
Wow....you have to be a learner driver for 90 days!!???
Oh well....I suppose in that time you can use your 'foreign' licence??
My husband used to live in CT.....all he says is that it's colder than a witch's tit in winter!!!!
Yes, I seem to remember reading somewhere else that you can drive on a foreign license for a year (although I will have to double check that). I'm not sure how useful it will be for ID purposes though.

The cold shouldn't bother me too much as I've been living in Berlin for a couple of years. Plus it means I will get lots of use out of the extortionately priced pair of lovely furry winter boots I just bought.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm at the opposite end of CT so can't help with the area you are moving to. However it is a lovely state -- distinct seasons with cold winters, hot summers, and beautiful autumns, but spring is prone to come and go in the space of a week, though this year we had the best I can remember here! Good luck with your move.

Yes, you will have to get a CT drivers license -- the driving for a year on a foreign license business doesn't count if you have become a resident, and the license is a good form of ID so it makes sense to get it over with asap.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Yes, you will have to get a CT drivers license -- the driving for a year on a foreign license business doesn't count if you have become a resident, and the license is a good form of ID so it makes sense to get it over with asap.
It's not the getting the driving license that bothers me (I knew about that before), it's this new learner's permit thing and the prospect of having to drive accompanied for 90 days after getting there!!!

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Dec 12th 2012 at 2:15 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
It's not the getting the driving license that bothers me (I knew about that before), it's this new learner's permit thing and the prospect of having to drive accompanied for at 90 days after getting there!!!
You aren't a new driver -- did you read this section:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a...=|28069|#28073
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

This mostly refers to out-of-state licenses, though, not out-of-country. The only other countries it mentions (aside from U.S. territories) are Canada, France and Germany (at the very bottom). Since I'm living in Germany maybe I should just change my UK DL for a German one now (haven't done so before as I've had no need to drive here and could just drive on a UK license anyway) and then I can use the same procedure as new residents from out of state.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Dec 12th 2012 at 2:41 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad was in the Coast Guard band, and was working in New London. My mom was from Groton. About the time I was born, my dad retired from the CG but we continued living in CT until I was 9. We lived in Old Saybrook. I remember wonderful trips to the Dock N Dine at Saybrook Point, picnics in Devil's Hopyard, and a few trips to Gillette's Castle. I still have family living back there. After retiring from the CG, my dad worked 9 years at RR Donnelley, but after googling them just now, it seems they no longer have a location in CT.

Rene
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

This mostly refers to out-of-state licenses, though, not out-of-country.
I'm pretty sure it works the same way for out-of-country -- you are definitely not a new driver. You might want to look for posts by or pm Brat1 -- she moved to CT from the UK and got her license in recent years.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm pretty sure it works the same way for out-of-country -- you are definitely not a new driver. You might want to look for posts by or pm Brat1 -- she moved to CT from the UK and got her license in recent years.
OK, will do, thanks for the tip . The learner's permit only comes into effect on 1 Jan 2013, so things might have changed since she got hers, but maybe I will pick up some useful pointers nonetheless.

The document you linked to definitely distinguishes between out-of-state and out-of-country because it says that only 'A valid license from Canada, Germany or France can also be transferred to Connecticut using the same procedures for an out of state license', but it looks like it is a mere formality for me to get a German DL, so that can be my back-up plan.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:46 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

OK, will do, thanks for the tip . The learner's permit only comes into effect on 1 Jan 2013, so things might have changed since she got hers, but maybe I will pick up some useful pointers nonetheless.

The document you linked to definitely distinguishes between out-of-state and out-of-country because it says that only 'A valid license from Canada, Germany or France can also be transferred to Connecticut using the same procedures for an out of state license', but it looks like it is a mere formality for me to get a German DL, so that can be my back-up plan.
They refused an exchange on my UK license and made me re-test, but that was many years ago (1996-7) so things are probably different now.

NY was willing to exchange at that time, but not CT.

I live near Hartford btw.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:57 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in CT, but it's walking distance from my house!

(And I work in Enfield, CT - bit far from where OP is talking about, but happy to provide any advice if needed).
Old Dec 12th 2012, 3:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Nutek
They refused an exchange on my UK license and made me re-test, but that was many years ago (1996-7) so things are probably different now.
Yes, I think that Apfelkuchen will need a re-test rather than just an exchange, but will not have to do the learner's permit thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.