Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

240 volt socket

240 volt socket

Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:57 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 240 volt socket

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
The cookers probably on a 30 amp circuit, she'd certainly sew faster before she burst into flames
You are way too funny.......
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:58 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
No, I think that if it were to be possible I would bring some of my other stuff over with me.

I really can not see what the problem is, I am guessing that the 240 volt supply is fused. I would just be using a different type of connection.
Errrr..... what else were you thinking of bringing over?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:05 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

And don't forget that the 230V supply you're talking about is 60 Hz.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
And don't forget that the 230V supply you're talking about is 60 Hz.
mmmm yeah. The motor might have a bit of a problem with that.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

If your cooker is gas you won't be able to run a sewing machine from the energy source, bear that in mind. Unless its one of those new fangled Japanese ones.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Has any one fitted a UK 3 pin 240 volt electrical socket in their US home? I am thinking of tapping into the cookers or dryers power supply and fitting a UK type socket so that my wife can use her sewing machine. Anyone got any experience or suggestions?

Cheers

Tiny
Sorry to go against the general replies here...
But, if you are let's say "electrically minded" this will work fine.
I have 240V sockets in both my garage (drills, routers, etc.) and my kitchen (coffe makers, electric knives, mixers etc).
I'm sure your house insurance would take a dim view but, electrically - "technically" there's nowt wrong with doing this - the 60Hz/50Hz things makes not a jot of difference to 90% of things. The only thing to watch out for is that the 220V in the US has BOTH WIRES HOT. IN the UK, one side, neutral, is at ground potential.
So, don't go poking around inside a washing machine or the like since the design will have assumed that the neutral is at ground.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:58 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndySmithers
I have 240V sockets in both my garage (drills, routers, etc.) and my kitchen (coffe makers, electric knives, mixers etc).
I'm sure your house insurance would take a dim view but, electrically - "technically" there's nowt wrong with doing this - the 60Hz/50Hz things makes not a jot of difference to 90% of things. The only thing to watch out for is that the 220V in the US has BOTH WIRES HOT. IN the UK, one side, neutral, is at ground potential.
So, don't go poking around inside a washing machine or the like since the design will have assumed that the neutral is at ground.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:18 pm
Franklin

No, I think that if it were to be possible I would bring some of my other stuff over with me.

I really can not see what the problem is, I am guessing that the 240 volt supply is fused. I would just be using a different type of connection.
Troll?

Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:24 pm
Franklin

And if someone visiting an American house with UK fitted plugs is injured upon plugging in an electrical apparatus into a 30 amp circuit? If the house is sold and the sockets not put back to their original form? What then? Reckless homicide conviction? Involuntary manslaughter? If someone has changed sockets in their own home, they are certainly in violation of codes and common sense, and should someone be injured downstream, they will likely face the risk of a criminal conviction and may spend a lot of time in a lock-up. Some benefits, full board and free medical (no guarantee of quality though).

Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:29 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
If someone has changed sockets in their own home, they are certainly in violation of codes and common sense, and should someone be injured downstream, they will likely face the risk of a criminal conviction and may spend a lot of time in a lock-up. Some benefits, full board and free medical (no guarantee of quality though).
Duuude, it's a fine.... the jails are already overfull with drug addicts and white collar swindlers.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:33 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Duuude, it's a fine.... the jails are already overfull with drug addicts and white collar swindlers.

... and if someone dies, it will not be a small fine, it will be JAIL TIME. Come here kitty kitty ... JAIL TIME ... where is this line from? Know it is from some movie ... "come and get it" ... ahhh, in Highlander and Alien - mutated combo line.

Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:36 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Franklin
... and if someone dies, it will not be a small fine, it will be JAIL TIME. Come here kitty kitty ... JAIL TIME ... where is this line from? Know it is from some movie ... "come and get it" ... ahhh, in Highlander and Alien - mutated combo line.
Oooo look at the funny looking plug in the wall.... I think I'll try to force an American appliance in instead.... whilst standing in a foot of water that's leaked from the piping, bastard worked on the plumbing as well.... hmm not fitting.... I'll just jab a fork in instead and see if it's hot....
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Gruff! A picture of you and your brother?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by AndySmithers
The washing machine with the leaky pipe? No I promise I won't go poking around in there, not without my Faraday suit and rubber boots
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:50 pm
Franklin

The OP is funny though ...

Last edited by Franklin; Jul 28th 2005 at 11:14 pm. Reason: Inter alia, changed post!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.