British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   240 volt socket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/240-volt-socket-316675/)

Tinyburst Jul 28th 2005 8:36 pm

240 volt socket

Has any one fitted a UK 3 pin 240 volt electrical socket in their US home? I am thinking of tapping into the cookers or dryers power supply and fitting a UK type socket so that my wife can use her sewing machine. Anyone got any experience or suggestions?

Cheers

Tiny

anotherlimey Jul 28th 2005 8:41 pm

Re: 240 volt socket

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
Has any one fitted a UK 3 pin 240 volt electrical socket in their US home? I am thinking of tapping into the cookers or dryers power supply and fitting a UK type socket so that my wife can use her sewing machine. Anyone got any experience or suggestions?

Cheers

Tiny

I hope you have good home insurance! :p

gruffbrown Jul 28th 2005 8:42 pm

Cheers

Tiny

Sometimes I laugh and sometimes I weep.........not keen on the wife then?

Tinyburst Jul 28th 2005 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

She has her moments, but that is not the question. :)

fatbrit Jul 28th 2005 8:44 pm

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...et=Subcategory

anotherlimey Jul 28th 2005 8:45 pm

I was being half serious. I'm not sure your home insurance company would like it if you were to wire in a UK socket.

snowbunny Jul 28th 2005 8:45 pm

Good Lord.

I would use an electrician. And I've got a degree in electrical engineering. The sewing machine does have a motor of sorts.... is that why you can't just use a standard voltage converter/transformer?

snowbunny Jul 28th 2005 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I was being half serious. I'm not sure your home insurance company would like it if you were to wire in a UK socket.

Dodgy work on one's own? no, they wouldn't like. By a bonded certified pro? Probably be okay, after all we have them for washer/dryer/fridge.

gruffbrown Jul 28th 2005 8:48 pm

She has her moments, but that is not the question. :)

Why not use a travel adaptor?

krizzy Jul 28th 2005 8:50 pm

Why not use a travel adaptor?

Why not be safe and buy a new machine....... :confused:

gruffbrown Jul 28th 2005 8:50 pm

Cheers

Tiny

The cookers probably on a 30 amp circuit, she'd certainly sew faster before she burst into flames

Tinyburst Jul 28th 2005 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Good Lord.

I would use an electrician. And I've got a degree in electrical engineering. The sewing machine does have a motor of sorts.... is that why you can't just use a standard voltage converter/transformer?

No, I think that if it were to be possible I would bring some of my other stuff over with me.

I really can not see what the problem is, I am guessing that the 240 volt supply is fused. I would just be using a different type of connection.

AdobePinon Jul 28th 2005 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Good Lord.

No reasonable electrician is going to stick a UK socket on that circuit. Just a minor code violation, I'm sure.

anotherlimey Jul 28th 2005 8:54 pm

No, I think that if it were to be possible I would bring some of my other stuff over with me.

I really can not see what the problem is, I am guessing that the 240 volt supply is fused. I would just be using a different type of connection.

240V supply? Did I miss something?

gruffbrown Jul 28th 2005 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
240V supply? Did I miss something?

No, I don't think so.... :o

http://www.e-edit.co.uk/images/cry.gif