Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

240 volt socket

Wikiposts

240 volt socket

Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 240 volt socket

Originally Posted by snowbunny
V=IR?

Andy, c'mon.... lighten up a bit. I don't think it's wise to wire against code and without training, but hey, I also don't think it's likely to kill you or get you sued. There is a middle ground.
Yes I agree, it's not wise to wire against code or if you are not qualified.
But, wiring in a 240V UK socket is not, per se, against code. It's how you wire it that's the code.
The original OP simply wanted to know if it was technically OK to do this, which it is.
Practiaclly there's not many electricians in the US that's likely to wire up a 240V UK socket 'cos they wouldn't know what they were.
That leaves it up to homeowners who are qualified (like me and, I believe, you) but who do not actually operate as US electricians.

The suggestion in other posts was that it was impossible, stupid, illegal, likely to get you jail time or all of the above, none of which is true....

And, sorry if my reply was a tad "heavy" but I tend to only post here if either I have VERY strong opinion (which doesn't happen often) or if I actually know what I'm talking about. Since the subject matter was something that could conceivably get someone killed I was a bit miffed at the number of people posting who had no clue what they were talking about - that's all...
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:16 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
... and if someone dies, it will not be a small fine, it will be JAIL TIME. Come here kitty kitty ... JAIL TIME ... where is this line from? Know it is from some movie ... "come and get it" ... ahhh, in Highlander and Alien - mutated combo line.
Yet again Franklin, you regale us all with a post announcing that everything in this country will get you fined, sued and jail time if you're not executed or deported first.

I know you're a lawyer and all, but is it really necessary to respond to almost every problem/issue/question/slightly unusual situation/disagreement with the threat of a lawsuit and criminal trial?

Patent law sure must be dull to fuel these fantasies of suing people for millions and throwing their asses in jail because the wired up the wrong kind of plug!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:48 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndySmithers
That leaves it up to homeowners who are qualified (like me and, I believe, you) but who do not actually operate as US electricians.

The suggestion in other posts was that it was impossible, stupid, illegal, likely to get you jail time or all of the above, none of which is true....

I actually know what I'm talking about. Since the subject matter was something that could conceivably get someone killed I was a bit miffed at the number of people posting who had no clue what they were talking about - that's all...
oooh thats weird - people not knowing what they are talking about on here?

all i know is that 2 stereos, a tv, a playstation and an espresso machine are all doing fine after 2 years
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:03 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndySmithers

And, sorry if my reply was a tad "heavy" but I tend to only post here if either I have VERY strong opinion (which doesn't happen often) or if I actually know what I'm talking about. Since the subject matter was something that could conceivably get someone killed I was a bit miffed at the number of people posting who had no clue what they were talking about - that's all...
Just for the record I am a city and guilds qualified electrician (16th addition) I have worked as a electrician in both the U.K and U.S. Like you said yes it can be done, but really is it worth the hassle?

If Tiny gets the missus a new sewing machine, not only will he save himself the bother he might even get his leg over as a "thank you" from her in doors it could be a very positive purchase!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
If Tiny gets the missus a new sewing machine, not only will he save himself the bother he might even get his leg over as a "thank you" from her in doors it could be a very positive purchase!
Agreed 100%!
"leg over" beats "right and practical" any day in my book!
Hmmm...... perhaps I'm going at this all wrong!......
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yosser
Just for the record I am a city and guilds qualified electrician (16th addition) I have worked as a electrician in both the U.K and U.S. Like you said yes it can be done, but really is it worth the hassle?

We have 2 outlets, one for the dryer and one in the garage, I would suggest you look at the size of the plugs!

Some woodworking machinery comes so that you can set it up to run on either, no doubts other high current items do as well.

The high voltage allows give or take half the current, or for high demand machines twice what you would otherwiise get.

Historical accident why they went for a 110v, but too much equipment in place to change.

My guess is that you will see more and more equipment coming out that can run on either, like he lap top I am tying on.

Cheaper for the manufacturer not to have to make country specific equiipment, all you need is a different lead.