British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   2 large explosions at Boston Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/2-large-explosions-boston-marathon-794104/)

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 29th 2013 12:05 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 10682720)
we still have people pissed that they lost the civil war and acting accordingly while talking about the need for another to avenge that loss.

Pulaski Apr 29th 2013 12:06 am

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 10682720)
....... we still have people pissed that they lost the civil war and acting accordingly while talking about the need for another to avenge that loss.

He11, that was just yesterday when the English are still mad at the French for the Norman conquest nearly 1000 years ago! :rolleyes:

Pulaski Apr 29th 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10682719)
That area does have a penchant for Despots, I do remember the Shah being overthrown, out of the frying pan into the fire.

Part of the problem seems to be that there is a magic solution, history says otherwise.

Right, I'm not an expert on the Shah era history of Iran, but it wouldn't surprise me if the post-revolution era had seen more executions and torture than the Shah's regime was responsible for.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 29th 2013 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10682728)
He11, that was just yesterday when the English are still mad at the French for the Norman conquest nearly 1000 years ago! :rolleyes:

Well the Normans were not really French.

Certainly we have been more comfortable being allied against the French than with them. The latter is somewhat unnatural.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 29th 2013 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10682732)
Right, I'm not an expert on the Shah era history of Iran, but it wouldn't surprise me if the post-revolution era had seen more executions and torture than the Shah's regime was responsible for.

If they are in Gods name that seems to be more acceptable.

Which always struck me as odd.

Pulaski Apr 29th 2013 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10682739)
Well the Normans were not really French.

Certainly we have been more comfortable being allied against the French than with them. The latter is somewhat unnatural.

It wasn't just 1066, there was also Agincourt and Waterloo, as well as other battles with Napoleon, and skirmishes in numerous other places.

UkWinds5353 Apr 29th 2013 3:49 am

I learned today after reading a national newspaper that the Boston terrorist moved to America and lived off of tax payer sponsored welfare for several years.And the terrorist's mother had been arrested for shop lifting for, of all things, clothes valued at $1600. And it has been disclosed that a close friend had spent time living at their home and was told by the mother that she believed America bombed the Twin Towers on purpose to...get this..."make Muslims look bad". Obviously that entire family was a bunch of extremist simply sponging off the good nature of America. Another example of why we in America need to change our immigration policy and make it tougher for people to get in here.Not talking about the Brits.

SultanOfSwing Apr 29th 2013 4:00 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 10682905)
... lived off of tax payer sponsored welfare for several years.

Plenty of natural born Americans do this ...

shop lifting

... and this ...

she believed America bombed the Twin Towers on purpose

... and believe this, though

"make Muslims look bad".

is a new angle.

bunch of extremist simply sponging off the good nature of America.

A proportion of locals fit in to one or both of these categories.

Not talking about the Brits.

Oh, thank f*** for that, then.

Ichigo-chan Apr 29th 2013 4:56 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10682913)

... and this ...

... and believe this, though is a new angle.

Brilliant!

Pulaski Apr 29th 2013 11:45 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10682913)

... and this ...

... and believe this, though is a new angle.

So in other words, when we have plenty of home grown parasitic wingnuts, we don't need to import any more. :sneaky:

Ichigo-chan Apr 29th 2013 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10683316)
So in other words, when we have plenty of home grown parasitic wingnuts, we don't need to import any more. :sneaky:

Where do you live?
You seem a tad paranoid regarding Muslims- there are mosques being built all around London now.
I would be interest to know what British fart means by Brits being the exception- plenty of British born Muslims around.

Maybe only Jewish people should be allowed to immigrate to the US because apart from the Israelis they don't engage in terrorism - arms dealing, maybe

Pulaski Apr 29th 2013 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ichigo-chan (Post 10683342)
Where do you live?
You seem a tad paranoid regarding Muslims- there are mosques being built all around London now. .....

Gee, lighten up a bit! :rolleyes: You apparently haven't noticed that we tend not to take ourselves too seriously, ... it's part of being British!

FWIW. I lived and worked in London for 15 years, and grew up in a city with a mosque when that was still newsworthy in a provincial city. It was opened by the local MP, (which was a little odd because she was Jewish). While working in London I was involved with a muslim organization for a number of years that served a predominantly muslim client base. So I was in contact with muslims, including muslim clerics, on a daily basis, from around the UK and around the world. Many were Arabs or Pakistanis, others were from Iran, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia, Nigeria, or west Africa, a few were migrants living in east Africa, Zambia, South Africa, the Caribbean or the Americas, incl the US and Canada. I must have met several hundred of them face to face. I have also read several books over the years on Middle Eastern and central Asian culture and history. How many muslims have you met, and how familiar are you with muslim history and culture? :confused:

Of course it may be my understanding of muslim history and culture, where there is a centuries long tradition of preaching "death to the infidels", that still continues today in some regions and mosques, even in western Europe, that feeds my concerns, and which you refer to as "paranoia".

Ichigo-chan Apr 29th 2013 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10683496)
Gee, lighten up a bit! :rolleyes: You apparently haven't noticed that we tend not to take ourselves too seriously, ... it's part of being British!

FWIW. I lived and worked in London for 15 years, and grew up in a city with a mosque when that was still newsworthy in a provincial city. It was opened by the local MP, (which was a little odd because she was Jewish). While working in London I was involved with a muslim organization for a number of years that served a predominantly muslim client base. So I was in contact with muslims, including muslim clerics, on a daily basis, from around the UK and around the world. Many were Arabs or Pakistanis, others were from Iran, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia, Nigeria, or west Africa, others were migrants in east Africa, Zambia, South Africa, the Caribbean or the Americas, incl the US and Canada. I must have met several hundred of them face to face. I have also read several books over the years on Middle Eastern and central Asian culture and history. How many muslims have you met, and how familiar are you with muslim history and culture? :confused:

Maybe I am Muslim?
Young people often do things for romantic reasons- not just Muslims - don't use the I am being ironic excuse - your posts are racist which makes me wonder where you are living now?

Pulaski Apr 29th 2013 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ichigo-chan (Post 10683524)
..... your posts are racist .....

Excuse me! :frown:

SultanOfSwing Apr 29th 2013 2:17 pm

Point of order - Muslim isn't a race, it's a religion.

All religions are open for parody and mockery in my book :nod: