British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   2 large explosions at Boston Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/2-large-explosions-boston-marathon-794104/)

Jerseygirl Apr 15th 2013 7:16 pm

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

This story is still breaking...but so far there have been injuries. Hope none of our members or their families have been caught up in the explosions. :fingerscrossed:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/t/story...-line-18960342

materialcontroller Apr 15th 2013 7:38 pm

Re: 2 large explosions at Bostin Marathon

Nasty business indeed. Lets hope it doesn't get any more serious.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2013 7:39 pm

Believed three dead so far, people being taken to emergency rooms. Judging by the live pics the casualty figure is bound to rise :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22160978

Jerseygirl Apr 15th 2013 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10660787)
Believed three dead so far, people being taken to emergency rooms. Judging by the live pics the casualty figure is bound to rise :(

No info on any deaths here. Several seriously injured.

Bob Apr 15th 2013 7:41 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/explo...arathon-2013-4

I know a few folks who were out there, not quite at the finish line but in the vicinity as well as a lot of friends along the route through the towns.

Making it all very weird and surreal from such a happy event that had been such a great day :(

Bob Apr 15th 2013 7:42 pm

Some folks are saying a few deaths, locally and some of the pics on twitter are pretty grim, with that much body damage, there's bound to be deaths :(

Jerseygirl Apr 15th 2013 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10660791)
http://www.businessinsider.com/explo...arathon-2013-4

I know a few folks who were out there, not quite at the finish line but in the vicinity as well as a lot of friends along the route through the towns.

Making it all very weird and surreal from such a happy event that had been such a great day :(

Wow that link does state 3 deaths. I have CNN on and no deaths have been mentioned.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2013 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10660792)
Some folks are saying a few deaths, locally and some of the pics on twitter are pretty grim, with that much body damage, there's bound to be deaths :(

Those first twitter pics were awful, very graphic.

ian-mstm Apr 15th 2013 7:50 pm

The Boston Globe tweets: "Update: 2 powerful explosions detonated in quick succession leaving at least dozens of people wounded, some of them with dismemberment"

Horrid!

Ian

christmasoompa Apr 15th 2013 7:57 pm

Bloody awful. :(

Hubby is running the London marathon on Sunday, something like this happening at a supposedly 'fun' occasion is just horrendous.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2013 8:10 pm

Boston Police Dept - confirm (currently) 2 dead, 22 injured. (source BBC)

civilservant Apr 15th 2013 8:12 pm

Posted in the Trailer Park - please merge.

Thoughts to the families of those affected :(

Jerseygirl Apr 15th 2013 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10660837)
Posted in the Trailer Park - please merge.

Thoughts to the families of those affected :(

I've already closed the thread.

dakota44 Apr 15th 2013 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10660795)
Wow that link does state 3 deaths. I have CNN on and no deaths have been mentioned.

CNN with Wolfe Schnauzer-face is usually off the mark. Watching on BBC and Fox. There was also a report of a suspicious device at a hotel. Hopefully there is nothing to it and no more to come. Thankfully no secondary devices to take out the first responders. so far. OK, Fox just jumped the shark by interviewing that arsewipe Arpaio about this.

civilservant Apr 15th 2013 8:21 pm

BBC now carrying video of the first explosion.

Weeze Apr 15th 2013 8:21 pm

Boston globe reporters latest tweet:

@davabel: Fine. Reporting. I was 10 feet from explosion. Shaken up. But not a scratch. Worst thing I ever saw.

Also reports of a controlled explosion by the police.

Information for those in the area can be found on twitter at @massema:
@MassEMA: Runners East of Massachusetts Avenue directed to Boston Common.
Runners West of Massachusetts Avenue directed to Kenmore Square.

Speedwell Apr 15th 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 10660843)
CNN with Wolfe Schnauzer-face is usually off the mark. Watching on BBC and Fox. There was also a report of a suspicious device at a hotel. Hopefully there is nothing to it and no more to come. Thankfully no secondary devices to take out the first responders. so far. OK, Fox just jumped the shark by interviewing that arsewipe Arpaio about this.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

dakota44 Apr 15th 2013 8:27 pm

Apparently at least 2 more explosive devices have been found and are being dismantled. Looks as if it could have been a much worse situation.

yellowroom Apr 15th 2013 8:32 pm

How absolutely appalling. I hope the numbers of dead and injured don't rise any further.

I really hope that the finger pointing doesn't start until those investigating have some actual evidence. Let those in charge make the area safe, treat the injured and comfort the grieving.

Jerseygirl Apr 15th 2013 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10660873)
How absolutely appalling. I hope the numbers of dead and injured don't rise any further.

I really hope that the finger pointing doesn't start until those investigating have some actual evidence. Let those in charge make the area safe, treat the injured and comfort the grieving.

Jane Harmen on CNN has already mentioned Al Qaeda. :rolleyes:

civilservant Apr 15th 2013 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10660883)
Jane Harmen on CNN has already mentioned Al Qaeda. :rolleyes:

Bomb many marathons do they :blink:

Boston police confirm devices were in 2 different places, one further up the road from the hotel. 2 further devices made safe, 1 with controlled detonation.

Jan Alaska Apr 15th 2013 8:49 pm

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Within in minutes of the explosion Fox had mentioned terrorists , al qaeda and 9/11 .... the possibility of it being another Timothy McVey hasn't crossed their little minds.

dakota44 Apr 15th 2013 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10660885)
Bomb many marathons do they :blink:

Boston police confirm devices were in 2 different places, one further up the road from the hotel. 2 further devices made safe, 1 with controlled detonation.

They would likely bomb anywhere there are large crowds but they would likely have done a better job of it. Watching the one explosion, it was nowhere near the level of a typical Al Quaeda job, although they could have been inexperienced recruits. I suspect a home grown terrorist situation, without a great deal of experience in the field. Then again, who knows. I think that I heard it reported that they have one suspect in custody, under guard, in a local hospital. If so, should be more details emerging sometime soon. Apparently another explosion at the Kennedy library.

sir_eccles Apr 15th 2013 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska (Post 10660893)
Within in minutes of the explosion Fox had mentioned terrorists , al qaeda and 9/11 .... the possibility of it being another Timothy McVey hasn't crossed their little minds.

Some have already pointed out that today is Patriots Day which is fairly significant for militia groups and also was the same day McVeigh did his bombing.

yellowroom Apr 15th 2013 8:59 pm

To me it's reminiscent of the scummy IRA attacks on mainland Britain - complete havoc and mayhem, but the numbers of death and injury are thankfully relatively low compared to the numbers of people who actually there.

I realise that's no comfort whatsoever to those who are affected though.

dakota44 Apr 15th 2013 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10660906)
Some have already pointed out that today is Patriots Day which is fairly significant for militia groups and also was the same day McVeigh did his bombing.

Certainly would not rule them out as suspects.

Trixie_b Apr 15th 2013 9:07 pm

I'm horrified. I sadly stumbled across a very graphic picture on The Atlantic which made me lose my lunch. I should have heeded the warning it had on it.

My heart breaks for those concerned. Thank you to those who have stepped up to help the victims.

I'll be holding my loved ones close tonight

_Clueless$y$t€m_ Apr 15th 2013 9:10 pm

Third incident at JFK library. .considered taking my little one to finish line but decided against it this morning. Hope the death toll does rise any further..spineless,soulless bastards to attack the innocent!

kimilseung Apr 15th 2013 9:12 pm

New York Post? reliable or not?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...=SFnewyorkpost

My guess is a swarthy man was arrested for being injured by a bomb, we will see.

kimilseung Apr 15th 2013 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 10660922)
....The Atlantic ....

Just seen the image of the guy who lost his lower leg. poor bastard

Trixie_b Apr 15th 2013 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by KTBFFH12 (Post 10660925)
Third incident at JFK library. .considered taking my little one to finish line but decided against it this morning. Hope the death toll does rise any further..spineless,soulless bastards to attack the innocent!

Glad you're safe.

Trixie_b Apr 15th 2013 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10660937)
Just seen the image of the guy who lost his lower leg. poor bastard

Poor bastard indeed.

nethead Apr 15th 2013 9:19 pm

Heartbreaking :(

Jan Alaska Apr 15th 2013 9:30 pm

Quite a disparity between different news sources, anything between 2 and 12 dead.

dakota44 Apr 15th 2013 9:30 pm

The Kennedy library explosion is now being reported as related to a fire and not connected with the others.

Jerseygirl Apr 15th 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10660912)
To me it's reminiscent of the scummy IRA attacks on mainland Britain - complete havoc and mayhem, but the numbers of death and injury are thankfully relatively low compared to the numbers of people who actually there.

I realise that's no comfort whatsoever to those who are affected though.

Reminded me of the Warrington bombings. Bombs placed in 2 litter/trash bins the day before Mother's Day...when the IRA knew the shopping centers would be crowded...especially with children. :frown::thumbdown:

Bob Apr 15th 2013 9:34 pm

On a personal front, happy to hear that friends and family who live or went to the marathon are okay.

kimilseung Apr 15th 2013 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 10660968)
The Kennedy library explosion is now being reported as related to a fire and not connected with the others.

who by Dakota?

SarahG Apr 15th 2013 9:39 pm

The already tight London Marathon security is going to be even tighter now. I did London twice and the security especially towards the end was very obvious but people will clearly find a way. I am sure Boston security was just as good.

I can't even begin to fathom why runners would be targeted. I've seen some of the pics from Boston and I just can't put into words. :(

Manc Apr 15th 2013 9:40 pm

wonder if the Irish Car Bomb will still be cocktail of choice after this?