Working in USA as Electrician

Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice
Default Working in USA as Electrician

Hi

I'm married to an American citizen and am a qualified electrician in the UK. I would be what the US call a master electrician. I wonder how difficult it would be to come to the USA with my wife and get a job using my trade, is there work for electricians so anybody have any advice?

Cheers
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in USA as Electrician

Originally Posted by colin2496
Hi

I'm married to an American citizen and am a qualified electrician in the UK. I would be what the US call a master electrician. I wonder how difficult it would be to come to the USA with my wife and get a job using my trade, is there work for electricians so anybody have any advice?

Cheers
Hi Colin

Is your question how to go about immigrating to the USA? Or is it more about whether your trade is in demand here? If it's regarding your trade, we might want to move your post to another section, as this specifically deals with how to immigrate to the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Colin

Is your question how to go about immigrating to the USA? Or is it more about whether your trade is in demand here? If it's regarding your trade, we might want to move your post to another section, as this specifically deals with how to immigrate to the USA.

Rene
well both i guess maybe i should pu in two sections or can you move it?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

well both i guess maybe i should pu in two sections or can you move it?
I'll leave it here for now, another mod might move it. If you have any questions on how to do the immigration, just start a new thread for those.

To answer your question, I don't see why there wouldn't be work here for electricians.

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers
As you're married to a US citizen, it will be pretty easy for you to immigrate to the US.
As for working as an electrician here, the qualifications are different, but won't be difficult for you to learn. Electricians are licensed by the State they work in, so you'll need to look up your own particulars.

You can also search on the forums here for 'electrician' 'sparky' etc and limit your search to the US forums; you will find plenty has been posted about the small changes you'll need to make.

My new electrician is from Hungary & the upshot of discussion between he & DH about European wiring & practice vs the US was that things are much simpler here. And only 110v.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
My new electrician is from Hungary & the upshot of discussion between he & DH about European wiring & practice vs the US was that things are much simpler here. And only 110v.
Hi:

California is part of the US and my house has three 220v circuits -- for each AC unit and for the oven. In places without natural gas, there might be another one for the laundry area's dryer.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

California is part of the US and my house has three 220v circuits -- for each AC unit and for the oven. In places without natural gas, there might be another one for the laundry area's dryer.
Additionally, my dryer is 220v.
Many UKCs are surprised to find that the majority of the household wiring here is 110v.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:35 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. It varies by state. My friends husband was an electrician in Ireland before he moved to NY. He had to get liscenced in NY because each state and country has different laws. Also quite a few of the electrician jobs are Union jobs which pay quite well. I would look into the laws for the stateyou are planning to move to. Good Luck.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Hi

Cheers
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, on both counts!!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Floridared
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, on both counts!!
You certainly won't be able to work legallly as an electrician in
Florida very easily... very closed shop ..