British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Working in USA as Electrician (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/working-usa-electrician-564145/)

colin2496 Sep 28th 2008 4:25 pm

Working in USA as Electrician

Hi

I'm married to an American citizen and am a qualified electrician in the UK. I would be what the US call a master electrician. I wonder how difficult it would be to come to the USA with my wife and get a job using my trade, is there work for electricians so anybody have any advice?

Cheers

Noorah101 Sep 28th 2008 4:32 pm

Re: Working in USA as Electrician

Originally Posted by colin2496 (Post 6827555)
Hi

I'm married to an American citizen and am a qualified electrician in the UK. I would be what the US call a master electrician. I wonder how difficult it would be to come to the USA with my wife and get a job using my trade, is there work for electricians so anybody have any advice?

Cheers

Hi Colin

Is your question how to go about immigrating to the USA? Or is it more about whether your trade is in demand here? If it's regarding your trade, we might want to move your post to another section, as this specifically deals with how to immigrate to the USA.

Rene

colin2496 Sep 28th 2008 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6827578)
Hi Colin

Is your question how to go about immigrating to the USA? Or is it more about whether your trade is in demand here? If it's regarding your trade, we might want to move your post to another section, as this specifically deals with how to immigrate to the USA.

Rene

well both i guess maybe i should pu in two sections or can you move it?

Noorah101 Sep 28th 2008 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by colin2496 (Post 6827587)
well both i guess maybe i should pu in two sections or can you move it?

I'll leave it here for now, another mod might move it. If you have any questions on how to do the immigration, just start a new thread for those. :)

To answer your question, I don't see why there wouldn't be work here for electricians.

Rene

meauxna Sep 28th 2008 4:40 pm

Hi

Cheers

As you're married to a US citizen, it will be pretty easy for you to immigrate to the US.
As for working as an electrician here, the qualifications are different, but won't be difficult for you to learn. Electricians are licensed by the State they work in, so you'll need to look up your own particulars.

You can also search on the forums here for 'electrician' 'sparky' etc and limit your search to the US forums; you will find plenty has been posted about the small changes you'll need to make.

My new electrician is from Hungary & the upshot of discussion between he & DH about European wiring & practice vs the US was that things are much simpler here. And only 110v. :)

Folinskyinla Sep 28th 2008 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6827603)
My new electrician is from Hungary & the upshot of discussion between he & DH about European wiring & practice vs the US was that things are much simpler here. And only 110v. :)

Hi:

California is part of the US and my house has three 220v circuits -- for each AC unit and for the oven. In places without natural gas, there might be another one for the laundry area's dryer.

meauxna Sep 28th 2008 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6827847)
Hi:

California is part of the US and my house has three 220v circuits -- for each AC unit and for the oven. In places without natural gas, there might be another one for the laundry area's dryer.

Additionally, my dryer is 220v.
Many UKCs are surprised to find that the majority of the household wiring here is 110v.

penguinbar Sep 28th 2008 7:35 pm

Hi. It varies by state. My friends husband was an electrician in Ireland before he moved to NY. He had to get liscenced in NY because each state and country has different laws. Also quite a few of the electrician jobs are Union jobs which pay quite well. I would look into the laws for the stateyou are planning to move to. Good Luck.:)

Floridared Sep 29th 2008 2:28 am

Hi

Cheers

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, on both counts!! :D

Ray Sep 29th 2008 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 6828694)
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, on both counts!! :D

You certainly won't be able to work legallly as an electrician in
Florida very easily... very closed shop ..