Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Does geographic location affect decision on L1/E2 approval ?

Does geographic location affect decision on L1/E2 approval ?

Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice
Default Does geographic location affect decision on L1/E2 approval ?

If someone was to attempt to obtain E2 or L1 status, are you more or less likely to succeed with your application if you were heading to ( for example ) Edmund, Oklahoma as opposed to Los Angeles, California ?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does geographic location affect decision on L1/E2 approval ?

Originally Posted by powerwrap
If someone was to attempt to obtain E2 or L1 status, are you more or less likely to succeed with your application if you were heading to ( for example ) Edmund, Oklahoma as opposed to Los Angeles, California ?
No, location makes no difference that I know of. You just have to prove you are qualified for the visa. It doesn't matter where the job is in the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2008, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

Regarding an E2, do you think that if you were setting up a new company in a high unemployment area, would that be enough to 'swing it' if your business plan/investment was borderline ?

Just wondering.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding an E2, do you think that if you were setting up a new company in a high unemployment area, would that be enough to 'swing it' if your business plan/investment was borderline ?

Just wondering.
Hi:

Read the FAM and regulations on E-2. Apply it to all of your facts.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Folinskyinla, i'm going to sound like an idiot but what's the FAM ?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Folinskyinla, i'm going to sound like an idiot but what's the FAM ?
Hi:

Foreign Affairs Manual. It is available on-line. Volume 9 of the FAM deals with visas. If memory serves me correct, you want to look at the provisions, notes and procedural notes under 41.51.

This is what the Consular Offices look at.

You are talking about a lot of money now. Professional help is a good thing. J Fong in my suite will lower his fee if the investor has professional business and financial advisors simply because it makes his job easier.

If you insist on DIY, which is your right, you might as well RTFM. I have just given you the means to do just that.

For the other lurkers here, I am not, repeat NOT, giving any advise whatsoever on the advisability of obtaining an E-visa. As Mr. Fong has noted elsewhere on this forum, there seems to be a strong prejudice against "E" visas as being a "piece of shit." Like any non-immigrant visa, there are limitations inherent in the status. The desirability is dependent upon your desires and facts.

Good luck.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Folinskyinla, thank you again, i will sift through that.

BTW, i've got a good friend who is operates just down the road from you in North La Cienega, a real happening part of the world !
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, the OP was originally interest in E2 Status, not an E2 Visa. That would worryy me.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
Hmm, the OP was originally interest in E2 Status, not an E2 Visa. That would worryy me.
Hi:

He is not my client. Also, I refer my potential E-2's to J Fong. So, I am not worried at all. If one wants to DIY, then they should RTFM. Given the amounts of money usually involved in DIY, I am somewhat surprised that people are interested solely in DIY and don't want to spend anything on true professional help.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Make no mistake, if i was to go with i would use professional help.

I know what i know, but i don't know enough to have a go myself.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

He is not my client. Also, I refer my potential E-2's to J Fong. So, I am not worried at all. If one wants to DIY, then they should RTFM. Given the amounts of money usually involved in DIY, I am somewhat surprised that people are interested solely in DIY and don't want to spend anything on true professional help.
It occurred to me this morning that most people won't even buy a house without a professional's help but they'd start a business in a foreign country without assistance? That does seem weird to me.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
It occurred to me this morning that most people won't even buy a house without a professional's help but they'd start a business in a foreign country without assistance? That does seem weird to me.
My first comment above was actually in response to the original post. I should have quoted it.

In regards to Meauxana's, sometimes it does seem that in these cases the Business is secondary.