Welcome New Permanent Resident

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome New Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
No, got my original SS Card. Do I have to update it?
Yes, if it has the legend on it, as Elvira notes.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:21 am
Your Fellow American

Scotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to all

Just remember. You are a permanent resident now.. no more uncertainty and no more cap in hand. Just to enlarge on Ian's post...

You need to go, take a number and sit in the local social security office unfortunately ... best to go either ridiculously early or about two hours before they close.(They tend to speed up in the last hour and a half before closing) You will need your green card and another ID plus your passport and any other darned thing that they are likely to dream up to make you go back home for. (Initially just show them the green card and volunteer nothing else unless they ask for it)

They will enter your data to verify your new status and it will earn you a nice new SS card with no restrictions on it in about ten days through the mail.

Next thing is jobs... American citizens/LPR's need only produce an unrestricted SS card and an ID for personnel for their I-9... So should you unless they specifically ask for anything else but there is really no reason why they should... So don't volunteer anything more than they need in the true American way
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:29 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Not a drivers licence, a State ID Card. The drivers licence is for the future when I can get around to it. Scares me just thinking of driving in the States.
Did you drive in the UK?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Not a drivers licence, a State ID Card. The drivers licence is for the future when I can get around to it. Scares me just thinking of driving in the States.
Stop being a woose ......badly trained moose can get a FL Dl...
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scotz
Congratulations... Wait till you come back into the US and go through the citizens/LPR aisle and the customs guy tells you "welcome home"

That happened to me at JFK when I came back from a trip back to England and I replied "Yes I was thanks".
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:41 am
Your Fellow American

Scotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray
Stop being a woose ......badly trained moose can get a FL Dl...
So true Ray.. Just go up there and do it.. It is so basic you will laugh
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

newton817 will become famous soon enough

Never spoke with you before Kingfisher, but would like to offer you my sincere congratulations.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:19 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotz
Just remember. You are a permanent resident now.. no more uncertainty and no more cap in hand. Just to enlarge on Ian's post...

You need to go, take a number and sit in the local social security office unfortunately ... best to go either ridiculously early or about two hours before they close.(They tend to speed up in the last hour and a half before closing) You will need your green card and another ID plus your passport and any other darned thing that they are likely to dream up to make you go back home for. (Initially just show them the green card and volunteer nothing else unless they ask for it)

They will enter your data to verify your new status and it will earn you a nice new SS card with no restrictions on it in about ten days through the mail.

Next thing is jobs... American citizens/LPR's need only produce an unrestricted SS card and an ID for personnel for their I-9... So should you unless they specifically ask for anything else but there is really no reason why they should... So don't volunteer anything more than they need in the true American way
Got my GC last December and never knew about changing SS card until now. I'm assuming that it's only really needed when I next change jobs, but in that circumstance couldn't I just show my SS card and my GC (as proof of eligibility to work)?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Welcome New Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by tonrob
Got my GC last December and never knew about changing SS card until now. I'm assuming that it's only really needed when I next change jobs, but in that circumstance couldn't I just show my SS card and my GC (as proof of eligibility to work)?
Yes, you CAN do what you say, but there may be reasons you wouldn't want to.

With an updated SS card (and really, what is the hassle of getting it???), you can present it and a driver's licence to be hired. Your immigration status is noone else's business then.

When you naturalize to USC or make any immigration change, SSA asks/recommends that you notify them. (I'll find the link if you really really have to have it)
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... couldn't I just show my SS card and my GC (as proof of eligibility to work)?
If you have a GC, you don't need the SS card for the I-9. You might need it for other things, but not for the I-9.

Ian
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:25 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, you CAN do what you say, but there may be reasons you wouldn't want to.

With an updated SS card (and really, what is the hassle of getting it???), you can present it and a driver's licence to be hired. Your immigration status is noone else's business then.

When you naturalize to USC or make any immigration change, SSA asks/recommends that you notify them. (I'll find the link if you really really have to have it)
Well, on a good day it'd be 15 minutes of my life I'd never get back. Just wanted to check whether it was worth getting off my fat arse for.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:29 am

Well, on a good day it'd be 15 minutes of my life I'd never get back. Just wanted to check whether it was worth getting off my fat arse for.
<g>
It's good to mingle with the unwashed masses every now and again.

I like my SSA office.
All TWO times I've ever been there.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

There have been people whose GC expired, or even worse lost it, who had problems getting hired with the annotated SS card.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:04 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Elvira
There have been people whose GC expired, or even worse lost it, who had problems getting hired with the annotated SS card.
Thanks Elvira. Yes, I suppose it does seem like a good idea to get it sorted. Officially added to my to-do list!

Hope you're enjoying London, BTW. I'll be over on Thursday - can't wait!