Welcome New Permanent Resident

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Welcome New Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just for a laugh try it next time you're asked for ID. No-one knows what it is.
After we got back from Vermont following Carol's stay in hospital, I had to go to the Post Office in order to collect all our mail. Our mail had accrued over the month we were away. The lady at the post office asked for my ID and as I only had my green card with me, I showed it to her. She called over her boss to see if she could allow my GC as a form of ID. Her boss looked at the green card, looked at me, looked at the lady, then said, "yeah I think thats OK". Phew!! For a while there I thought I would have to go back home and get my damned passport.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome New Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
After we got back from Vermont following Carol's stay in hospital, I had to go to the Post Office in order to collect all our mail. Our mail had accrued over the month we were away. The lady at the post office asked for my ID and as I only had my green card with me, I showed it to her. She called over her boss to see if she could allow my GC as a form of ID. Her boss looked at the green card, looked at me, looked at the lady, then said, "yeah I think thats OK". Phew!! For a while there I thought I would have to go back home and get my damned passport.
You got lucky!!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

jakevisa is on a distinguished road

when one gets employer based green card, does one provide a copy of it to employer? or just show to human resource mgr to revise i-9 form?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:01 am
Your Fellow American

Scotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to all

Congratulations... Wait till you come back into the US and go through the citizens/LPR aisle and the customs guy tells you "welcome home"

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:56 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Welcome New Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by Scotz
Congratulations... Wait till you come back into the US and go through the citizens/LPR aisle and the customs guy tells you "welcome home"

I'm looking forward to doing that. I have'nt been out of the country for over 3 years. We are trying to organise a trip to Canada sometime, Niagara Falls together with a trip to see my family in Windsor Ontario. Carol still has'nt got a passport though, and the processing times for them seem to last forever.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jakevisa
when one gets employer based green card, does one provide a copy of it to employer?
You provide it *if* the employer asks for it... otherwise, no.

... or just show to human resource mgr to revise i-9 form?
You show it to HR *if* they ask to reverify your status... otherwise, no.

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

you're gonna have to pass your drivers test and get an ID, then no probs
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TruBrit
you're gonna have to pass your drivers test and get an ID, then no probs
I got my ID a week or so after we got back from Vermont.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Have you updated Social Security yet?
You are entitled to an SS card without the "DHS" legend on it. That and photo ID will be job hiring ID in the future.

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Smile Re: Welcome New Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by meauxna
Have you updated Social Security yet?
You are entitled to an SS card without the "DHS" legend on it. That and photo ID will be job hiring ID in the future.

No, got my original SS Card. Do I have to update it?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

well done you passed your drivers licence...dunno who is more pleased, you or carol
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

well done you passed your drivers licence...dunno who is more pleased, you or carol
I took it to mean he'd just got an ID card not a driver's licence but if he has....congratulations Kingfisher.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Not a drivers licence, a State ID Card. The drivers licence is for the future when I can get around to it. Scares me just thinking of driving in the States.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

No, got my original SS Card. Do I have to update it?
If your SS card says 'only valid with work authorization' you'll want to get it changed!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I took it to mean he'd just got an ID card not a driver's licence but if he has....congratulations Kingfisher.
i was hoping he meant drivers ID

Not a drivers licence, a State ID Card. The drivers licence is for the future when I can get around to it. Scares me just thinking of driving in the States.
oh for heavens sake man, if you can drive in the uk which i presume you can then this is a piece of piss .....the fun is dodging the maniacs on the road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.