Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP - Is this visiting pattern ok or will it raise problems?

VWP - Is this visiting pattern ok or will it raise problems?

Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP - Is this visiting pattern ok or will it raise problems?

Originally Posted by Jodie_London
I have to say... I honestly think that, as well as giving a lot of useful information, these forums can also be scaremongering. [...] Soooo, of course there is a risk, I don't deny that, but I think that more reasonable answers would be more helpful.
So what answer do you want? Seems the good people here can't win because either:
1. Everybody here says "you'll be fine, no problems getting in" and you get denied entry. Result: you rant because the advice was bad
2. Everybody here gives you advice about what could happen, in order to help you get in without problems. Result: you rant because you don't like the advice
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Jodie_London is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM
So what answer do you want? Seems the good people here can't win because either:
1. Everybody here says "you'll be fine, no problems getting in" and you get denied entry. Result: you rant because the advice was bad
2. Everybody here gives you advice about what could happen, in order to help you get in without problems. Result: you rant because you don't like the advice
I think that there is a % of risk that can be based on experience. So for example, someone who had two 90 visits to the US in 1 year, very high risk.

I don't want to judge my own situation, because otherwise there would be no point in me posting here, but something like:

1) What previous experince say
2) What additional documentarion would be helpful

By the end of September I would have spent 34 days in the US and 242 days in the UK, with no break < 50 days (one of 131 days).

I don't think it calls for alarmism, but I would just like to be prepared with all the documentation in order.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Soooo, of course there is a risk, I don't deny that, but I think that more reasonable answers would be more helpful.
You will not have any problems entering.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
I take this is sarcastic? ;-)
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I take this is sarcastic? ;-)
I would describe it as reasonable.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I think that more reasonable answers would be more helpful.
Were you really quoting Meauxna's response to you as being unreasonable and unhelpful? Your initial post was a query as to whether you could have problems on your next entry, and you received answers to that question. Meauxna gave you a very thoughtful and accurate response showing you what could be going through a border agent's mind when you ask for admittance to the US, and you apparently classified it as "scaremongering"? No one can say what will happen, but people have told you just what can happen.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Were you really quoting Meauxna's response to you as being unreasonable and unhelpful? Your initial post was a query as to whether you could have problems on your next entry, and you received answers to that question. Meauxna gave you a very thoughtful and accurate response showing you what could be going through a border agent's mind when you ask for admittance to the US, and you apparently classified it as "scaremongering"? No one can say what will happen, but people have told you just what can happen.
First of all: I would like to streess, that I appreciate everybody's help here.

What I was trying to say is this: we all know that the finale decision is made at the POE. And there is not much to be done about that.

Now, the point is that one can have all the intentions of going back to its own country, but if the custom officer is not sure, then you will be denied entry.

What I am saying here, is that maybe the focus should be on:

1) What can you do to make sure the officer at the POE is not suspicious (and I am NOT talking about lying, just making sure you do all you can to legally increase your chances)

2) Based on experience, given one's travel pattern etc, what is the likelyhood of the officer denying you entry, even if you have all the documentation you may need.

All the post I have read, of people being denied entry are related to people with 1) overstayed visa 2) back to back ~ 90 days visits 3) or people with not enough/wrong documentation (e.g. missing return tickets, no cash, no address, no letter of employment).

So... I hope you see my point, if I say, that what people are probably looking for in this forum is practical advice from people who have more experience and have lived similar situations.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

What I was trying to say is this: we all know that the finale decision is made at the POE. And there is not much to be done about that.

Now, the point is that one can have all the intentions of going back to its own country, but if the custom officer is not sure, then you will be denied entry.

1) What can you do to make sure the officer at the POE is not suspicious (and I am NOT talking about lying, just making sure you do all you can to legally increase your chances)

2) Based on experience, given one's travel pattern etc, what is the likelyhood of the officer denying you entry, even if you have all the documentation you may need.

All the post I have read, of people being denied entry are related to people with 1) overstayed visa 2) back to back ~ 90 days visits 3) or people with not enough/wrong documentation (e.g. missing return tickets, no cash, no address, no letter of employment).

So... I hope you see my point, if I say, that what people are probably looking for in this forum is practical advice from people who have more experience and have lived similar situations.
No matter how many times you ask the question and no matter how many ways you put it wont change the answers you've been given.

No one has a crystal ball and no one knows what mood the Border Guard is in on the day you arrive, and they have the power.

If you are so concerned about it why not fly through Dublin or Shannon where you clear customs there, then if you are denied it's not as far to get home.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

To begin with you had intentions of entering the US and working without a work visa...you now know that this is not legal. Please remember everyone here is giving you their unpaid time and opinions...of course you could always seek advice from an immigration attorney.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You've said you will leave your job.
You're willing to work in the US (or were) despite your knowledge of the VWP and that you are not allowed to work in the US on the VWP.
Without working will you still have enough money to support yourself for a year? A year is an interesting time period to post about.
You're going to go visit a man for 77 days who may or may not be your boyfriend, depending.
Your sister is magically at the point where she can apply for citizenship and petition you and your mother, and it's convenient that you'll be visiting during that time.

You've successfully visited many times over the past 5 years and are clearly aware of the potential risks but now you want us to be bookies and lay odds on your chances based on ..what, not our experience because you don't want to take our word for it.

Clearly you think there is something fishy about this trip (which is now 2 trips) but you're offended when we suggest that there might be something fishy. All we're doing is relaying how it can appear to the border agent, and you call it scaremongering, impractical, unfocused and alarmist.

All I can offer you is a mirror to see what you have shown us.
In December I intend to visit my boyfriend for 77 days. He lives in the US,
My sister lives in the US too as she has been married to a US citizen for 3 years.
I asked to be working part time and remotely for a few months to spend time with my family.
I have visited the US quite frequently in the last year. Roughly every two momnths, for about a week each time, not to see my boyfriend but also to see my sister.
Also this time, I also want to go to spend Christmas and NYE with her and my mum who will be visiting as well (for only a couple of weeks)
Thank you. Then I will ask for an unpad LOA and I am not going to be working. Do you think I will have problems with the frequency of my visits?
Since last XMas I made the following trips to the USA:

1) 24th Dec 09 to 4th Jan 10
2) 15th May 10 to 23rd May 10
3) 21st Jul to 28th Jul

Now I am planning to go from

18th Sep to 26th Sep
Dec 4th to Jan 5th.

I have sufficient funds to support myself for about a year withouth working.
I have travelled about 4 times a yeat in the US for the past 5 years because my sister lives there.

And my "boyfriend". Well we have only sort of date for a few months.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I am being made feel like a criminal, ...
I am puzzled by this comment. Where do you get the idea that you will get the protections given to criminal suspects? I see no hint of this in the answers in this thread.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

SUrely they mush have sound reason to refuse you entry.
They don't need a reason at all. Why? Because it's their job to keep non-US citizens out of the US... and the US government gives them the widest possible latitude to do just that.

Ian
Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
You've said you will leave your job.
You're willing to work in the US (or were) despite your knowledge of the VWP and that you are not allowed to work in the US on the VWP.
Without working will you still have enough money to support yourself for a year? A year is an interesting time period to post about.
You're going to go visit a man for 77 days who may or may not be your boyfriend, depending.
Your sister is magically at the point where she can apply for citizenship and petition you and your mother, and it's convenient that you'll be visiting during that time.

You've successfully visited many times over the past 5 years and are clearly aware of the potential risks but now you want us to be bookies and lay odds on your chances based on ..what, not our experience because you don't want to take our word for it.

Clearly you think there is something fishy about this trip (which is now 2 trips) but you're offended when we suggest that there might be something fishy. All we're doing is relaying how it can appear to the border agent, and you call it scaremongering, impractical, unfocused and alarmist.

All I can offer you is a mirror to see what you have shown us.

1) I am not going to LEAVE my job. I can just go on a LOA (Leave of abscence), which means I am still FULLY EMPLOYED BY A UK COMPANY

2) I didn't know I could not work FOR A UK COMPANY until someone said it here

And I am grateful I have posted, because clearly I wasn't aware I could not work for a UK company (since the VWP says business and pleasure, I had thought that could be considered business) and I could have done something illegal without knowing.

And this is helpful as I really don't want to do anything illegal.

As for the rest, you give me insight in the mind of a border agent, so I thank you for that too.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

1) I am not going to LEAVE my job. I can just go on a LOA (Leave of abscence), which means I am still FULLY EMPLOYED BY A UK COMPANY
You're not 'fully employed' for the purpose of this conversation though. You're off work for several months. Under current conditions, that looks a lot like not having a job. We're not discussing technicalities of translation, we're talking about using a job as evidence that one needs to return to their home country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.