Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP - Is this visiting pattern ok or will it raise problems?

VWP - Is this visiting pattern ok or will it raise problems?

Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:04 am
Account Closed

Jodie_London is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting boyfriend under VWP - Advice Needed

Hello,

In December I intend to visit my boyfriend for 77 days. He lives in the US, and I live in the UK, although I am an Italian citizen. My sister lives in the US too as she has been married to a US citizen for 3 years.

I have my return flight and I will have a letter from my work stating that I am expected back on a certain date in February and that I am fully employed. I asked to be working part time and remotely for a few months to spend time with my family.

Also I will keep paying rent at my flat and I will have a letter from my landlord and the rolling contract.

Will that be enough proof to let me in the US, do you reckon?

I have visited the US quite frequently in the last year. Roughly every two momnths, for about a week each time, not to see my boyfriend but also to see my sister. And that is the reason, truthful, that I declared at the border. I will go in September too for about a week.

Also this time, I also want to go to spend Christmas and NYE with her and my mum who will be visiting as well (for only a couple of weeks)

Do you think I will have any problems?

Thank you!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visiting boyfriend under VWP - Advice Needed

You might, but you know that.

The real red flag I see is working remotely on the VWP whist in the US.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

'I asked to be working part time and remotely for a few months to spend time with my family.'

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but does the above mean you will be working remotely whilst you're visiting the US for 77 days?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
'I asked to be working part time and remotely for a few months to spend time with my family.'

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but does the above mean you will be working remotely whilst you're visiting the US for 77 days?
Yes, that would be the idea. But if it is illegalo (which I didn't know) I could alternatevely ask for an unpaid leave of abescence. Would that be ok?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you are not working whilst in the US then a leave of absence could be OK. At the end of the day the decision is with the officer at POE, working whilst on a VWP is not allowed
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
As long as you are not working whilst in the US then a leave of absence could be OK. At the end of the day the decision is with the officer at POE, working whilst on a VWP is not allowed
Thank you. Then I will ask for an unpad LOA and I am not going to be working. Do you think I will have problems with the frequency of my visits?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jodie_London
Yes, that would be the idea. But if it is illegalo (which I didn't know) I could alternatevely ask for an unpaid leave of abescence. Would that be ok?
You can't work while you're in the US using VWP.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can't work while you're in the US using VWP.
An unpaid leave of abscence means that I would not be working at all. I would just be on a temporary leave and then I ll go back to work. That should be ok!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

The more you visit, the higher the chance you're gonna get bounced.

We can't tell you what's gonna happen. Just be as prepared as you can with evidence of your ties to the UK.

One thing I'd ask if I was a CBP officer is, what kinda job gives someone 77 days off? Can't be bad...
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
The more you visit, the higher the chance you're gonna get bounced.

We can't tell you what's gonna happen. Just be as prepared as you can with evidence of your ties to the UK.

One thing I'd ask if I was a CBP officer is, what kinda job gives someone 77 days off? Can't be bad...
The truth is that to reduce costs, they are asking employees to take voluntary time off work. They don't want to lay people off, so they are encouraging them to take time off on their own accord if they wish to...
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

Question VWP - Is this visiting pattern ok or will it raise problems?

Hello,

I am an Italian Citizen, but I have been living in the UK for 6 years.

Since last XMas I made the following trips to the USA:

1) 24th Dec 09 to 4th Jan 10
2) 15th May 10 to 23rd May 10
3) 21st Jul to 28th Jul

Now I am planning to go from

18th Sep to 26th Sep

and then for about a month from Dec 4th to Jan 5th.

I have a full time job in the UK, that intend to return to. And I always have a letter of my employer stating this. I am renting here in the UK and I have sufficient funds to support myself for about a year withouth working.

The reason for my trips have been, visiting friends, sister (married to USC) and recently visiting a guy that I am dating, although he is not a proper boyfriend yet (still under discussion).

I know it is down to the POE, but according to your experience, what is the likelyhood to be bounced back?

Thanks,

Jodie
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The truth is that to reduce costs, they are asking employees to take voluntary time off work. They don't want to lay people off, so they are encouraging them to take time off on their own accord if they wish to...
Maybe you could get a letter from your employer explaining that. Then if asked about your job at the port of entry you have proof.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP - Is this visiting pattern ok or will it raise problems?

why are you asking the same question twice?
Many people have taken the time to give, imo, very sound advice on your other thread.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lisa67
why are you asking the same question twice?
Many people have taken the time to give, imo, very sound advice on your other thread.
Because on the other thread, people focused on the working remotely, that now I am not going to do anymore. I am concerned about the frequency.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be direspectful at all.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Because on the other thread, people focused on the working remotely, that now I am not going to do anymore. I am concerned about the frequency.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be direspectful at all.
Hi Jodie,

I merged your two threads, since it's all the same question.

There is really no way to know in advance if your previous pattern of travel will be OK or not. It's totally up to the POE officer. On one hand, you've been visiting the USA a lot recently. On the other hand, you went home on time each time. So, there's no way to answer your question...your fate will be known on the day you arrive at the POE.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.