USCIS Officers....

Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USCIS Officers....

Why do I need chemistry or physics? I didn't even take them in college.

FWIW, there was a lovely letter in the editorial section of our local paper this past June from a college graduate who attended her sister's high school graduation.

In essence the letter concerned itself with the school's policy to publicly recognize those who were members of the honor society, those who placed with the top 10% of the class, gave the name of the college that a graduate had been accepted to for September's new semester.

She felt, as many do and as I myself do, that those students who were not top achievers but still were able to graduate and those who were top achievers but chose not to attend a college immediately after HS graduation were slighted.

As she pointed out not every profession requires a college degree. Plumbers, electricians, construction workers, secretaries, word processors, etc. are just a few professions that earn good money and are not required to have a college degree. Both men and women in these professions will be able to earn a wage that will support a family, purchase a home (type, size depends on geographical location), send a child to college with the help of grants, student loans, home equity loans. They can be just as knowledgable about the arts and literature as a MS degree holder.

No one person should be made to feel inferior based on their education. At one time in history in this country, an attorney did not have to go to a university to become an attorney. They could study under an attorney and pass the bar, or what equated to today's present bar, and practice law.

So bear that in mind. The world needs all levels of educated people. As long as they are doing what they like to do and are working to their complete satisfaction, no one should feel they are above them.

Soap Box has been put away.

Originally Posted by violator_dm
Here are a couple of thoughts for all those haters...

A person with a college degree will earn about $1 million more in their lifetime than people without one.

You have a position open. You have two resumes. One is from a college graduate. Another one from someone with a high school diploma. Who would you invite for an interview? (Now, let's be honest).

I find it completely odd that at the time when affordable college education is on the agenda of every politician, there are people who seem to think that you can go on in your life without it (education). Besides, people can graduate high school in the US without any knowledge of physics or chemistry. A fact. Ask my wife. Fortunately for her, she did go to school and is going to graduate with an MBA this year. Education is the best investment anyone can make.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rushman
Just as hard to name all the ex University grads that have made a total bollocks of their education and ended up as complete losers. Usually teaching in comprehensive schools.
I wonder how many people with high school diplomas can do that? (teach at ANY school)
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many people with high school diplomas can do that? (teach at ANY school)
Who could to afford to work as a poorly paid teacher ...
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

"They could study under an attorney and pass the bar, or what equated to today's present bar, and practice law"

Rete, aren't you a paralegal? Then you should know that there are states where it is OK to take the Bar without going to law school, but do the "office study." Of course the Bar passing rates for those are abysmal.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You have a position open. You have two resumes. One is from a college graduate. Another one from someone with a high school diploma. Who would you invite for an interview? (Now, let's be honest).
This isn't an either/or situation... as much as you might want to believe it is. However, all else being equal, I'd hire the guy with the high school diploma... he'd be less expensive. I know this, because you wrote that college graduates earn about 1M more in their lifetime... and I figure they have to start somewhere.

Now, rhetorically, the answer is the college graduate... but that's only if education is a factor. You don't mention experience which, in many jobs, is far more valuable. At any rate, since you know in advance that you'll have to pay the college graduate more, then if profit is important, perhaps that might be a deciding factor.

The problem with your question, generally speaking, is that it isn't comprehensive enough to take into account myriad variables - any one of which might tip the balance of the equation. As I said, it isn't simply an either/or situation.

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Who could to afford to work as a poorly paid teacher ...
For Washington DC (local for me)

Elementary school teacher average salary $51041
High school teacher average salary $53227

Source: salary.com

I think making over $50k is alright, considering that the teachers' union is one of the strongest in the country catering to the Democratic party. That just means that you'll get more in benefits and raises.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

For Washington DC (local for me)

Elementary school teacher average salary $51041
High school teacher average salary $53227

Source: salary.com

I think making over $50k is alright, considering that the teachers' union is one of the strongest in the country catering to the Democratic party. That just means that you'll get more in benefits and raises.
Umm!! well I retired 10 years..and earned more than double that
without a degree .. even then ...
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This isn't an either/or situation... as much as you might want to believe it is. However, all else being equal, I'd hire the guy with the high school diploma... he'd be less expensive. I know this, because you wrote that college graduates earn about 1M more in their lifetime... and I figure they have to start somewhere.

Now, rhetorically, the answer is the college graduate... but that's only if education is a factor. You don't mention experience which, in many jobs, is far more valuable. At any rate, since you know in advance that you'll have to pay the college graduate more, then if profit is important, perhaps that might be a deciding factor.

The problem with your question, generally speaking, is that it isn't comprehensive enough to take into account myriad variables - any one of which might tip the balance of the equation. As I said, it isn't simply an either/or situation.

Ian
Education is the only factor provided in the question. That means that it is the only factor to be used in the decision.

You can't talk about profits, margins etc, because you don't know what the job entails. How about rocket science? Would you still hire a high school graduate?

Here is another interesting story. Another friend of mine, who is a very bright attorney who wrote briefs for the Supreme Court, applied for a job with the State Department. His experience included leading projects against torture, other human rights initiatives. The job was perfect for him as his expertise in the area of human rights was above and beyond. The problem was, that he was a JD and not an MA. The State Department passed on him (he was one of the two candidates considered), even though the hiring manager told him he was better suited for the job than the other guy. But the government guidelines indicated that he had to have MA. Yet, USCIS officers whose decisions affect livelihoods of millions, don't even need an AA. I just think there is no consistence here.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Umm!! well I retired 10 years..and earned more than double that
without a degree .. even then ...
Well, we don't know that. At least I provided a source.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lulu204
Rushman, I'm scared of the moderators on this board. No seriously, I am. They've already driven me to alcohol...its barely midday and I'm on my second glass of Pimms....

Nah ... not us. That's a Brit's normal way of life I understand ... bending the elbow from Noon onwards
Ray

Well, we don't know that. At least I provided a source.
Well I retired at 49 ..... I still manage ...
Forum Regular

lulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud of

I had a friend back in Boston with a similar issue....

Violator, it seems nobody wants to hear this kind of argument in this particular forum...sad, especially as you provide relevance to the USCIS issue.

I remember my AOS officer - lovely chap in all honesty, but had only been in America himself for four years (he was Asian)...kept complimenting me on my *beautiful english accent and pronounication*...I had to help him out over a couple of words he was reading on one of our pieces of evidence. My hubbie and I were exchanging incredulous glances....

I mean, what's there left to say?

Education is the only factor provided in the question. That means that it is the only factor to be used in the decision.

You can't talk about profits, margins etc, because you don't know what the job entails. How about rocket science? Would you still hire a high school graduate?

Here is another interesting story. Another friend of mine, who is a very bright attorney who wrote briefs for the Supreme Court, applied for a job with the State Department. His experience included leading projects against torture, other human rights initiatives. The job was perfect for him as his expertise in the area of human rights was above and beyond. The problem was, that he was a JD and not an MA. The State Department passed on him (he was one of the two candidates considered), even though the hiring manager told him he was better suited for the job than the other guy. But the government guidelines indicated that he had to have MA. Yet, USCIS officers whose decisions affect livelihoods of millions, don't even need an AA. I just think there is no consistence here.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:12 pm
Concierge

"They could study under an attorney and pass the bar, or what equated to today's present bar, and practice law"

Rete, aren't you a paralegal? Then you should know that there are states where it is OK to take the Bar without going to law school, but do the "office study." Of course the Bar passing rates for those are abysmal.

Not any longer. The Commonwealth of Virginia was the last one and they did away with that a few years ago.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Okay then... I'd invite both for an interview. Why? Because if I invited only one, some government pencil pusher would cite EEO violations and discriminatory hiring practices!

But the government guidelines indicated that he had to have MA.
So, the problem isn't so much with the HR department, as with the guy who wrote the guideline! Still, it's a shame.

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

lulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud of

HEAR THAT EVERYONE??!?!!?

She's just insulted the Brits...

Originally Posted by Rete
Nah ... not us. That's a Brit's normal way of life I understand ... bending the elbow from Noon onwards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.