USCIS Officers....

Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

lulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud of
Default USCIS Officers....

***saw this post (below) on another immigration forum and thought I would share with those on this site...apologies if discussed before, but i had no idea these officers are paid mostly from our fees....or that they didnt' have to have an education...sorry if this sounds naive of me!***
Louise

I can remember only three different times when officers were nice and treated me with a respect. Rest of them (and I have dealt with them for almost eight years!) were just insecure jerks which showed me a power for no reason. Guys, they get paid from OUR money, 99% of their salaries comes from OUR fees, plus, we pay taxes! I was brave enough to tell interviewing officer what he didn`t expect after treating me horrible, and guess what-he is still in the game making my life without a desicion on my case for the past three years. To be an officer, you actually don`t have to have an education or to be clever; even for ajudicational officer to be accepted for the position is enough to be able to write decent paragraphs with minimal grammar mistakes (I checked USCIS job offers-was in shock)-we can all do that, and most of us (and, I speak for myself, too) are much educated than them, it must pissed them off. Most of them are bunch of loosers who get federal benefits and salary from our pocket.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:27 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USCIS Officers....

Originally Posted by lulu204
***saw this post (below) on another immigration forum and thought I would share with those on this site...apologies if discussed before, but i had no idea these officers are paid mostly from our fees....or that they didnt' have to have an education...sorry if this sounds naive of me!***
Louise

I can remember only three different times when officers were nice and treated me with a respect. Rest of them (and I have dealt with them for almost eight years!) were just insecure jerks which showed me a power for no reason. Guys, they get paid from OUR money, 99% of their salaries comes from OUR fees, plus, we pay taxes! I was brave enough to tell interviewing officer what he didn`t expect after treating me horrible, and guess what-he is still in the game making my life without a desicion on my case for the past three years. To be an officer, you actually don`t have to have an education or to be clever; even for ajudicational officer to be accepted for the position is enough to be able to write decent paragraphs with minimal grammar mistakes (I checked USCIS job offers-was in shock)-we can all do that, and most of us (and, I speak for myself, too) are much educated than them, it must pissed them off. Most of them are bunch of loosers who get federal benefits and salary from our pocket.
Could you please provide a link to where you read this?

It looks like it was written by someone angry about the way their immigration case was going and/or being handled who was just spouting off about USCIS. It does not sound like it was written by someone with inside knowledge of how USCIS hires its employees. So not only is it a biased viewpoint, but it's possible that it's also not entirely accurate. By providing the link then we can see the context in which these comments were written; at face value they mean very little.

PS. I think it's hysterical that the person the OP quoted chastises the USCIS officers' grammar skills, then immediately goes on to make a ton of grammar mistakes him/herself. For example, calling them "a bunch of loosers" -- I rest my case.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Could you please provide a link to where you read this?

It looks like it was written by someone angry about the way their immigration case was going and/or being handled who was just spouting off about USCIS. It does not sound like it was written by someone with inside knowledge of how USCIS hires its employees. So not only is it a biased viewpoint, but it's possible that it's also not entirely accurate. By providing the link then we can see the context in which these comments were written; at face value they mean very little.

PS. I think it's hysterical that the person the OP quoted chastises the USCIS officers' grammar skills, then immediately goes on to make a ton of grammar mistakes him/herself. For example, calling them "a bunch of loosers" -- I rest my case.

~ Jenney

A good friend of mine graduated from law school, passed the bar and decided to work for the USCIS. She quit within a week after seeing the kind of people working there. 90% of them only had high school diplomas.

I worked for a State agency myself. My "supervisor" (mind you, it was a Legal Unit) did not have a JD, not even a college degree! She had worked there for a gazillion years and made her way up. That didn't change the fact that she was completely incompetent.

There are, of course, very smart and courteous immigration officers. But most of them work for USCIS offices abroad (here's a compliment to all USCIS officers at the US Embassy in Moscow). But what can we do? Nothing.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/get...&TabNum=3&rc=6
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

This basically says that you can substitute an MA, JD or an LLB with... only 2 years of experience! JD is a 3 year full time advanced professional degree! Oh, well...
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Lulu

I'm assuming you are unaware of copyright law and have not read the FAQ's of the BE site. By posting the quote from someone else and not giving a URL link to the actual post itself, you have violated the guidelines setup by BE. Also you cannot quote someone without their permission and if without their permission without the actual link to where the original verbage was posted.

Yes, you are naive. It is a US Government Agency. Where did you think the monies for their salaries come from. All US Government (federal, state and local) employees are paid by the taxes collected of private citizens.

As for the followup posts to your OP, what is so very wrong with only having a high school diploma? A college degree does not mean you are smarter than someone with only a HSD nor does it mean that you cannot do your job properly. If the employee at the USCIS is not performing their position properly, it might well be that they were not given the proper training. There isn't a school that one can attend to learn to be a USCIS employee. Even a JD learns the ropes by actually doing and observing other JD's within their law firm. A three year degree does not make you a good attorney; only gives you the right to practice as one in certain states if you pass the state bar.

Disrespectful behavior should not be tolerated by an service person. The one disrespectful USCIS employee that my husband encountered during AOS was promptly reported to the USCIS Internal Audit Unit and resulted in a call at home from that agency and a reprimand of the employee involved.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by violator_dm
This basically says that you can substitute an MA, JD or an LLB with... only 2 years of experience! JD is a 3 year full time advanced professional degree! Oh, well...

I qualify for the position
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Lulu

I'm assuming you are unaware of copyright law and have not read the FAQ's of the BE site. By posting the quote from someone else and not giving a URL link to the actual post itself, you have violated the guidelines setup by BE. Also you cannot quote someone without their permission and if without their permission without the actual link to where the original verbage was posted.

Yes, you are naive. It is a US Government Agency. Where did you think the monies for their salaries come from. All US Government (federal, state and local) employees are paid by the taxes collected of private citizens.

As for the followup posts to your OP, what is so very wrong with only having a high school diploma? A college degree does not mean you are smarter than someone with only a HSD nor does it mean that you cannot do your job properly. If the employee at the USCIS is not performing their position properly, it might well be that they were not given the proper training. There isn't a school that one can attend to learn to be a USCIS employee. Even a JD learns the ropes by actually doing and observing other JD's within their law firm. A three year degree does not make you a good attorney; only gives you the right to practice as one in certain states if you pass the state bar.

Disrespectful behavior should not be tolerated by an service person. The one disrespectful USCIS employee that my husband encountered during AOS was promptly reported to the USCIS Internal Audit Unit and resulted in a call at home from that agency and a reprimand of the employee involved.
You know better than anyone else here, that JDs (in general) have advance analytical skills. This is what Legal Writing is for.

Would you go to see a doctor who only has a HSD? No? Why? Does it mean he "cannot do his job properly"?
If one is accused of a felony, would that someone hire a HSD "lawyer"?
If a company is working on a multi-billion dollar takeover, why don't they hire 10 high school graduates to write a business plan for them?

Some jobs must be done by professionals only.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This basically says that you can substitute an MA, JD or an LLB with... only 2 years of experience! JD is a 3 year full time advanced professional degree!
Yes... as are the MA and LLB degrees. Outrageous that they'll substitute 2 years of experience!

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:04 pm
Concierge

You know better than anyone else here, that JDs (in general) have advance analytical skills. This is what Legal Writing is for.

Would you go to see a doctor who only has a HSD? No? Why? Does it mean he "cannot do his job properly"?
If one is accused of a felony, would that someone hire a HSD "lawyer"?
If a company is working on a multi-billion dollar takeover, why don't they hire 10 high school graduates to write a business plan for them?

Some jobs must be done by professionals only.

I was NOT referring to specialized professions, i.e. attorneys, dentists, doctors or chiropractors. I was referring to adjudicating officers of USCIS. There is no reason why you need a JD to perform that function. A high school diploma, adequate training and other mental characteristics are all that is needed to perform that job.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

...and other mental characteristics are all that is needed to perform that job.
That's the key!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

lulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud of

Excuse me - I went to a *Ivy League equivalent* university in England....does that make me smarter than the average person with a high school diploma or a college dropout?? Yes it does, I'm afraid. That's YOU being naive, there...the kind of intellect that these officers have that you refer to are 'street smarts'...I doubt people with just a high school diploma could explain in full succinct detail Dante's Nine Circles of Hell...which coincidentally, could be used as a euphemism for this whole immigration debacle...

I appreciate your expertise in this area Reete and also your position on this board. The advice that you keep people on this forum is undoubtedly invaluable, but I'm sorry, in between having an extremely busy 80 hour work week plus other heavy commitments, I did not manage to squeeze in the time to read your BE Guidelines...I dip in and out of this forum whenever I have five minutes to spare and spot a relevant (to my situation) thread...

Lulu

Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

A sad story - thank you for sharing.

A good friend of mine graduated from law school, passed the bar and decided to work for the USCIS. She quit within a week after seeing the kind of people working there. 90% of them only had high school diplomas.

I worked for a State agency myself. My "supervisor" (mind you, it was a Legal Unit) did not have a JD, not even a college degree! She had worked there for a gazillion years and made her way up. That didn't change the fact that she was completely incompetent.

There are, of course, very smart and courteous immigration officers. But most of them work for USCIS offices abroad (here's a compliment to all USCIS officers at the US Embassy in Moscow). But what can we do? Nothing.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

...but I'm sorry, in between having an extremely busy 80 hour work week plus other heavy commitments, I did not manage to squeeze in the time to read your BE Guidelines...I dip in and out of this forum whenever I have five minutes to spare and spot a relevant (to my situation) thread...
Hi lulu,

I suggest reading the Guidelines on your next visit to BE.

Rene
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me - I went to a *Ivy League equivalent* university in England....does that make me smarter than the average person with a high school diploma or a college dropout?? Yes it does, I'm afraid. ...
In your dreams lady ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.