Two Passports

Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Two Passports

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hmmm, but how would they know she wasn't?
Hi:

They ask for evidence of residence in the UK.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What if she only gave them a copy of her US passport? I don't think that shows a natz. date. Do you think she could get away with only showing the PP, and not the natz. certificate?

If anything, it wouldn't hurt for them to try the DCF route, the worst that happens is that they lose a few weeks of processing time. They won't even lose the I-130 fee, since London so kindly returns those with the application.
Naturalized citz have to put their Certificate number on the I-130, don't they? I don't see how she could conceal that info by using just her PP. And then there's the evidence of residence requested on the I-130 checklist.

Like you say, no harm no foul, but I think this couple has already submitted their I-130 stateside.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Jelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by M S
Thank you Neil, that is the point I was trying to make, as entering the UK you wouldnt have to show flight tickets, that didnt match your passport. On leaving the US, leaving UK and entering the US again, they would have to show the US passport.

Just a query about this. Do you have to leave the US on a US passport if you are a US citizen.( also a UK citizen)? I would have thought it was ok to leave on your UK passport.
I only ask as possible I wont have time to get my US passport after oath ceremony before travelling to UK, and they take the Greencard from you. I will be in UK for a few months too.

thanks for any advice
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jelly100
Do you have to leave the US on a US passport if you are a US citizen.
According to 8 USC § 1185(b) it is "unlawful" for a US citizen to leave or attempt to leave the US without a valid US passport. There is some discussion in another forum, whether this is actually the law or merely a guideline! At any rate, since there is no immigration exit control when leaving the US, there doesn't seem to be much more in it than a slap on the wrist... if they ever put 2+2 together (which is highly unlikely).

There seems to be general agreement (probably because it is a law... at least, that's what folks seem to agree on), that if you are a USC, you *must* enter the US with a valid US passport.

Ian
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:43 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M S
Are you getting my point that she could not leave the UK on a british passport, which has a different name than the one on the tickets. If the US passport and flight tickets had her new married name, and her british one didnt could she use her british passport and flight tickets to leave the UK??????????
In that situation, the woman could just bring a certified copy of her marriage certificate as proof of name change.

Originally Posted by M S
Hi, Welcome to Britexpats, congratulations on getting married and your I130 process, I hope it all goes as planned for you and your husband. I would suggest despite the comments above, that you use your US passport as you are a citizen there. Although they may or not stamp your passport, they almost certainly swipe it. Which means if you used 2 passports, it may show a record of you being out of the country for a long period as you have used your other one to get in or out. I would reccomend that you use your US passport in order to keep everything at the USCIS sweet until your husband is there. Do both passports show your new married name??? Good luck
You're writing to your wife as if she's a total stranger, and also referring to yourself in the third person. That's very odd. I'm curious as to why you were trying to hide your identity. Is it because you weren't sure your answer to her question was correct (which it wasn't)?

I don't expect you to respond, but I'm really curious.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Just a query about this. Do you have to leave the US on a US passport if you are a US citizen.( also a UK citizen)? I would have thought it was ok to leave on your UK passport.
I only ask as possible I wont have time to get my US passport after oath ceremony before travelling to UK, and they take the Greencard from you. I will be in UK for a few months too.

thanks for any advice
how do you plan on getting back in? AFAIK, your naturalization certificate is not sufficient for re-entry and you won't have your greencard anymore. Also, if I were you, I wouldn't chance taking your natz cert out of the country with you. If it was lost, damaged, etc, it's a pain in the a$$ to replace.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

how do you plan on getting back in? AFAIK, your naturalization certificate is not sufficient for re-entry and you won't have your greencard anymore. Also, if I were you, I wouldn't chance taking your natz cert out of the country with you. If it was lost, damaged, etc, it's a pain in the a$$ to replace.
They're going to let you back in. They may bitch and whine, and I believe they can (but don't) hit you with a fine. But you're going to get back in even with no documentation. The question is whether an airline is going to let you board the plane -- unless that is you're coming in through a land or sea border.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for any advice
Why do you think you won't have time? It can be done in a day. We had travel booked for one week from oath ceremony & got it done. Look for the recent post from 'Marmalade' who just had oath ceremony today and is going to get the passport Monday and travel shortly afterward.

Look for the Passport Authority page links in the Marmalade saga.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:59 am

It is not sufficient for anything except (perhaps) the Mexican and Canadian land borders. All flight entries require a passport.
That's why we did the passport rush; at the time he could've used his certificate but the danger of losing it while backpacking in Mexico was too great.. it takes like a year to replace it!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:50 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It is not sufficient for anything except (perhaps) the Mexican and Canadian land borders. All flight entries require a passport.
That's why we did the passport rush; at the time he could've used his certificate but the danger of losing it while backpacking in Mexico was too great.. it takes like a year to replace it!
Meaux, I was told by the USCIS rep at my naturalization ceremony that it typically only takes 6-9 months to replace a natz cert. Don't be such a pessimist!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Meaux, I was told by the USCIS rep at my naturalization ceremony that it typically only takes 6-9 months to replace a natz cert. Don't be such a pessimist!
hehe.. I'm old school.. "I-130s take three years!!! And you kids get off of my lawn!" <shakefist>
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
According to 8 USC § 1185(b) it is "unlawful" for a US citizen to leave or attempt to leave the US without a valid US passport. There is some discussion in another forum, whether this is actually the law or merely a guideline! At any rate, since there is no immigration exit control when leaving the US, there doesn't seem to be much more in it than a slap on the wrist... if they ever put 2+2 together (which is highly unlikely).

There seems to be general agreement (probably because it is a law... at least, that's what folks seem to agree on), that if you are a USC, you *must* enter the US with a valid US passport.

Ian
Hi Ian:

I didn't know that there were two other threads on this. Other than the one I participated in, where is the other one? I'd like to read it.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

I think thats everyone personal choice. But when I become a US citizen why keep my citizenship from my country of origin when I wanna live, work and die in the USA. US is the best country in the world!!! I love you all my American friends!!! Happy Holidays
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
I didn't know that there were two other threads on this.
Funny guy! Well then, tell us... regardless of how minor the consequences might be, is it the law that a USC leave and enter the US using a valid US passport? I believe it is, but my belief doesn't make it so!

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Funny guy! Well then, tell us... regardless of how minor the consequences might be, is it the law that a USC leave and enter the US using a valid US passport? I believe it is, but my belief doesn't make it so!

Ian
Ian:

Section 215(b) of the Immigration & Nationality Act gives you the answer -- and you know that. The INA is the mother "law" on the subject.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.