Two Passports

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:08 am
Just Joined

MagStu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two Passports

I have read that many people retain their English passport when they become a US citizen. I have recently become a US citizen, so that I can bring my English husband over to live in the US. I wanted to keep my British passport vaild. I have also read that some people use the British passport to enter England and then their American passport to re-enter the US. My question is:- if I use the British passport to enter England, it will not be stamped. Will this not raise a flag to the immigration officers when I use my American passport to re-enter the States, also with no stamp in it???? I have checked my children's passports, and every time we went to the UK, my English one was not stamped and their American ones were. When we returned to the US, mine was stamped and theirs were not.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two Passports

Originally Posted by MagStu
I have read that many people retain their English passport when they become a US citizen. I have recently become a US citizen, so that I can bring my English husband over to live in the US. I wanted to keep my British passport vaild. I have also read that some people use the British passport to enter England and then their American passport to re-enter the US. My question is:- if I use the British passport to enter England, it will not be stamped. Will this not raise a flag to the immigration officers when I use my American passport to re-enter the States, also with no stamp in it????
No, it won't, normally. If they were to ask why there is no stamp, just tell them the truth.

By the way, there's no such thing as an "English" passport.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:20 am
Just Joined

So there is no law that says I cannot use two passports, depending on which way I am travelling???
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Will this not raise a flag to the immigration officers when I use my American passport to re-enter the States
No - you must use your US passport to enter the US. The US doesn't care what passport you use to enter another country.

I have checked my children's passports, and every time we went to the UK, my English one was not stamped and their American ones were.
Of course, they were using a "foreign" passport to enter the UK. You used a UK passport. That's how they do it in the UK.

When we returned to the US, mine was stamped and theirs were not.
I don't think it matters. When my wife (US passport only) and I (US and UK passport) returned to the US after a trip to Britain this summer, both our passports were stamped on reentry to the US. My UK passport was not stamped when we landed in Edinburgh, but her US passport was.

None of this explains why things happen, but as long as you use a US passport when entering the US, it doesn't matter whether it's stamped or not.

So there is no law that says I cannot use two passports, depending on which way I am travelling?
I always travel with 2 passports. I use a UK passport when entering the UK, and a US passport when entering the US. If you are a US citizen, you *must* use a US passport when entering the US.

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your help. It helps to hear that other people have used two passports.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your help. It helps to hear that other people have used two passports.
I wasn't going to brag, but I also use my Canadian passport when I visit my family in Toronto! But yes... I always travel with 2 passports. Nothing wrong with it at all... and perfectly normal for us international types!

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There is a bit more to it than just that; I highly recommend
Dual Citizenship FAQ Dual Nationality and United States Law by Rich Wales

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

You need to understand your obligations to the US to stay on the right side of things.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:22 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read that many people retain their English passport when they become a US citizen. I have recently become a US citizen, so that I can bring my English husband over to live in the US. I wanted to keep my British passport vaild. I have also read that some people use the British passport to enter England and then their American passport to re-enter the US. My question is:- if I use the British passport to enter England, it will not be stamped. Will this not raise a flag to the immigration officers when I use my American passport to re-enter the States, also with no stamp in it???? I have checked my children's passports, and every time we went to the UK, my English one was not stamped and their American ones were. When we returned to the US, mine was stamped and theirs were not.
Hi:

My brother-in-law is a dual UK/US national who lives in the UK. He uses his US passport to enter and leave the USA but uses his British passport to enter the UK.

In any case, the US Customs declaration asks for countries visited when you return to the US. It is that which causes the inquiries. Besides, many countries are kind of careless in stamping people in. I know that Israel will refrain from placing a stamp in the passport and will stamp an insert instead to carry in your passport. [On top of that, being required to travel to Israel and countries which don't particularly like the Zionist Entity is one of the few times the US State Department will issue two passports to the same person].
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:20 pm
M S
Forum Regular

M S is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Welcome to Britexpats, congratulations on getting married and your I130 process, I hope it all goes as planned for you and your husband. I would suggest despite the comments above, that you use your US passport as you are a citizen there. Although they may or not stamp your passport, they almost certainly swipe it. Which means if you used 2 passports, it may show a record of you being out of the country for a long period as you have used your other one to get in or out. I would reccomend that you use your US passport in order to keep everything at the USCIS sweet until your husband is there. Do both passports show your new married name??? Good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by M S
I would suggest despite the comments above, that you use your US passport as you are a citizen there.
What do you mean "despite the comments above"? I, for one, specifically wrote, "If you are a US citizen, you *must* use a US passport when entering the US."

Do both passports show your new married name?
Despite this being a somewhat sexist comment, there is *no* requirement to ever change your name in your passport. When travelling, the only requirement is that the plane tickets match the name in the passport.

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:56 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I wasn't going to brag, but I also use my Canadian passport when I visit my family in Toronto! But yes... I always travel with 2 passports. Nothing wrong with it at all... and perfectly normal for us international types!

Ian
And may come in quite handy when traveling through India when you don't want to be British or American.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M S
Which means if you used 2 passports, it may show a record of you being out of the country for a long period
That doesn't really matter. She's a USC, she can stay outside the US for as long as she wants.

Actually, since she is a dual citizen, she can file her I-130 at the US consulate and shorten the processing time. If she does that, all she needs is proof of domicile in the US and a US-based income (for sponsorhip purposes).

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Dec 3rd 2008 at 5:27 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by annqldau
And may come in quite handy when traveling through India when you don't want to be British or American.
Sad, but true!

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:09 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad, but true!

Ian
It happened with the other place they were trying to get everyone out of fast , year before last I think it was, possibly Lebanon.

The Aussies thought they had charted a ship to get people off then the Brits payed higher price and stole it so it was Brits first Aussies second. Yet another case where two would have come in handy.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:21 pm
M S
Forum Regular

M S is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you mean "despite the comments above"? I, for one, specifically wrote, "If you are a US citizen, you *must* use a US passport when entering the US."

Despite this being a somewhat sexist comment, there is *no* requirement to ever change your name in your passport. When travelling, the only requirement is that the plane tickets match the name in the passport.

Ian
It has nothing to do with being a sexist comment. As you say, you need the passport and flight tickets to match. So both passports need to have the same name in them to match with the tickets, dont they? Otherwise they would only be able to use the passport that matched with the flight tickets So my point here is, to your comment is that she would not be able to leave the Uk on her British passport if the name had not been updated to the one that shows on the flight ticket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.