Two Passports

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two Passports

Originally Posted by M S
Which means if you used 2 passports, it may show a record of you being out of the country for a long period as you have used your other one to get in or out.
I don't mean to pile up on you M S, but I want to point out too that there is no period of time that a US citizen must remain in the US (or a UKC in the UK). I think there used to be a restriction on newly naturalized citizens but no longer. In fact, being out of the US for long periods of time was one of the reasons we wanted my DH to natz.

IOW, there is no "too long".
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M S
So both passports need to have the same name in them to match with the tickets, dont they?
Not really, as long as one passport matched the ticket name, I would see no problem. Besides, the US doesn't care what name a person has in their British passport, maiden or married, as long as whatever name you want to use is used consistently on all the US forms.

You are implying that a woman simply must change her name to her hubby's, hence the implication of sexism. You can have your UK PP in one name, and your US PP in another, doesn't really matter.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:42 pm
M S
Forum Regular

M S is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you getting my point that she could not leave the UK on a british passport, which has a different name than the one on the tickets. If the US passport and flight tickets had her new married name, and her british one didnt could she use her british passport and flight tickets to leave the UK??????????
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:48 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M S
Are you getting my point that she could not leave the UK on a british passport, which has a different name than the one on the tickets. If the US passport and flight tickets had her new married name, and her british one didnt could she use her british passport and flight tickets to leave the UK??????????
You wouldn't want to - as you must enter the US on a US passport (as a USC) then you would have to leave the UK on the US passport. The only time you would use the UK passport during the trip would be getting through passport control when entering the UK.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:53 pm
M S
Forum Regular

Thank you Neil, that is the point I was trying to make, as entering the UK you wouldnt have to show flight tickets, that didnt match your passport. On leaving the US, leaving UK and entering the US again, they would have to show the US passport.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:04 pm
M S
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Not really, as long as one passport matched the ticket name, I would see no problem. Besides, the US doesn't care what name a person has in their British passport, maiden or married, as long as whatever name you want to use is used consistently on all the US forms.

You are implying that a woman simply must change her name to her hubby's, hence the implication of sexism. You can have your UK PP in one name, and your US PP in another, doesn't really matter.
I would not be sexist to my own wife who submitted this thread. Or how would I know by looking at her question that she had just got married and was doing the I 130, thanks for the comments though
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:10 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M S
Thank you Neil, that is the point I was trying to make, as entering the UK you wouldnt have to show flight tickets, that didnt match your passport. On leaving the US, leaving UK and entering the US again, they would have to show the US passport.
Nobody had said anything different - the only reference I saw in this thread was using the British passport to enter the UK, not on leaving.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M S
I would not be sexist to my own wife who submitted this thread. Or how would I know by looking at her question that she had just got married and was doing the I 130, thanks for the comments though
Well, we certainly had no clue you were married to the OP. The relationship wasn't obvious. Congrats.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:13 pm
M S
Forum Regular

Well, we certainly had no clue you were married to the OP. The relationship wasn't obvious. Congrats.
You also mentioned that as she is a US Citizen she could shorten the length of time the I 130 took by petitioning in London??? How would that work??
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by M S
You also mentioned that as she is a US Citizen she could shorten the length of time the I 130 took by petitioning in London??? How would that work??
Well, from the sounds of it, she's also a UK citizen too, right? Well, from what I understand, she should be able to file the I-130 for a spousal visa directly with the US Consulate in London, as opposed to filing the I-130 with a USCIS service center in the US. On this forum, we commonly call that Direct Consular Filing (DCF). Filing in London takes generally about 5-6months, instead of the normal 8-10 months filing at a Service Center takes.

A USC can file an I-130 if they have resided in the UK (with the correct visa) for a minimum of 6months (though London has been getting pickier on this). In your case her UK citizenship can be used for the residency requirement, and she file the I-130 in London. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure someone else will pipe up and correct me. But do some research on there for DCF. Also, the moderator Meauxna, has several links in her signature that describe who is eligible for DCF and the DCF process.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M S
That is ridiculous. The two of you have been posting here for a while under 'M S' and M joins with a new nickname and we are supposed to know who she is?
And then you, her husband, post to her thread as if you do not know her?

Originally Posted by M S
Hi, Welcome to Britexpats, congratulations on getting married and your I130 process, I hope it all goes as planned for you and your husband. I would suggest despite the comments above, that you use your US passport as you are a citizen there. Although they may or not stamp your passport, they almost certainly swipe it. Which means if you used 2 passports, it may show a record of you being out of the country for a long period as you have used your other one to get in or out. I would reccomend that you use your US passport in order to keep everything at the USCIS sweet until your husband is there. Do both passports show your new married name??? Good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:26 pm

Well, from the sounds of it, she's also a UK citizen too, right? Well, from what I understand, she should be able to file the I-130 for a spousal visa directly with the US Consulate in London, as opposed to filing the I-130 with a USCIS service center in the US. On this forum, we commonly call that Direct Consular Filing (DCF).

A USC can file an I-130 if they have resided in the UK (with the correct visa) for a minimum of 6months (though London has been getting pickier on this). In your case her UK citizenship can be used for the residency requirement, and she file the I-130 in London. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure someone else will pipe up and correct me. But do some research on there for DCF. Also, the moderator Meauxna, has several links in her signature that describe who is eligible for DCF and the DCF process.
Even as a dual citizen, she must be regularly resident in the UK to qualify to file in London.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
Even as a dual citizen, she must be regularly resident in the UK to qualify to file in London.
Hmmm, but how would they know she wasn't?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:36 pm

Hmmm, but how would they know she wasn't?
The date on her natz certificate?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
The date on her natz certificate?
What if she only gave them a copy of her US passport? I don't think that shows a natz. date. Do you think she could get away with only showing the PP, and not the natz. certificate?

If anything, it wouldn't hurt for them to try the DCF route, the worst that happens is that they lose a few weeks of processing time. They won't even lose the I-130 fee, since London so kindly returns those with the application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.