Tricky Visa Question...Help!

Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

rjstoneuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tricky Visa Question...Help!

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help with this conundrum!

I'm a member of the UK Armed Forces, and will be posted to Las Vegas later next year for a total of 3 years.

I want my girlfriend to come with me, but neither of us want to be forced into marriage we're a bit traditional and want marriage to come naturally rather than have it forced upon us! (Marriage would mean she would come as my dependent)

Does anyone know what Visa we should be looking at so that she can come and be with me, but also means she could work as well?

Currently we've looked at the B-2 visa, however from what I understand she wouldn't be able to work if she travelled on this Visa, and I'm pretty sure she'd go crazy not working for 3 years! (Although I'm sure some would love the idea!)

Hope someone could guide us!

rjstoneuk
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky Visa Question...Help!

Originally Posted by rjstoneuk
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help with this conundrum!

I'm a member of the UK Armed Forces, and will be posted to Las Vegas later next year for a total of 3 years.

I want my girlfriend to come with me, but neither of us want to be forced into marriage we're a bit traditional and want marriage to come naturally rather than have it forced upon us! (Marriage would mean she would come as my dependent)

Does anyone know what Visa we should be looking at so that she can come and be with me, but also means she could work as well?

Currently we've looked at the B-2 visa, however from what I understand she wouldn't be able to work if she travelled on this Visa, and I'm pretty sure she'd go crazy not working for 3 years! (Although I'm sure some would love the idea!)

Hope someone could guide us!

rjstoneuk

She may or may not be able to work if she marries you. You don't say what visa you will be on. Some non-immigrant visas for spouses allow you to work, some don't.

There's the B2 special for cohabiting spouses -- but she won't be able to work.

Beyond that, she'll have to qualify for a visa in her own right. Look for yes answers here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What will your visa be?

That depends on her qualifications and what type of visa she can get. Check the Wiki Guide on this site for "Pulaski's Ways". It lists all the available ways of getting to the USA. I imagine if she wants to work, it will have to be some kind of work visa such an H1B or similar. She may or may not be able to get a job where you are stationed, though.

There isn't really a generic "come as a girlfriend and work" visa. Either she has to marry you to get a dependent visa (of the type that allows her to work), or she will need to get a visa in her own right that allows her to work.

Rene
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

rjstoneuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You don't say what visa you will be on.
I'll be travelling either on a NATO visa or a diplomat visa.

Thanks for the Pulaski link.

The only yes answer would be:

Are you interested in becoming a student and, if so, do you have the necessary capital?
She is very interested in becoming a counsellor, and will be completing an initial course in counselling in the UK before we attempt to get her over to the states. Capital wise, well I guess I'd have to stump that up!

Does this push us towards a specific area now?
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Diplomatic visa for you, F-1 for her.

Rene
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the Pulaski link.

The only yes answer would be:

She is very interested in becoming a counsellor, and will be completing an initial course in counselling in the UK before we attempt to get her over to the states. Capital wise, well I guess I'd have to stump that up!

What Noorah said -- her on an F1 and you on whatever they give you?

The F1 is going to be expensive, I'm afraid. What level of education is she up to? GCSE/A-levels/IB/degree etc?

It may be worth finding out if there's any benefit to marrying -- but you need to find out what visa you're on. She could possibly qualify after a year for in-state tuition rates if she were your spouse.....at a quarter or less of the rate she will need to pay on an F1.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like an A, G or NATO dependant can apply for Employment Authorization.