Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Previous Depression, do we list on medical questionnaire?

Previous Depression, do we list on medical questionnaire?

Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default Previous Depression, do we list on medical questionnaire?

My husband was depressed and taking a low dosage of depression medication from November 08 to May 09. He depression was mainly circumstantial, lack of employment, low self-esteem. On the medical questionnaire, it asks about depression, but as he is not currently taking medication and hasn't seen the doctor in months regarding this, do we still need to list it and will we need a letter from his doctor.

His medical is Monday and I'm worried I've left it too late to get a letter but will try if we need it.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Previous Depression, do we list on medical questionnaire?

Originally Posted by katnap8
My husband was depressed and taking a low dosage of depression medication from November 08 to May 09. He depression was mainly circumstantial, lack of employment, low self-esteem. On the medical questionnaire, it asks about depression, but as he is not currently taking medication and hasn't seen the doctor in months regarding this, do we still need to list it and will we need a letter from his doctor.

His medical is Monday and I'm worried I've left it too late to get a letter but will try if we need it.
It's your call.

If he's asked at the medical to confirm his answers, then he will be lying if he confirms what he has submitted is correct (assuming he doesn't mention it) - and that is the worst possible start to your immigration journey.

If it were me I would mention it at the medical and see what the doctor needs in the way of a letter / background. Who knows, maybe nothing will be needed. Even if somthing is needed it's better to have a week or two delay than to be shown to have been 'economical with the truth' at a later time.

Search for threads from 'Pepsichic' as she went through something similar.

See this one also http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645004

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Dec 16th 2009 at 6:09 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

kn,

Within the last year is not exactly ancient history.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by katnap8
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
kn,

Within the last year is not exactly ancient history.

Regards, JEff
Plus, the question asks "Have you ever had any mental disorder or depression?"
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

I did Kat, and got a letter from my Dr but I outlined what exactly he had to cover, and reminded of him of when I first sought help about it so that he wouldn't have to delve too deeply and take too much time to get the info.

At the medical the Dr. just really just asked me what the issues were, I responded, end of story!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

he may be asked for a letter from his doctor explaining the cause, timeline, medication and prognosis.

He may also be asked to attend a psychiatric review but that will be upto the doctors decision at knightsbridge.

If you cannot get a letter from his doctor before the medical they may give him a letter to give to his doctor asking for information. It can then be faxed back to knightsbridge.

Good luck