Support E2 reform

Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

pinkcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Support E2 reform

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Doesn't matter, my point was that their visas had limits, just as the E-2 does. They accepted the limits despite not liking them as they were well aware of them before they started. Just because they changed their minds whilst there didn't give them any right to stay or to suddenly expect things to change.

But if you're concerned about the 'gap year' analogy I used, I also have an Australian friend who is working over here (UK) as a doctor on a visa that expires in a certain amount of time. Just because she's saving the lives and health of UK citizens does that give her the right to stay longer? No, because again she was well aware of the limits of the visa before she came.
Again, having a temporary working visa with time limits is not the same as investing in a business. It can't be compared to E2 because E2 can be renewed indefinitely, provided visa conditions are not breached. Lots of people come to the US on temp. working visas for a limited time. They go back home without having lost huge amounts of money.

Those on E2 can stay as long as they like, but if they want to sell or retire they must leave.

Why are you so desperate argue about this? Please stop looking for analagies and try to see how much unnecessary suffering is caused by the E2restrictions. If they can be changed, then everyone wins - the investor and his family, the investors employees and their families, and the US economy. Why be so anti?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we are back to a low cost EB5.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkcat
If fighting for good people to be treated fairly has turned people on this forum against me, so be it. I couldn't care less what you think because you are ignorant and selfish. The fact that you cannot compehend why E2 is discriminatory is not my concern. Some on here do sympathise and can see that E2 investors contribute to the economy and deserve recognition and reform. Ironically, the Americans whom we have made aware of our situation are incredulous and extremely supportive, signing our petition and writing to their representatives on our behalf.

Throughout history, laws that were flawed have been amended when the flaws have been exposed. E2Reform.org will continue to fight to help familes affected by the flawed E2 restrictions.

I don't understand the hostility I have encountered here. I don't understand why you are so determined not to help your fellow Brits by doing something as simple as signing a petition. Some seem to be concerned with the tone of my posts far more than the content.

Oh well, no point in flogging a dead horse. Life's too short and I've got plenty of work to do trying to help deserving E2 investors find a path to PR.

I hope the nasty-mouths among you get what you so richly deserve.
Really not getting the whole thing are you?

If you want change, make it attractive to the US government, by getting other countries to change their own equivalent, if those other countries like the UK do so, then the US will follow suit as it gives them further incentive to tax US citizens earning even more money whilst aboard.

You ranting that it's unfair for Brits in the US isn't going to help your course because really at the end of the day, generally it's small potatoes and you all knew the limitations of the visa and yet still decided to go ahead with it.

It's not like it wasn't an unknown that this visa isn't particularly good for people with families or anyone close to retirement.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sue,

Thank you for your civil response.

My question is, what about those who come on E2 to see what life here is like, and decide they'd like to stay? They have no options open to them and THAT'S what needs to change. Who in their right mind walks away from a successful business and a happy new life?

Do you have any suggestions for those who do not qualify for EB-5?
Get a bigger business loan?...keep the business going....like I said, this wasn't designed for families to come over on the cheap.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The same cannot be said for thousands of your fellow Brits. It's beyond me why you are so unwilling to help them.
You keep saying this. You do realize, don't you, that many of the people who post here are not British?

Ian
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:43 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

However, there are others who have been seriously mislead by unscrupulous 'agents' (sadly, many are British). .

YES - I would be more than happy to support legislation to put these unscrupulous people out of business. (And campaign to stop Eastenders making it seem like its just a matter of buying a ticket to come here for a new life setting the expectations of so many so wrongly!)

Change the E2 legislation - NO - I dont think its the right thing to do. If the US did it then so would the UK have to. The US (and any country you care to mention) are perfectly entitled to limit the number of immigrants to their country by any means they see fit. Just because you want something doesnt mean you are allowed to do it. There are lots of devastated people who come and post on here when theyfind they have no means to do ANY VISA to the US at all. Life isnt fair. Im on an L2 - but if my husbands company wont do a green card for us or wants to make redundancies etc then at the end of the visa my only option is to go home! I cant even pay to extend indefinatly.

This forum tries to make any potential E2 candidate WELL aware of its limitations - thats a good thing for the forum to do and is something that will no doubt continue into the future. If people decide they have to come to the US at any cost then they must at least be made aware of these limitations.

and whilst I know you think im snide etc etc - havent you clicked that you are flogging a dead horse here? All you are managing to do is pull more and more people into the post who dont agree with you. Maybe the lack of E2 respondees is down to the fact that they well knew what they signed up for and understand the likely hood of it changing and have decided to get on with it.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:53 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, pinkcat, you're not paying us for happy talk, so you should expect to hear what people really think. You might want to work a little on your PR skills.

Being a 'fellow Brit', were I still considering myself that way, would not be an adequate persuasion. We're not talking about defending Britain from invaders - we're all out here for our own reasons.

As has been said repeatedly, you chose your own poison. Now you have to deal with the side effects. Yes, it is unfair by some measures, but no it is not discriminatory. Even as a non-lawyer, you annoy me with that argument.

So, in summary, you have managed to make one person (me) who was a Brit, is now a US citizen, and a voter (meaning I actually have a true Representative), move from not knowing much about the issue to not wanting to sign your petition.

That's not progress.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Please stop looking for analagies and try to see how much unnecessary suffering is caused by the E2restrictions.
It's NOT 'unneccessary' suffering - they had a choice and simply could have stayed in the UK or gone elsewhere! I find it ridiculous that you are stating that those on a visa that they knew had limitations now consider those limitations to be causing 'unnecessary suffering'.

Those affected by wars, famine, disabilities, etc, face 'unnecessary suffering', not those who have chosen to put their own family in a situation that could have been avoided.

Anyway, I shall leave this now as I think we're going to have to beg to differ. I have two children and would never put them in that kind of situation in the first place regardless of my own wishes and desires. Perhaps that's why I fail to comprehend how anybody that is facing their children leaving the country at age 21 can blame the US visa system for their own mistake?

As I said in my first post, I do wish you luck with your endeavours but won't be signing the petition myself.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;6871218]It's NOT 'unneccessary' suffering - they had a choice and simply could have stayed in the UK or gone elsewhere! I find it ridiculous that you are stating that those on a visa that they knew had limitations now consider those limitations to be causing 'unnecessary suffering'.

Thousand of E2ers have been here for many years and now find they cannot sell their businesses. Were they supposed to forsee the resession?

For many, when they came, the limitations of the visa were not really problematic, but times have changed and many are now suffering financially. That suffering could be relieved if those investors could become permanent residents and not have to live in uncertainty and with the constant cost of renewals.

For those on here who are so fond of analogies - what would you say to people who get divorced - you knew what you were getting into, so you have to stay married? No one knows what the future holds and how circumstances may change. Things have changed for E2 investors and many are now in trouble.

Signing the petition would not cost you anything, and it may well help people in distress. I don't understand your stance.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=AdobePinon;6871182]
As has been said repeatedly, you chose your own poison. Now you have to deal with the side effects
QUOTE]

You haven't been paying attention, have you? I don't need to deal with the side effects, my future is secure. My concern is for those families who are not so lucky.

Try to keep up.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Get a bigger business loan?...keep the business going....like I said, this wasn't designed for families to come over on the cheap.
I don't know a single E2 investor who came here "on the cheap". Most invested a considerable amount of money and forked out plenty for immigration attorneys, fees etc. They continue to fork out plenty for renewals of visas and I-94s.

The L-1 visa was not designed for small investors with questionable businesses in the UK to 'expand' to the US, but that's exactly what's happened, thanks to a loophole, as you know.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You keep saying this. You do realize, don't you, that many of the people who post here are not British?

Ian
Why, when this is a site for British expats? What could possibly be their interest?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

The only way for many people to live and work int he US is via the E2 Treaty Trade Investment Visa. ...

Nina
Nina:

Please get that chip off your shoulder. It is pretty clear what you want to accomplish. However, you analytical skills appear to be in need of improvement. In my opinion, you are demonstrating that you may very well be your own worst enemy.

On the "discrimination" front -- you are not very clear about that and in some of your postings, you even admit that the law discriminates in favor of E-2 non-immigrants.

In one post you suggest that investors are discriminated against because people fleeing other countries for their lives are favored. Yes, they are favored -- in fact, many of the restrictions on both immigrants and non-immigrants are loosened for refugees. That is the point that you lost and offended me. I'm sorry, my grandparents came to this country to escape being murdered in pogroms and had they survived sticking around, would have been caught up in the Holocaust. Your flippant discount of events like that will probably annoy other people.

You argue that people who have been here a long time and have something to contribute to the USA should be allowed to stay -- you conveniently forget that in 1996 that that idea was shot out of the law in a decisive manner. There are lot of people who would like to change that one. But, no, you seem to have a selfish contempt for others suffering the same way.

I have not heard one word of perhaps amending section 249 of the Act which has been there since 1952 and updated only once in 1986. Is a fixed date on that one reasonable? I think not.

If you want the type of "reform" that will help you, you might want to look at your skills of persuasion -- you sure have alienated me -- and I happen to work to help aliens stay here and have a lot of sympathy, if not outright empathy. You have resources and allies -- don't work so hard to alienate them.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

You haven't been paying attention, have you? I don't need to deal with the side effects, my future is secure. My concern is for those families who are not so lucky.

Try to keep up.
Pissing people off and being snide about it certainly isn't helping you out any either.

Personally if I were you, I'd have just posted the link, asked people to look at it and left it at that rather than keep digging your own hole.

Also, the divorce analogy doesn't work, because you always knew you wouldn't be able to get a greencard and would have to leave when it comes to retirement, unless you were young and single and could potentially marry a local, so you really should have considered an exit plan for all outcomes.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I don't know a single E2 investor who came here "on the cheap". Most invested a considerable amount of money and forked out plenty for immigration attorneys, fees etc. They continue to fork out plenty for renewals of visas and I-94s.

The L-1 visa was not designed for small investors with questionable businesses in the UK to 'expand' to the US, but that's exactly what's happened, thanks to a loophole, as you know.
Like I said, it's a viable way for people to come on the cheap because your not pursuing the EB5.

L1, that doesn't happen all that much, because it's bloody hard for anyone in the UK with a small business to do just that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.