Support E2 reform

Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:07 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Support E2 reform

Originally Posted by powerwrap
Give Pinkcat and Zoe a break you miserable lot.
Why? They just think they should be able to buy a gc they don't give anything to the US as most of them buy existing businesses that would still be there if they hadn't bought it for an inflated price. They have this over inflated opinion of their worth.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:08 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkcat
And you be sure not to laugh so hard at your own pathetic humor that you choke to death. That would just be so sad.
I enjoy a good laugh.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by powerwrap
Give Pinkcat and Zoe a break you miserable lot.
we have...OP jumped in with what appeared to be a pretty spammy first post with no introduction nor searching out the topic already.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a feeling that many people posting here if they were on E2's would want reform.

But if as seems likely they is Comprehensive Immigration Reform sic, I can see no reason why someone on an E2 should not also benefit.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

pinkcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Hmm....I think you'll find you would have known all the ball ache at the start, so not being able to get another visa and still going for it is a bit daft to then go and complain now isn't it? Especially when you weren't forced to the US, you have the option of other countries, all over the EU, Canada, NZ, SA, Oz etc...

This is a helpful forum and offers a lot of support, but when someone jumps in and their first post is a bit spammy in appearance, it's bound to get some peoples backs up, especially when you didn't search the topic out, that being generally the net etiquette thing to do.

If you think all E2ers knew the ballache they would be going through, go to E2Reform and read their stories and comments.

As for me, I grew up in Virginia and have always thought of America as my home. my step-father was a US marine who legally adopted me and my sister, but even that wasn't enough to get me back here after living in England for 30 years. My great-grandfather was a native Indian so, in reality, I have more American blood than most Americans.

As for going to another country, that will be a last resort. We want to live here. We "searched the topic out" thoroughly, thank you, and decided the experience would be good for our children even if it was temporary. Now, after living here for several years we, like so many othe E2ers, want to stay.

I don't know what spammy means, so I don't know why people's backs are up. For pity's sake, all we're trying to do is help those who are stuck in system that discriminates against them. Is that so awful?
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

I am not unsympathetic.

But you were not discriminated against, you voluntarily chose a route that had limitations.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what spammy means, so I don't know why people's backs are up. For pity's sake, all we're trying to do is help those who are stuck in system that discriminates against them. Is that so awful?
spammy, would be promoting something straight off on a new forum, it just happens not to be a business, but that's beside the point...this is a community after all, and an introduction and reading the forum usually before diving in gets much better results, that goes for most forums really.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

decided the experience would be good for our children even if it was temporary. Now, after living here for several years we, like so many othe E2ers, want to stay.
I have every sympathy, but you changed your mind on something pretty fundamental.

Best of luck though. I'm all for anyone trying to change something they feel passionate about.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have a feeling that many people posting here if they were on E2's would want reform.

But if as seems likely they is Comprehensive Immigration Reform sic, I can see no reason why someone on an E2 should not also benefit.
"Reform" is a tricky word. I think that is what you are trying to say. Historically speaking, any immigration bill with "reform" in it has ended up being a royal pain. [I know that the 1986 Immigration Reform & Control Act had the "amnesty" therein, but it also introduced very heavy enforcement provisions in it. Also the 1996 Illegal Immigrant Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act was pretty anti-alien.

My POV is that aliens should not want "reform" legislation.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my husband and I have a path to greencard eventually through our son

What you are missing is that E2Reform.org is working towards changing E2 legislation to help ALL those here on E2 visas, not just ourselves.
I don't feel I missed anything. I was responding to your question: "I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions for alternatives to E2 for those in similar circumstances to ours".

If your question was "I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions for alternatives to E2 for those that don't have a cat in hell's chance of staying in the US", I would have avoided the question entirely...
Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It seems nobody has any objections to you trying to help others
but you want us to help you.. help others... coming across as if
you demand it ..

The system does not discriminate against the E-2 people
They made the choice ...with all fact known.

You have two other forums supporting your effort who are more into
E-2 visas ..

I posted the the URL you are plugging as a courtesy to Zoe
earlier in the year ..... The messages should have been seen then
re: the thoughts of the people here.

You cannot win all the people over..and to suggest cos a lot
here are Brits as a good reason is outrageous..

You probably know who I am.. and how much I did for E-2 people
over the years.. but I now find flogging the dead horse for me
the time is over ..but good luck to your endeavour..
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:39 am
Just Joined

pinkcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am not unsympathetic.

But you were not discriminated against, you voluntarily chose a route that had limitations.

We came on E2 because it was that or nothing. Over time we realised that the limitations were discriminatory when viewed in comparison to other visas. We have learned much by experience that we were not aware of prior to becoming E2 investors, much of it from contact with other E2ers whose families have been/will be dessimated by their children aging out or who have suffered huge financial losses due to visa renewal denial.

Immigration should be based on merit. Immigrants should be able to prove that they will be self-supporting and contributing members of society. Do you not agree? If not, why not? Just because someone happens to have a relative here does not mean they will contribute to the economy or in any way benefit America. Being in a position to contribute economically and create employment for US citizens would seem to me to be a sound basis for immigration. Mark Krikorian of FAIR, a very influential man, happens to be of the same opinion.

Often, a whole family is granted green cards because one parent gains sponsorship through employment. That parent can leave the employment after a very short period and the family can stay permanently without having contributed anything.

These are two reasons why the E2 restrictions are discriminatory and need to be changed.

Many organizations are fighting on behalf of illegals and politicians are divided on the issue. No one is fighting for hard-working, English-speaking people who give so much and ask nothing.

We may not be fleeing a third-world country or seeking asylum, but we paid dearly for the privilege of living and working here. I would have thought that, at the very least, we could have counted on the support of our fellow Brits in our fight to stay.

A little understanding of the fact that E2 investors live in constant uncertainty about their futures and are responsible for the livlihoods of their employees would be nice.

I would suggest that those who have nothing supportive or constructive to say stay out of the discussion.

Thousands of British families are adversely affected by this, and Zoe and I are determined to do everything we can to help them.

Please, read some of the comments made by those who have signed our petition if you have a genuine interest in this issue.

We are trying to reach out other E2 investors and are asking for help to do simply that. We don't need the snide comments, the sarcasm and the downright offensive comments from people lucky enough not to be in our situation.

Last edited by pinkcat; Oct 12th 2008 at 2:42 am.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Immigration should be based on merit...
why? because you want to? It's got nothing to do with it, it's what the host country wants, and this is a reciprocal thing after all...

And hard working English speaking Brits, bit off putting...and partly why no one cares is because you can't vote, just the way it is and there are far more issues that need reform to do with immigration than this.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:17 am
Account Closed

I can not think of any Countries Immigration system that is based on merit. UK certainly is not.

And if any country did decide to do it that way I can imagine there would be a big discussion on what merit meant.

E2's are not just British and/or English speaking. It seems to be a visa of choice for those from the far east for example, no idea why.

Whilst I am all in favour of Britains having god given rights, not sure how many Yanks would go along with it.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We came on E2 because it was that or nothing. Over time we realised that the limitations were discriminatory when viewed in comparison to other visas. We have learned much by experience that we were not aware of prior to becoming E2 investors, much of it from contact with other E2ers whose families have been/will be dessimated by their children aging out or who have suffered huge financial losses due to visa renewal denial.

Immigration should be based on merit. Immigrants should be able to prove that they will be self-supporting and contributing members of society. Do you not agree? If not, why not? Just because someone happens to have a relative here does not mean they will contribute to the economy or in any way benefit America. Being in a position to contribute economically and create employment for US citizens would seem to me to be a sound basis for immigration. Mark Krikorian of FAIR, a very influential man, happens to be of the same opinion.

Often, a whole family is granted green cards because one parent gains sponsorship through employment. That parent can leave the employment after a very short period and the family can stay permanently without having contributed anything.

These are two reasons why the E2 restrictions are discriminatory and need to be changed.

Many organizations are fighting on behalf of illegals and politicians are divided on the issue. No one is fighting for hard-working, English-speaking people who give so much and ask nothing.

We may not be fleeing a third-world country or seeking asylum, but we paid dearly for the privilege of living and working here. I would have thought that, at the very least, we could have counted on the support of our fellow Brits in our fight to stay.

A little understanding of the fact that E2 investors live in constant uncertainty about their futures and are responsible for the livlihoods of their employees would be nice.

I would suggest that those who have nothing supportive or constructive to say stay out of the discussion.

Thousands of British families are adversely affected by this, and Zoe and I are determined to do everything we can to help them.

Please, read some of the comments made by those who have signed our petition if you have a genuine interest in this issue.

We are trying to reach out other E2 investors and are asking for help to do simply that. We don't need the snide comments, the sarcasm and the downright offensive comments from people lucky enough not to be in our situation.
You seem to find it the fault of others that they are not sympathetic to your cause. You've got an audience that you assume will be sympathetic but it appears it is not. Do you think it might be something in your presentation?

One problem is that you surround yourself with fellow sufferers, and this produces a very uncritical approach to forming your arguments.

1/ You infer that you are more worthy than "illegals".
2/ You infer that you are more worthy than family-sponsored immigrants.
3/ You claim that you are more worthy than those who gained a green card through employment.
4/ You claim that it is the fault of others that you did not research the visa properly.

There are arguments that can support your cause without alienating everyone. The e2reform.org site is actually quite good at this, and generally manages to avoid these traps.

But I'm afraid the performance in this this thread is nothing short of dire, and E2-ers come across as bitter and twisted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.